PDA

View Full Version : Favourite/best bio-pellets?

aquatechy
03-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Please share your thoughts.... reasons behind preference could be in regards to longevity, shape (ergo tumbling), ease of use, cost, etc...

pinkreef
03-28-2013, 11:14 PM
TWO little fishes are cheapest ones ive seen

kien
03-28-2013, 11:15 PM
My favourite are the vertex biopellets simply for the fact that they are readily available. That is, just about every LFS has them. They are a nice shape and size and tumble well. Having said that, I have never really had much of a problem with any of the biopellets on the market. I've tried mostly all of them now I think. In fact, my current reactor has some of the original biopellets (lentil looking pellets) as well as BRS biopellets, Vertex Biopellets and one other brand I forget. They are all tumbling together nicely. I actually like to buy up other people's discarded biopellets when they decided that they don't want to use them anymore :biggrin:

The Grizz
03-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Vertex here.........

Bblinks
03-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Vertex

naesco
03-29-2013, 09:54 PM
None!

Next to ich issues, on this board the use of bio pellets cause reefers the most problems.

I don't understand why reefers continue to court disaster after reading so many bio pellet horror stories.

AquaPin
03-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Vertex for over a year now.

kien
03-29-2013, 10:07 PM
None!

Next to ich issues, on this board the use of bio pellets cause reefers the most problems.

I don't understand why reefers continue to court disaster after reading so many bio pellet horror stories.

I totally agree! For the love of god, people, please stop using bioPellets! Shut them off and mail them to me. I will make sure they are disposed of naturally.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8188/8407855734_4af3eec24e_o.jpg

Disposing evil bioPellets since 2009 ---^

Seriously, send me your pellets. I provide this disposal service free of charge.

naesco
03-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Kien lol

I just see so many successful sps reefers with outstanding tanks face problems and coral losses.
I mean if you have a nice sps tank, if it ain't broke don't fix it

kien
03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Kien lol

I just see so many successful sps reefers with outstanding tanks face problems and coral losses.
I mean if you have a nice sps tank, if it ain't broke don't fix it

Ya, it's painful to read about them for sure.. Sadly this is a hobby where we are constantly dumping things into our tanks that have the potential to nuke our tanks. You can easily nuke your tank with improper vodka dosing, improper zeoVit dosing, a bad batch of salt, a bad batch of activated carbon, bad lights, bad ATO, bad, doser, and on and on and on.

Also, for those sending me their pellets, you do not need to clean them. I provide that service as well.

Reef Pilot
03-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Vertex for me. But just as with ich prevention and cure, if you don't do it right, lots of problems. However, if done right bio pellets are wonderful.

I inherited a very mature tank (10 years old) a few years ago, that had high nitrates (up to 100 ppm), high phosphates, and full of algae, detritus, and cyano. With the help of bio pellets and MB7 (a must IMO), it's been running clean for some time now with zero nitrates, near zero phosphates, and no algae or cyano problems. So the bio pellets definitely work, no question.... And my SPS is growing nicely.

albert_dao
03-29-2013, 11:25 PM
LOL, progress and advance techniques do not provide expected results when used incorrectly --- BAN THEM FROM THE MARKET!!!!

Reef Pilot
03-29-2013, 11:32 PM
LOL,... and like Kien in Calgary, I will happily accept bio pellets from anyone in the Vancouver area, and promise to dispose of them properly...

Skimmerking
03-29-2013, 11:36 PM
well I started using Vertex from Denny and Grizz telling me to use it. MY Nitrates are ZERO I like it just have to work on the Hair algae problem. with a RSM 250 its not right to have a tang in there need a Sea Hare.

Lance
03-30-2013, 03:01 AM
Vertex