PDA

View Full Version : blue tang HELP!!

-LMAO_
02-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Heyy guys wanted to ask you all you wonderful people for you amazing knowledgable help :)...So i set ip a 100 gallon reef tank about 4 months ago. I have 2 fire fish 2 clowns 1 mandarin goby 2 sand sifters 2 chromis 1 cardinal 1 wrasse. i have about 60 pounds of live rock and a bunch of diff corals...So far everything is good everything is alive all the fish r happy and my corals are loving it. all my levels are good aswell amonia, nitrates ect...So my friend is closing down his tank and he wants to give me some of his fish....he wants to give me Fox face, Blue hippo tang, kole tang, Naso tang, Lyretail anthias, Sleeper goby, flameback goby

So do u guys think its okay to take them...hes had them for 3 years now all of the fish together and hes had no problems...Im only scared about the blue tang because i heard they can get ick very easily...what are your guys suggestions?
anything and everything will help THANK YOUUU :D

Madmak
02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
IMO - If you're going to get new fish, especially a Regal Tang, you're typically better off getting them from another hobbyist's tank than from an LFS's system. Blue Tangs are notorious for ich but don't let that deter you from re-homing him to your tank.

-LMAO_
02-07-2013, 09:36 PM
LFS as in a store right?

-LMAO_
02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
sorry still getting used to the lingo on here ahaha

Madmak
02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Ya, local fish store.

No worries.

Rogue951
02-07-2013, 10:18 PM
go for it. get some cleaner shrimp. may help.
I've kept tangs for years and never had an ick outbreak and I don't bother to quarantine.
I put it down to a stable balanced system, the cleaner shrimp and wrasse may help... lol.
but do a through inspection as well. As you said though, healthy in a friend's tank probably is ok.

if you do grab all his fish, I'd be more concerned with your bio-load suddenly jumping from all those fish. Watch your nitrates/ammonia/etc.

Madreefer
02-07-2013, 10:25 PM
You've opened up a can of worms. You've got 9 fish already and looking to add some fish that can get too big for your tank. Do you have a skimmer good enough to handle the bioload? All the tangs and the foxface will get too big for your tank other than the kole tang. As for the ick there is means to combat it which another member has posted but I will add that soaking food in garlic helps as well.

-LMAO_
02-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Concerning the bioload i have a huge skimmer in my sump....i have one euro reed skimmer rated at 200 gallons and another coralife skimmer rated at 100...and i have a fluval 405 filter hooked up aswell so im hopeing those should be good enough for the tank? also i have multiple snails and crabs and a urchin to help with the cleaning

Rogue951
02-07-2013, 10:34 PM
btw this should be in marine chat, not buy and sell....

Aquattro
02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
btw this should be in marine chat, not buy and sell....

moved.

bloat
02-07-2013, 11:17 PM
dito on cleaner shrimp...
After you put the new fish in, spend your money on a good skimmer and cleaner crew aswell before putting any more stuff in.

IMO a skimmer is one of those pcs of equipment you can't spend too much on.
Euroreef skimmers are good....but be carefull on skimmer ``ratings`` as these are mfgr suggestions, and do not take bioloads into account.

I know the high end ones are expensive, but they will retain some value incase you sell it down the road, and for the most part do a much more efficient job.

May wanna ween out your fluval and use some socks for mechaincal filtration. More live rock couldnt hurt

Remember,
Patience is the key, slow and steady will give you long term success

-LMAO_
02-07-2013, 11:26 PM
ahahah thanxs aquatttro....So im grabbing the fish tonite...any special way of adding them to the tank...like should i put the blue tang in last or first?....leave the lights on or off....feed them rite after i put rhem in...any tricks?

-LMAO_
02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
soo cleaner shrimp sounds good ill grab emm tommorow...how many should i get?...also so pur live rock in the sump?

bloat
02-07-2013, 11:38 PM
you would prolly benifit the most by buying some liverock from a fellow reefer on here who is either downsizing or getting out of the hobby. That way the rock is full of benificail bacteria...and cheaper

-LMAO_
02-08-2013, 02:11 AM
okayy perfect ill look into that for sure...im grabbing the fish in a hour and tips for introducing them to the tank

ensquire
02-08-2013, 02:22 AM
My spider senses are telling me that the Tang Police are on the way...
I think that the Naso and Regal will outgrow your tank
okayy perfect ill look into that for sure...im grabbing the fish in a hour and tips for introducing them to the tank

-LMAO_
02-08-2013, 02:27 AM
I guess thatll just mean i gotta upgrade wen that happends ahahha oh well :P

Madmak
02-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Lights out seems to help when introducing new fish to a tank. So does a minor re-aquascape. Who goes in first shouldn't matter much.

You might get lucky with a group of fish being introduced to another group of fish. Let us know how it plays out.

naesco
02-09-2013, 02:08 AM
You've opened up a can of worms. You've got 9 fish already and looking to add some fish that can get too big for your tank. Do you have a skimmer good enough to handle the bioload? All the tangs and the foxface will get too big for your tank other than the kole tang. As for the ick there is means to combat it which another member has posted but I will add that soaking food in garlic helps as well.

You are right on.

You should be adding no more than one fish per month at the start up. You bio load is too high for the fish you already have.

Most reefers will agree that your tank is too small for tangs

howdy20012002
02-09-2013, 02:41 AM
about the cleaner shrimp
while they are good at cleaning certain things, according to experts, there is no evidence of their ability to help with ich or to remove it.
I am not going to get into the tang debate as there more than enough people for that.

-LMAO_
02-09-2013, 02:42 AM
Everything went perfect last nite...i brought the fish home last nite in two seperate salt buckets i had a drip line in each and had very few drips going...i let it drip for a hour took a couple cup fulls out and let it drip again for a hour and a half...i had turned my lights off right when i got home so my fish didnt know what was going on either...i slowley started adding the fish in and they all right away sat down by the sand in the front huddle together...my two clown fish and my cardinal went to check them out and actually hung out beside them the whole night ahahah...i turned my lights on in the morning and everything was perfect all the tangs were swimming around the blue tang seemed perfectly fine...i had thawed some food the night before and added ginger extract to it so it could absorb all night...i fed them at 12 and they all ate the food...so everything seems it worked out fine....thanx everybody for the help appreciate it :)!!