PDA

View Full Version : ethyl cyanoacrylate

Switch Blade
03-23-2013, 08:02 PM
hey guys i got this Instant Krazy glue from home depot and all it said it contains was ethyl cyanoacrylate, i read up on other forums.saying that its reef safe but i would like to double check here. thanks

Karsten
03-23-2013, 08:19 PM
hey guys i got this Instant Krazy glue from home depot and all it said it contains was ethyl cyanoacrylate, i read up on other forums.saying that its reef safe but i would like to double check here. thanks

I have used that stuff no problem. I used lepage ultra gel. It even sets when wet

Switch Blade
03-23-2013, 11:18 PM
i know that we are looking for 100 % cyanoacrylate when getting coral glue but not sure about the "ethyl " part.

Ian
03-24-2013, 05:32 AM
As far as I know ethyl cyanoacrylate (ECA)is what is usually reffered to as cyanoacrylate. ECA is what crazy and super glue brands names are made from. Cyanoacrylate is the family of chemicals used and ECA is one specific chemical from that family. My bet is you are safe.

ckmullin
03-24-2013, 06:22 AM
$1 stores will also carry. save some $.

Skimmerking
03-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Hey guy I use the Gorilla glue it also has the same stuff in the Crazy Glue Gel and its alot of 6 bucks too check it out,but there is two types of the glue make sure that you look at the package first.

aqua80
03-24-2013, 05:37 PM
As far as I know ethyl cyanoacrylate (ECA)is what is usually reffered to as cyanoacrylate. .

exactly

DigitalWeight
03-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Hey guy I use the Gorilla glue it also has the same stuff in the Crazy Glue Gel and its alot of 6 bucks too check it out,but there is two types of the glue make sure that you look at the package first.

I have used this stuff too - works well but I just wish it was a bit thicker. Is there a thicker version?

keigan
10-31-2013, 08:48 AM
Hello, CanReef! First post (and aquarium) - I thought this deserved its own thread, but I just registered so I can't post new topics yet. Anyways, I just wanted to give anyone who may be looking for an underwater adhesive a heads-up about my experience trying to glue semi-polished river rocks. I used Instant Krazy Glue Advanced Formula Gel. The ingredient listed is ethyl cyanoacrylate, with which some people seem to have had luck. This particular product was not suited for the job. Glued ornaments, after 24 and 48 hours of curing, still clouded water and crumbled when handled after soaking. The longer the soak, the weaker the bond became.

I should note that this is one particular product in a vast Krazy Glue line, so I am not saying they don't have a product better suited for aquarium use. I've contacted the manufacturer for advice.

It is also worth noting that as semi-polished river rocks are my medium, it seems likely that the problem is further exaserbated by the fact that the surfaces would not be flush. This is mentioned on nearly any cyanoacrylate adhesive packaging.

The exact product can be found via google, string: "site:walmart.ca instant krazy glue advanced formula gel" - first result.

I'm doing a bit of research on the subject, I'll share my findings. I'm about to test another gel superglue...this one has "cyanoacrylate" rather than "ethyl cyanoacrylate" on the packaging and specifically states that it is waterproof. It was my assumption from many forum threads in search results that any cyanoacrylate adhesive would be waterproof. Hope I can help others avoid the same hassle!

ckmullin
10-31-2013, 03:04 PM
For stones use common 2 part epoxy I've used that for my live rock and had zero problems. I've used two types the putty which has to be kneaded as well as the liquid which has to be stirred to mix.

windcoast reefs
10-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Ive never had a problem with any of the cyanoacrylates.

I buy mine from Lee Valley tools, I get a 2 fl oz bottle for $12. Its enough to last me pretty much all year and you can choose what viscosity and dry time you want.