PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the Livest Live Rock in Edm

theokie
05-12-2013, 03:54 PM
After a nearly 3yr build process I'm finally adding saltwater to my system, should be finished tonight. So now my search begins for the freshest live rock in Edmonton. Now I live about an hour out from the city so I'm just asking around to see which store, the canreef members feel, has the freshest live rock right now.

My tank is going to be fallow for probably 6 months as it has 150lbs of dry rock in a 350 gallon system volume. I'm looking to add about 100lbs of live rock between my two displays, my macro fuge and my pod fuge.

So I'm asking you, the city dwellers, who do you think has the best liverock in stock right now, before I begin calling all the stores in Edmonton in the morning and beginning my quest.

And if asking for specific stores violates the forum rules, I apologize to the moderators in Advance, I just really don't have the time to drive to all the various stores and then finally go back to the one or two stores that have the freshest stock.

I'm not looking for cured rock, I want as much biodiversity as I can get

Many Thanks

howdy20012002
05-12-2013, 05:50 PM
IMO, buy LR out of someone's tank if you are looking for really good rock that is full of life.
most LR out of stores, including my own, is pretty bare because of the way it is shipped without water for at least 48 hours.
that being said, there can be also be a lot of stuff (hitchhikers, bad algae, etc) you don't want with LR when buying fully established rock.
good luck in your hunt.

paddyob
05-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Cured rock is full of life.

Uncured is dead matter rotting. If you are looking for good rock, buy cured.

Most store rock is not cured when they first get it, but cures within weeks of being in the tanks.

RedCoralEdmonton
05-12-2013, 06:51 PM
We have about 300 lbs of fully cured Live rock.... I know because I just brought it from home.... full of life and no pests!

Steve

theokie
05-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Wow, I'm impressed with the responses and PM's that I have received, it appears I will have no issue finding the rock that I need.

Thank you all

marine_addict
05-14-2013, 12:28 AM
I am in the process of switching over a few tanks (downsizing).. if you are interested I will soon be selling my live rock. and also possibly my some live sand/crushed coral mix from my tank I will not be using. It has all been running in my tanks for abt 2 yrs... let me know if you are interested.