Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Alberta (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Need a reef expert.... (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60195)

Juicy 01-20-2010 07:39 PM

Yea the lights are a bit much, but I wanted to get into corals so I thought I would spend the money right off the hop. I do have a reactor running some remover but I haven't really seen much of a change. I will try turning down the CO2 I was unawhare that it could act as a fertalizer...good point. I just started doing the whole rinsing of the frozen food about a week ago after reading Mykas thread on algae. so I will see if that helps.

mark 01-20-2010 07:55 PM

mentioned the farmer, you on well water?

Any sort of macro refugium to help with take out some of the nutrients?

Jason McK 01-20-2010 08:02 PM

Sound like your on your way.

the problem with Algae issues is they take no time to happen but a long time to get ride of

Juicy 01-20-2010 08:11 PM

Yes I am on a well.

Juicy 01-20-2010 08:13 PM

and yes sorry I have a spot in the sump for live rock with a light, like a refugium but the algea has taken over there as well.

Bloodasp 01-20-2010 08:33 PM

some cheato might be good in your fuge and a lot of people are even willing to give it for free. I also started running GFO on my reactor and it made a huge dent on getting rid of my algae not to mention a huge spike in the growth of my corals.

Juicy 01-20-2010 09:03 PM

Well I do appreciate all of the help, I never expected to get so much help right off the bat. I am still getting used to all the slang words, would you be able to enlighten me on what GFO is and I will google the cheato thing.

Again thanks alot for the advise, it goes along way.

Bloodasp 01-20-2010 09:07 PM

GFO is granulated ferric oxide. It helps get rid of phosphates. And cheato is short for chaetomorpha its a type of algae but unlike the ones floating in your tank they are easier to control cause they will stay in your fuge instead of going all over your tank.

hillegom 01-20-2010 09:45 PM

Basically, you use cheato as nutrient export. It grows in the sump binding up nitrate and phosphate. Then you throw it out, or feed it to your tangs, or give some away.

StirCrazy 01-20-2010 09:57 PM

seeing you are on well water a proper RO unit would be very benifitial. you can get a deicent one for 300.00 last time I checked that will do about 100 gal per day. could be cheeper now. this would go a long way to helping but it would take some time as you would have to do water chenges to reduct the metals and phosphates in your water. Other things that can help have been mentiond, growing algae in a refuge ect.

you could also look into clean up crews but that would depend also ont he type of algae you have.

Steve