PDA

View Full Version : P04 making corals unhappy

NIVLEM09
12-16-2012, 08:06 PM
As per the title:i have HA and valonia in my system but when i test the water for P04/N03(API test kit) it reads ZERO.so i decided to purchase a Hanna P04 test kit 4 days and my phosphate is thru the roof...i don't have any fish in my tank and i just dose Zeovit Pohl's xtra every day,sponge power and coral vitalizer 2x per week.so,i went to j&L yesterday and got some Chaeto and another TLF reactor/rowaphos to help lower the excess nutrients.i've had to put buying SPS and LPS on hold til my tank recovers.not really sure if it's my LR leeching P04 or it's coming from the D/I filter?suggestions?

Reef Pilot
12-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Yup, before I got my Hanna Phosphate Checker, I too, thought my P04 was OK. I first brought my N03 to zero with my bio-pellets and MB7, and then finished the job with my GFO reactor to get my phosphates near zero as well.

I think the live rock and sand do hold P04, and of course with feeding, you are always adding more. Only way to get it down all the way is with GFO or a similar product.

BTW, I used to run a refugium full of Chaeto, and it barely made a dent in my N03 and P04. Maybe it works to help keep it low once you have it down, but it sure didn't do much for me when both N03 and P04 were high in my tank.

FragIt Dan
12-16-2012, 08:18 PM
What level do you consider 'through the roof'? Is it possible you are contaminating your test at some point? It seems odd that you get such different readings. If you are running GFO already, at close to manufacturer recommended qty and flow rate, I would suggest changing the GFO rather than adding more. If you are concerned about your DI, just run a test on your RODI water, it is easy to rule out. I would expect below ~0.20ppm PO4 coming out of RODI. If it is significantly above this, you will either need to slow the flow through the DI, or change it, but it is hard to know which without knowing how fast your flow is and without the actual results from your testing.
Dan

NIVLEM09
12-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Using the Hanna high range p04 checker,it read 12 ppm.unfortunately,i only have an API D/I unit not an RO/DI:redface: and the source of p04 is THE D/I unit.so,i ordered an RO/DI unit and GFO high capacity from BRS just now.i've had to put my sps corals in my brother' tank til the problem is resolved...i don't wanna lose my corals and especially my beloved Ice fire echinata!thanks guys.

sully08
12-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Can anyone recommend a good GFO ?

Proteus
12-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Can anyone recommend a good GFO ?

rowaphos

monocus
12-17-2012, 12:32 AM
you might want to check your nitrates at the same time.you can build an inexpensive nitrate reactor if you get high readings

ScubaSteve
12-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Using the Hanna high range p04 checker,it read 12 ppm.unfortunately,i only have an API D/I unit not an RO/DI:redface: and the source of p04 is THE D/I unit.so,i ordered an RO/DI unit and GFO high capacity from BRS just now.i've had to put my sps corals in my brother' tank til the problem is resolved...i don't wanna lose my corals and especially my beloved Ice fire echinata!thanks guys.

Save-on in North Van has a RO/DI station where you can fill up jugs. Maybe head there and get some water for a few water changes while waiting for your BRS RO/DI.

NIVLEM09
12-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestion...i was actually thinking about doing that:biggrin:Save-on in North Van has a RO/DI station where you can fill up jugs. Maybe head there and get some water for a few water changes while waiting for your BRS RO/DI.

Ryan-b
12-17-2012, 02:32 AM
Are you using the ppb p04 Hanna reader if so you need to multiply the number by 3.066/1000. Which would be .037 which is pretty decent.

kien
12-17-2012, 02:44 AM
BRS brand GFO is great stuff. Better than rowaphos in my opinion. It rinses a heck of a lot quicker than rowaphos that's for sure.

Proteus
12-17-2012, 03:10 AM
BRS brand GFO is great stuff. Better than rowaphos in my opinion. It rinses a heck of a lot quicker than rowaphos that's for sure.

Not supposed to rinse rowa

kien
12-17-2012, 03:12 AM

Really? You just let all that dust and fines into your tank? I always rinse my media. I haven't used Rowaphos in a long time but I thought it said to rinse it in the instructions.

monocus
12-17-2012, 03:29 PM
i run 5 gal into my waste pail when i change my media till the water clears in the reactor

kien
12-17-2012, 03:35 PM
i run 5 gal into my waste pail when i change my media till the water clears in the reactor

That's what I've always done too. I did a little googling and apparently there are tonnes of people who don't rinse their GFO. That's news to me. I've always rinsed mine and most people I've spoken to rinse theirs. Honestly, I don't know why you wouldn't rinse it? It's quite dirty with all the loose GFO fines which just ends up in your tank. I know it's harmless and your tank will clear up but still, rinsing the gfo a simple step that can eliminate this.

lastlight
12-17-2012, 04:52 PM

They do indeed say not to rinse Rowa. I think it's because they know their product is so annoyingly fine that you'll lose half of it (and it's effectiveness) down the drain if you do.

In a reactor this does indeed make a mess in the display so I ignored those instructions back when I ran Rowa on my 97 before switching to BRS.

In a bag tho I currently don't rinse it and no fines leave the mesh bag so it's win/win.