PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer advice

swimfan
01-20-2013, 02:24 AM
I'm sure this is a commonly asked question, but would really appreciate opinions on skimmer selection, finally taking the plunge and have the funds to purchase a skimmer. Been reading as much literature as I can find. Curiosity has me interested in the csc450, but I really like the vertex alpha 250. The skimmer will be used on a 225 gallon with a 100 gallon sump. I am currently running a 75 gallon with some lps, but want something with the capability to eventually handle a large bio load. Hoping to keep it under 1500, don't care about names just want a solid workhorse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

albert_dao
01-20-2013, 02:38 AM
I'm sure this is a commonly asked question, but would really appreciate opinions on skimmer selection, finally taking the plunge and have the funds to purchase a skimmer. Been reading as much literature as I can find. Curiosity has me interested in the csc450, but I really like the vertex alpha 250. The skimmer will be used on a 225 gallon with a 100 gallon sump. I am currently running a 75 gallon with some lps, but want something with the capability to eventually handle a large bio load. Hoping to keep it under 1500, don't care about names just want a solid workhorse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

There's a huge dropout in the capability of a mega-sized skimmer, such as what you're looking for, to work on a system significantly below its rating (I.E. your system).

How soon do you plan to upgrade?

swimfan
01-20-2013, 03:31 AM
There's a huge dropout in the capability of a mega-sized skimmer, such as what you're looking for, to work on a system significantly below its rating (I.E. your system).

How soon do you plan to upgrade?

My apologies I wasn't very clear of the set up. I currently have a 75 gallon with roughly 90lbs of live rock and a remora pro skimmer, has a medium bio load I will call that tank 1

Tank 2 is running right now it is an oddball size(aquarium calculator says it 115) It is going to become the sump to the 225, when it is ready, it has about a 150lbs of live rock in it plus basic of equipment. No livestock other than Copepods

Tank 3 is going to be the display tank. It is a 225 gallon freshwater(still running) with its own freshwater sump. my plan was to drain it in the very near future, refill it with saltwater, switch the drain lines from its freshwater sump to tank 2, let it acclimate, and when the parameters are good move the inhabitants and rock from tank 1 into the 225 and have just one saltwater tank roughly 325 -340 gallons of water. The initial bio load will be small, but want a skimmer that will accommodate my addiction, which slowly will become a medium to heavy bio load. Hoping to nail it and get the right skimmer now, so I don't have to buy another one for a long time

I apologize for such the long explanation, but really appreciate all of your input or criticism.

Just need the skimmer, last critical component I need. Was going to drain the 225, refill with fresh salt water mix and run it into tank 2(

Proteus
01-20-2013, 03:41 AM
I could never justify spending $1300 on a skimmer. The csc is almost half the price with great reviews

Skimmerking
01-20-2013, 03:51 AM
[quote=swimfan;784506]Curiosity has me interested in the csc450, but I really like the vertex alpha 250. quote]

Well curiosity killed the cat and you have answered your own question \the Vertex cone 250 there is nothing wrong with that skimmer I have owned it and it was a brute and flawless. look at my name here I have pretty much owned every type of skimmer that has hit the market. hence the username. lol im not blowing my own horn however I have had many people on this site PM me on asking what skimmer to get for his or her system.

the 250 will work trust me.

swimfan
01-20-2013, 04:00 AM
I could never justify spending $1300 on a skimmer. The csc is almost half the price with great reviews

I like the sounds of the csc 450. I could only find one review, that being said they were quite happy with it. Trust me I would rather not spend that much either. That's why I really want to do my homework on this purchase. Slightly hesitant to invest in such a new product, don't want to have to reinvest in the next year or two, if there is kinks to work out. I like the vertex, because of their longevity in this hobby. But agree twice the price is a big hit.

swimfan
01-20-2013, 04:03 AM
[quote=swimfan;784506]Curiosity has me interested in the csc450, but I really like the vertex alpha 250. quote]

Well curiosity killed the cat and you have answered your own question \the Vertex cone 250 there is nothing wrong with that skimmer I have owned it and it was a brute and flawless. look at my name here I have pretty much owned every type of skimmer that has hit the market. hence the username. lol im not blowing my own horn however I have had many people on this site PM me on asking what skimmer to get for his or her system.

the 250 will work trust me.

Appreciate the reply. Havent found any bad feedback on them, but the cheapskate in me hopes their is some serious competition to it for less money. Lol

Proteus
01-20-2013, 04:10 AM
Pm Waynemah. He's running the csc on his 225.

swimfan
01-20-2013, 04:19 AM
Pm Waynemah. He's running the csc on his 225.

Waynemah is the only review I could find, but thanks for the help Titus99. I like the idea of the double sicce pumps, but that also can lead to more things that can break. That being said, they could afford to break quite a few times before they equal the cost of the red dragon.

albert_dao
01-20-2013, 06:13 AM
Waynemah is the only review I could find, but thanks for the help Titus99. I like the idea of the double sicce pumps, but that also can lead to more things that can break. That being said, they could afford to break quite a few times before they equal the cost of the red dragon.

The RD on the Alpha isn't as expensive as people think it is to replace ($250ish).

BlueTang<3
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
I owned a lower end skimmer before even tho it was a great beginner skimmer. I then purchased a bubble king I have since purchased a second
and third bubble king. They are almost identical skimmers if not the same as the vertex for me the answer would be simple. On a side note how quiet is the sicci pumps in the other skimmer, I had bought a sicci return pump and its terrible for noise. In my experience if u keep snails out of the impellers the rd pumps are bomb proof.

swimfan
01-20-2013, 07:00 PM
I owned a lower end skimmer before even tho it was a great beginner skimmer. I then purchased a bubble king I have since purchased a second
and third bubble king. They are almost identical skimmers if not the same as the vertex for me the answer would be simple. On a side note how quiet is the sicci pumps in the other skimmer, I had bought a sicci return pump and its terrible for noise. In my experience if u keep snails out of the impellers the rd pumps are bomb proof.

According to the csc450 review, they are quite silent, to be quite honest, the sound is a non issue in my setup, the sump is in the basement. Haven't found a single unhappy customer of the bubble king or vertex, would love to hear other people's skimmer choices on the 3-400 gallon range. On my 75 gallon. I did my homework(obviously not enough lol) and went with a remora pro, that I was never truly happy with. Definetly have more time than money, so really want to explore every possible avenue with this purchase.

nrosdal
01-20-2013, 07:01 PM
for the 1800 lph of air and 38watts power useage of the alpha 250 paying $1200ish seems pretty crazy when you could go with a RLSS r10-i with 1800lph of air draw and 40watts power usage and a controllable pump for $749. Or the CSC 450 with 1680lph @ 52watts for $800. Or even JNS skimmer (which has very solid reviews on RC by Mojo (he is the USA version of Skimmer King) and many others.

I get paying for a name, but all three are solidly built skimmers with great power efficiency and big air draw.

Good luck with your purchase and lets see some pics and a review with whatever you get.

www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-psa250/Vertex+Alpha+Cone+250+In-Sump+Protein+Skimmer+-+Up+to+350+Gallons.html

http://reefsupplycanada.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=reef-supply-canada&item=59262

https://www.goreef.com/CSC-450-Cone-Skimmer-w-2-X-SICCE-PSK1200-PumpS-500G.html

swimfan
01-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Now you really have me thinking Nick, thanks for the suggestions. Has anybody had or know of anybody who has used the rlss db10i. Would love to hear their reviews on them.

for the 1800 lph of air and 38watts power useage of the alpha 250 paying $1200ish seems pretty crazy when you could go with a RLSS r10-i with 1800lph of air draw and 40watts power usage and a controllable pump for $749. Or the CSC 450 with 1680lph @ 52watts for $800. Or even JNS skimmer (which has very solid reviews on RC by Mojo (he is the USA version of Skimmer King) and many others.

I get paying for a name, but all three are solidly built skimmers with great power efficiency and big air draw.

Good luck with your purchase and lets see some pics and a review with whatever you get.

www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-psa250/Vertex+Alpha+Cone+250+In-Sump+Protein+Skimmer+-+Up+to+350+Gallons.html

http://reefsupplycanada.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=reef-supply-canada&item=59262

subman
01-27-2013, 06:16 PM

There is WAY more to skimmers than strictly numbers. I like Bluetang had multiple lower end skimmers and finally broke down and bought a BK and now on #2 (as I upgraded the tank) I am a firm believer in getting the best skimmer you can. Save money in other places

nrosdal
01-27-2013, 06:28 PM
i have not seen any customer reviews and i know that not a large amount have been released yet. But here is what i could find.

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2012/09/the-rlss-db10i-skimmer-ditches-the-volute.html

swimfan
01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
i have not seen any customer reviews and i know that not a large amount have been released yet. But here is what i could find.

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2012/09/the-rlss-db10i-skimmer-ditches-the-volute.html

I too, have been looking for reviews and haven't found anything yet. I like the variable speed pump idea, and the needle wheel concept, but can't find a single soul, who runs one and can give an assessment.

swimfan
01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
I agree subman, I think the skimmer is the most crucial component, and I'm not opposed to spending more for a better product. I never thought it would be such a difficult decision. Besides the numbers mentioned before, and the craftsmanship of the product itself what is the other measurable variables.

I guess I am wondering how big of a difference one could expect, from just comparing the three nick mentioned.

Poor analogy, but I have friends that won't use anything but Callaway Golf clubs, and swear they are a better clubs, and I have friends who play with much less expensive clubs, strikingly similar in build, materials and have used both, now in that case I would buy the less expensive ones because, speaking for myself couldn't notice a difference, however if I could notice a difference I would gladly justify the callaways.

Besides those numbers what else should a person look for in a skimmer?

There is WAY more to skimmers than strictly numbers. I like Bluetang had multiple lower end skimmers and finally broke down and bought a BK and now on #2 (as I upgraded the tank) I am a firm believer in getting the best skimmer you can. Save money in other places

chromakey
01-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Good Day:

Here is link to a post with various articles on filtration and skimming from The Greater Victoria Aquatic Society:

http://tgvas.com/Forum/showthread.php?72-Protein-Skimming

Michael