PDA

View Full Version : clean old sand

darkreef
05-24-2013, 03:39 PM
so i bought someones tank the other day because they upgraded.
they gave me around 50lbs of live(dead now) sand .. i want to clean it and reuse it and add live rock to seed it. whats a good way to clean sand. i live in a apartment and im willing to work my butt off to do it. i cleaned 100lbs of play sand for my fresh water took two days . thanks

lastlight
05-24-2013, 03:42 PM
i use a small pail in the sink and place a small amount of sand in it. fill with water then start grabbing handfulls and grinding it against itself and thoroughly swishing it around. fill again and repeat until the water runs clear. then i scoop from that pail with my fine fish net and run each scoop under the tap to remove fines and dump into my clean container.

i used this method to do my 50 lbs in my tank and i literally dumped my sand in and the tank remained completely clear. the grinding is great for exfoliating too lol.

sphelps
05-24-2013, 06:28 PM
i use a small pail in the sink and place a small amount of sand in it. fill with water then start grabbing handfulls and grinding it against itself and thoroughly swishing it around. fill again and repeat until the water runs clear. then i scoop from that pail with my fine fish net and run each scoop under the tap to remove fines and dump into my clean container.

i used this method to do my 50 lbs in my tank and i literally dumped my sand in and the tank remained completely clear. the grinding is great for exfoliating too lol.

I do the same but use a large bucket and the tub. I also skip the net part.

hfp75
06-10-2013, 07:27 AM
i put the old sand in a bucket, put a garden hose into it (to the bottem), and with a hand or two work the sand until it is all clean water running from the bucket - and I do it in my yard/driveway.