PDA

View Full Version : DC return pump on Controller and Battery Backup ?

gregzz4
07-25-2013, 04:08 AM
I'm sort of on the fence about replacing my 120vac return pump with a DC one
I currently use a Reefkeeper Elite controller

Is there a way to connect these new DC pumps with a battery backup, and still have it connected to my RKE controller ?

craigwmiller
07-25-2013, 02:25 PM
I have a similar setup but with one of my MP40's. On my RKEv2 I have one of my PC4's connected to a UPS, and my MP40 is plugged into a port on that PC4. I have the 'default' action for that PC4 port is to be ON.

Not to waste the PC4, I have another couple super-low-draw devices connected to the other 3 ports.

michika
07-25-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm sort of on the fence about replacing my 120vac return pump with a DC one
I currently use a Reefkeeper Elite controller

Is there a way to connect these new DC pumps with a battery backup, and still have it connected to my RKE controller ?

Tagging along because I'm curious too. I also have an RKE and am using a DC pump on my OM 4-way. I did have it plugged into a battery back up and not the RKE at first, but I would really like to do both too.

MarkoD
07-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Why do you need a return pump on a battery backup? If the skimmer,heaters, reactors etc are not running what's the point of keeping the return pump going?

Just use the backup for power heads. They use less power and will do more good

gregzz4
07-26-2013, 01:40 AM
I have a similar setup but with one of my MP40's. On my RKEv2 I have one of my PC4's connected to a UPS, and my MP40 is plugged into a port on that PC4. I have the 'default' action for that PC4 port is to be ON.

Not to waste the PC4, I have another couple super-low-draw devices connected to the other 3 ports.
Have you ever tested your setup ? I see how it can work and like the idea
I would just set the one port to 'On' when it looses communication, and have the other 3 to 'Off' so they don't draw down the UPS

Ah, this would also keep the Head Unit powered
Interesting ... :eyebrows:

gregzz4
07-26-2013, 01:43 AM
Why do you need a return pump on a battery backup? If the skimmer,heaters, reactors etc are not running what's the point of keeping the return pump going?

Just use the backup for power heads. They use less power and will do more good
I have a battery backup for my MP10s, and that's good enough for the DT
They can run up to 36 hours

But, if the power goes out for a long enough time, I'd like to avoid die-off in my sump and 'fuge

craigwmiller
07-26-2013, 01:49 AM
Have you ever tested your setup ? I see how it can work and like the idea
I would just set the one port to 'On' when it looses communication, and have the other 3 to 'Off' so they don't draw down the UPS

Yes I've tested it a few times. I've even unplugged the head unit as a test, and it takes maybe 20 seconds to revert to defaults but it works great, and it hand failed during testing. We had a power outage a few weeks back and the 'real' test was good too.

gregzz4
07-26-2013, 01:58 AM
If anyone has an idea, I'd like to know of a way to run the pump on DC backup as I believe it will be cheaper to build my own rather than buy a UPS

gregzz4
07-26-2013, 01:59 AM
Yes I've tested it a few times. I've even unplugged the head unit as a test, and it takes maybe 20 seconds to revert to defaults but it works great, and it hand failed during testing. We had a power outage a few weeks back and the 'real' test was good too.
Great, thank you Craig