PDA

View Full Version : Hanna Testers Pros/Cons?

HaZRaTTy
04-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Hey

I'm on the fence of buying a Hanna Phosphate Device, I see that they also make a Ph,Alk,Calc.

Does any one use them or own them what do like about them? I mean I can see the Pros of having these units but wondering what the cons are?

spit.fire
04-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Phosphate tester is good, calcium one sucks

Phil
04-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Had them and sold them stick to regular test kits in my opinion

gregzz4
04-01-2013, 12:50 AM
I have the PO4 tester
I've only used it twice so far, but what I don't like about it is;

Error margin of +/- 0.04
First test came out @ 0.04, and the second one @ 0.08, so what is my true reading ?

Having to polish the cuvettes and handle them by only the lid or threads is a pain, but I guess it's the price we pay to use it

The time limit between the reference sample and the test sample is barely long enough to add the powder, mix it and then insert it for the test

I tried using one cuvette for the reference test and the second one for the actual test. This gave me more prep time to mix the powder, but leaves a margin of error as I didn't use 1 cuvette for the reference and the test
I then prepped a powder packet, did a reference with 1 cuvette, mixed the powder in the same cuvette and barely had enough time to get it into the tester before the 3min limit ran out
This second test was twice as high as the first one ...

Difference between the 2 cuvettes could be the culprit, or the margin of error :noidea:

I still prefer the accuracy of this over my Seachem kit as that thing never shows any PO4 when I use it, unless I use the reference fluid

subman
04-01-2013, 01:10 AM
I had the Ca and Alk ones and sold them to go to the red sea reef foundations pro kit. I just found the Hannah's where inaccurate, due to as what Greg said having to keep the vials perfectly clean.

toxic111
04-01-2013, 01:20 AM
I found both the PO4 & the ALK tests to be great. I haven't tried the Ca one though.