PDA

View Full Version : Chiller help... wont chill

nerdz
08-14-2013, 05:03 AM
My pacific Coast 1/10Hp chiller no longer cools...

I don't require it because my house is cool, so I tested it before posting it for sale... Only to discover a problem.

The thermostat functions and the compressor kicks on at set point. I assume coolant leaked out? Actually, I have no idea ha, ha!

So, is there any hope?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Aquattro
08-14-2013, 11:41 AM
It's possible that it needs a recharge, but if you've got a leak in it, it might cost more to fix than you can sell it for.

Magickiwi
08-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Stupid question but you are using a pump to circulate the water through the chiller? I don't know what your knowledge level is so I don't mean to be insulting.

I'd check your vents etc. and make sure they're free of dust and crud. Was it in a location that got a lot of foot traffic?

nerdz
08-14-2013, 05:44 PM
It's possible that it needs a recharge, but if you've got a leak in it, it might cost more to fix than you can sell it for.
Yes, this is probably the case...

Stupid question but you are using a pump to circulate the water through the chiller? I don't know what your knowledge level is so I don't mean to be insulting.

I'd check your vents etc. and make sure they're free of dust and crud. Was it in a location that got a lot of foot traffic?

Yes, pump circulated water through it, vents and pre-filters are clean.

Just didn't know if anyone had any ideas or knowledge of a cost effective recharge option.

Cheap consumer goods like these probably have pinched and soldiered shut piping rather then a valve to recharge refrigerant... I haven't taken it apart yet.

Magickiwi
08-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Yes, this is probably the case...

Yes, pump circulated water through it, vents and pre-filters are clean.

Just didn't know if anyone had any ideas or knowledge of a cost effective recharge option.

Cheap consumer goods like these probably have pinched and soldiered shut piping rather then a valve to recharge refrigerant... I haven't taken it apart yet.

I don't think the CSA would approve refrigeration equipment with no valve to drain, add refrigerant. I am not 100% positive but I am pretty sure it's law that refrigeration equipment must have a way to release (and subsequently refill) refrigerant without allowing it to drain to the atmosphere.

Any experts out there that can provide input?

tang daddy
08-15-2013, 04:26 PM
What kind of chiller is this, the older models back then used r80 gas, even if you wanted to refill the newer gas they use is different gas these days...

If you're sure it's a leaker best to scrap it....

ashr
01-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Where would someone refill a chiller?

Ryanerickson
01-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Refrigeration company or maybe mechanic

makana
01-07-2014, 12:32 AM
If there isn't strong flow through my chiller it actually displays the temp as going up while it is actually going down. Happens every now and again when it gets partially plugged. I would try running hot water through in alternating directions and see if anything comes out.

StirCrazy
01-07-2014, 12:38 AM
I don't think the CSA would approve refrigeration equipment with no valve to drain, add refrigerant. I am not 100% positive but I am pretty sure it's law that refrigeration equipment must have a way to release (and subsequently refill) refrigerant without allowing it to drain to the atmosphere.

Any experts out there that can provide input?

yup they would, lots of sealed systems out there including the fridge in your house. different ways to service them, puncture valves that get soldered in place. when they are filled at the factory they just inject it into the copper pipe pigtails then crimp the ends when they are full, and solder then for the final seal. I know if I got stuff in that was low or empty I would just solder service valves on them.

Steve