PDA

View Full Version : are you Running tank with out filter sock

bkelly
01-12-2013, 04:36 PM
How many are running their system without a filter sock or floss filtration/ I usually use filter socks but when I dont my LPS are really full, not sure how it is on the SPS over time. The tank gets more glass algae when not using one.

Reef Pilot
01-12-2013, 04:43 PM
I was running without filter socks for a while, but found that my tanks were just not as clean. Had more detritus and my skimmer neck needed to be cleaned more often. On one of tanks I now have a high capacity 7 inch sock, which lasts a week or more before needing to be changed.

Pan
01-12-2013, 05:07 PM
When I had my 200 Gallon tank, I ran them for awhile. But you have to maintain a strict cleaning schedule, which is good advice all around.

However while initially they kept the water clean, they proved far more harmful in the long term than anything. I maintained crystal clarity in the water by other means and I think that it is preferable than filter socks.

I personally think they do more harm than good. I think of filter socks as a reason to get a bit lazy in other husbandry duties. (My opinion only, and I'm sure many who use them maintain strict maintenance on their tanks). I just found that when everything else was dialed in right, I did not need them.

The Guy
01-12-2013, 05:58 PM
I use 4"x16" and my tank is very clean, BUT they are a PITA to turn inside out to get the pods etc. out of the dirty ones, but worth the effort I guess.

riceboy
01-12-2013, 06:03 PM
I used to but am to lazy to clean them so I ended up switching to filter floss and just change it out weekly. I just cut to the tray size and let it do its thing.

Proteus
01-12-2013, 06:10 PM
I use them as I find my skimmer doesn't work as hard and waters cleaner. I change mine daily

Nano
01-12-2013, 06:18 PM
No place for a sock on my sump.. might just hook up an aquaclear on it one day.

FitoPharmer
01-12-2013, 07:07 PM
I find filter socks to be one of the most effective versions of mechanical filtration you can use on a reef tank. Setup correctly they can be changed out in under a minute, and with a few extras on hand you can cycle them and remove waste from your tank unlike any other filter. It just sucks opening most canisters and taking them to a sink for a cleaning, even once a week never mind daily.

lpsreefer
01-12-2013, 08:14 PM
i use filter floss more for pods growth, i only change when water flow is effected

Madreefer
01-12-2013, 08:33 PM
I use filter socks in my own tank and dont find that it takes up too much of my time changing them. I look after a 350G tank and wish I could use filter socks on that one. But i'd be there too often as they dont even know how to empty the skimmer cup. I have to vacum out the sump at least once a month due to all the detritus. Filter socks would eliminate alot of that.

hydrofire
01-13-2013, 02:28 AM
I would say im not planning on using filter socks at all for primary filtration, I think they should be used if things get bad and only when your babysitting the tank

sunoka
01-17-2013, 04:47 PM
I have never used one. I have no filters and my water is very clear. I figure I lucked out on the correct amount of LR, sand and other organic life. I have been running this for 5 years now and am not about to change a thing. If it is not broke don`t fix it or add or change.

LOL the dude that owns a local fish store could not believe I had no extra filtering and was shocked to here water changes were 6-8 weeks apart.

Leah
01-17-2013, 06:29 PM
I do use them either. I do enough laundry.

lastlight
01-17-2013, 06:53 PM
i used them on my 400 but hated the added maintenance and they clogged up fast. now i have no option to use them and run a little filter floss instead. i actually rinse it out during my weekly changes and make a chunk of it last a few weeks.

marie
01-17-2013, 09:41 PM
I've never bothered to use them.....I'm too lazy to keep on top of cleaning them. I've never wished I did use them either :lol:

Trabby
01-17-2013, 10:17 PM
No sock, no skimmer. 90g mixed reef.:mrgreen:

KineticReef
01-22-2013, 03:48 PM
I use a 7 inch 200 micron filter sock on my reef. It prevents any leftover food or detritus from building up in my sump or damaging delicate pumps and equipment.

Rogue951
02-22-2013, 04:20 PM
I only use it to keep the bubbles from the downflow contained and not create salt creep everywhere.
If I could find an alternative I would get rid of the sock.
I end up catching lots of pods and baby brittles etc in it =(

bkelly
02-23-2013, 05:32 AM
Im now running my tank with out filter socks , its skimming nicely and no ill effects

kien
02-23-2013, 06:18 AM
I used to use socks but get really tired of the extra maintenance of cleaning them. Plus, doing a load of laundry for 6 filter socks just seemed wrong to me. I suppose I could have bought more and stretched out the cleaning interval but then I'd have dirty filter socks laying around probably molding. Anyway, now a days I only put on a sock if I've done some aggressive cleaning in the tank like sand stirring or rock scrubbing that kicks up major particulates. Otherwise I run sockless and my tank hasn't crashed yet. :biggrin:

Reef Pilot
02-23-2013, 01:23 PM
I run the larger 7" diameter by 16" long sock and change it once a week. Can last up to about 10 days if I want. The smaller 4" inch socks that most people use, need to be cleaned far more often.

paddyob
02-23-2013, 02:29 PM
I posted this poll last week. Hope it answers your question as it did mine.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94604