PDA

View Full Version : comparing skimmers

Calgarynewtankguy
01-11-2013, 12:44 AM
I have a 150 Gal display and 40 gal sump/refugium. I was running a red sea C skim 1200 that i bought used and now it doesnt seem to be able to main tain a good skim. have to play with it to even get it to bubble to the top of the cup. I am fairly new to this hobby. I am looking at 2 skimmers to replace it and wanted to hear some experience from both they are:

Reef Life support R8

Super reef octopus 2000 internal

both are internal skimmers but I am too new to decide which would work better for me. any thoughts?

RDNanoGuy
01-11-2013, 03:50 AM
If you're willing to spend $500 on the RLSS then i would look at the SRO 3000 instead of the 2000.

That said, i love my SRO 3000 EXT. Great build quality, excellent pump, easy to adjust and very consistent. If you get neck cleaner too it works even better. Mine pulls about 2 litre's of black goo every week and i haven't had to fiddle with it in over 2 months.

The internal SRO's work best in 6" of water though so you may need to make a little stand for it if your sump level is too deep.

claymax
01-11-2013, 04:46 AM
or you could wait until reef octopus comes out with their dc line of skimmers, they use the same pump as the rlss and will hopefully be a bit cheaper. the air draw numbers on those pumps are sick!

Calgarynewtankguy
01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Time is going to be a problem. My water condition is starting to reflect the poor skimming I have right now. So the sooner the better. My wife is going to do water changes until I can get the skimmer on place.

I will definitely look into the SRO 3000 but I have to go with an internal model do to space issues.

reefwars
01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
i have one r8-i left in stock i cant keep these skimmers in the store they sell the minute the land , reef octopuss is a good choice as well.

skimmz has a leopard series which is also dc and run the same pumps as R-O and rlss

Calgarynewtankguy
01-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Denny, I sent you an email. I will take that R8 just need a full price with tax and my wife will pick it up later today

reefwars
01-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Denny, I sent you an email. I will take that R8 just need a full price with tax and my wife will pick it up later today

ahhh ok i havent done emails yet im slow today and still home lol , ill be in shortly and will get an email to you as soon as im in:)

cheers

denny

Proteus
01-11-2013, 04:51 PM
skimmz has a leopard series which is also dc and run the same pumps as R-O and rlss

Denny do you have the leopard skimmers I was under the assumption that they never released them

reefwars
01-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Denny do you have the leopard skimmers I was under the assumption that they never released them

no we havent gotten them in yet , they are being released soon.

right now only rlss has the dc skimmers out and in production to my knowlege , dave would know more about that though then me:)

cheers

Aqua-Digital
01-11-2013, 10:56 PM
dont hold your breathe on the Leopard. While the Skimz body is amazing and the reason why we have adopted them on the CSC range of skimmers using Sicce pumps which has produced phenomenal reviews here on Canreef. Skimz supplied electronics come with a very difficult to manage warranty process.

Because we love the bodies so much and did not want to lose access to such a fine piece of engineering we redeveloped the CSC range using Sicce pumps supplied direct to us where we have full control over the warranties

so for us or anyone to go gung ho into the leapard with their DC pump would be a concern, so for now we are working with Skimz to produce the Leopard with a Sicce pump under our CSC branding.

So far we have not been able to get the performance figures that we require and are still playing around with fine tuning the Sicce to pull enough to run the Leopard. I do not imagine any launch until this Fall.

As always honest frank and open, but important everyone has the right info.

As it stands the CSC 150, 250 and 450 have been exceeded all expectations both in review and sales and this makes us question is there a market for another engineered skimmer to the line

albert_dao
01-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Coralife Super Skimmer is a surefire winner.

lockrookie
01-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Sea clone 100....

Calgarynewtankguy
01-12-2013, 01:07 PM
I went with the RLSS R8i and will be installing when I get home in a couple weeks. Hopefully the C-skim will hold out until then.

Thank you all for the input and advice

reefwars
01-12-2013, 03:20 PM
I went with the RLSS R8i and will be installing when I get home in a couple weeks. Hopefully the C-skim will hold out until then.

Thank you all for the input and advice

your gonna love it buddy:)

cheers