Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Calgary (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Where to buy sand in Calgary (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112444)

MitchM 03-08-2015 10:13 PM

I've been shopping at Wai's almost exclusively for 15 years for saltwater and Pisces for freshwater.
Which store a person buys from is not always about the price at the cash register.

FishyFishy! 03-08-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitchM (Post 939862)
I've been shopping at Wai's almost exclusively for 15 years for saltwater and Pisces for freshwater.
Which store a person buys from is not always about the price at the cash register.

Good for you Mr. Trump!

MitchM 03-08-2015 10:27 PM

Quality, knowledge, selection all factor into it as well.
There have been many stores come and go that have tried to go the lowest price route, only to find that they have a hard time paying the bills at the end of the month. (in all industries)

Skimmer Juice 03-08-2015 10:47 PM

I don't go for the "lowest price route" Just saying if the store is charging double on livestock there has to be a reason for it. What would entice me to pay $40 for something from Wai's or Pisces when I can get the same thing for $20 at Gold's or Ocean's ? Gold's has quality livestock nicely kept space and Dennis is very knowledgeable can say the same for Ocean's . Both those stores are friendly weather or not Im making a purchase that day . If I dont buy at Wai's he does not have the time of day for me , has always been that way since 2003 when I started in the hobby . So what makes up for the double the price increase ? Like I said I can understand a small mark up but double the price does not make sense and to me is gouging . There is nothing that sets wais pisces stores apart from the 3 I mentioned to make up for that huge price increase.

MitchM 03-08-2015 11:01 PM

I go into Calgary maybe once a month. The fuel costs me at least $30.
I'm not very interested in fish, mostly corals and equipment and Wai's has what I consider to be the best selection and knowledge in town for those items. I haven't had a reason to go anywhere else.
My schedule is pretty full when I go in so I don't have time to go store to store comparing things. Plus I only need to give Daniel an email or phone call and he'll have whatever I want ready for me.

As retail customers we all have different things that appeal to our own situations.

Skimmer Juice 03-08-2015 11:41 PM

that's more than understandable wais does have a great selection of equipment and keeps it up to date . I guess living out of town makes it harder to organize I always get my equipment from golds they don't stock alot but they will order you anything and will price match j&l which is nice . Myself I cant justify buying a crab for $15 but can walk across the street and get for $8 or a shrimp for $50 but can get it across the street for $25 that difference is just to much for me.

MitchM 03-08-2015 11:49 PM

I have found that driving around usually costs just as much in fuel and time as I would have saved by comparing prices, especially if I'm not sure if someone has what I'm looking for.

Skimmer Juice 03-09-2015 12:07 AM

I always do a fish store loop on the weekends just for fun so gas/time never factor in for me . Sometimes I buy sometimes I don't buy , just go to look. My tank is pretty full so I'm usually looking for very specific items that most stores only get once in a while. Wai's I like as a whole just cant bring myself to pay double the money . Wai's also has a pretty epic display tank worth checking out just for that . Pisces on the other hand the tanks are not kept in good order so I will not buy there just off that , without even getting in to the prices .

blackradon 03-09-2015 03:55 AM

I shop at wai's and a the other places around town. I understand everyone will have their own opinion on what to get and where. I like talking with Daniel, his tanks are alway spotless, clean and stocked. Am I gonna drive around for a few dollars, proably not. You might save some coin from buying online or on forums but you don't really know what you might be getting or even worse have your shipment lost or misplaced! I've talked to a few people and everyone!! Has their own opinions and they always will.

CM125 03-09-2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitchM (Post 939862)

I agree, Wais is one of the best places to go. We have been going there for years and will continue to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer Juice (Post 939868)
I don't go for the "lowest price route" Just saying if the store is charging double on livestock there has to be a reason for it. What would entice me to pay $40 for something from Wai's or Pisces when I can get the same thing for $20 at Gold's or Ocean's ? Gold's has quality livestock nicely kept space and Dennis is very knowledgeable can say the same for Ocean's . Both those stores are friendly weather or not Im making a purchase that day . If I dont buy at Wai's he does not have the time of day for me , has always been that way since 2003 when I started in the hobby . So what makes up for the double the price increase ? Like I said I can understand a small mark up but double the price does not make sense and to me is gouging . There is nothing that sets wais pisces stores apart from the 3 I mentioned to make up for that huge price increase.

I disagree, I have been to golds and to oceans and wasn't really impressed, so I guess its really all on your perception. In my experience best price doesn't always mean best product or best service.