PDA

View Full Version : Bubble in primary seal - help!

carriej
12-10-2012, 01:27 AM
*&%@#*($%@(&

Rawr.

I have had such a darn journey to get this tank set up. Bought a brand new tank to avoid issues - and what do we have...

Tank has been set up for 2 months, just discovered this...

Almost at the very top. Bubble in main seal. 125 gallon perfecto tank.

What do I do... I'm about to pitch a fit if I need to drain this thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/photo28.jpg

soapy
12-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Don't sweat it, there is no way that will cause a failure. Of course realize this is internet advice and carries no warranty...

carriej
12-10-2012, 01:34 AM
It's in my basement on a concrete slab. Honestly, it can't hurt anything if it explodes. Water will just go down the drain. Along with my hopes and dreams.. LOL

I'm more worried about my future livestock and corals. I would be TICKED if I wasted $1000 on living things and my tank failed... I don't care if the seam is "ugly" or what-have-you.

It has lifetime warranty but I don't want to go through that hassle if this does not effect the structure of the tank.

mike31154
12-10-2012, 01:49 AM
What soapy said. I'm no tank builder either, but from the looks of it the 'bubble' is in the layer of silicone that is applied after the glass panes are actually bonded together. If not mistaken, a layer of silicone is added at all seams after the tank is assembled & smoothed out to give that 'finished' look. If that tank isn't leaking right now, I wouldn't sweat it. Clearly the quality control person was having an off day. But this is the internet after all....

carriej
12-10-2012, 01:55 AM
It's in the silicone that sandwiches the two panes of glass together. I understood this as the "primary seal". I have no idea how to build a tank, but a buddy of mine does quite a bit of it. He says not to worry but man... I am not loaded and would be so disappointed to have a tank explode and lose a bunch of fish and corals.

That other bubble you see is actually in the water caused by powerhead.. We are looking at the lengthwise skinny bubble in the seam.

Proteus
12-10-2012, 01:59 AM
That's why my next tank is black silicone. Can't see the bubbles

sphelps
12-10-2012, 02:03 AM
It's typical, pretty hard to build a tank without some bubbles in the seam. If you only have one you're doing pretty good. That's certainly not going to cause any issues.

lastlight
12-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Look around at most of the custom tanks around and I'd be amazed if any had a seal as pristine as that. You have only one bubble that's actually pretty amazing. Evey tank I've had no matter how nice they look have had plenty of bubbles. I think I was told once that as the seals cure and tighten up they can actually create those marks.

My 225 was black silicone and I worried even more lol. I could see the joint lighten in colour as I filled the tank and the pull on the seam increased.

That tank looks very well built.

toytech
12-10-2012, 02:06 AM
lots of tanks have bubbles in the seal its no biggie , start looking at other peoples tanks and i bet you will find more.

tim the toolman
12-10-2012, 02:06 AM
With a bubble like that you should have absolutely nothing to worry about. I'm sure you have a top brace around the top of the tank ie a euro race or a plastic brace. These will act as a secondary control in that area of the tank and also just keep an eye on the bubble, it won't just cause a fail instantly it would gradually spread until it caused a fail. 99% sure you have nothing to fear, and if it means anything I work with glass and silicone regularily.

waynemah
12-10-2012, 05:39 AM
My 225 was black silicone and I worried even more lol. I could see the joint lighten in colour as I filled the tank and the pull on the seam increased.

Well there goes my nights sleep lol. :doh:

lastlight
12-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Well there goes my nights sleep lol. :doh:

Oh ummm... this was ANOTHER 225 I had =)

Not that hard to believe I had another is it? (If it helps you haha).

waynemah
12-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Oh ummm... this was ANOTHER 225 I had =)

Not that hard to believe I had another is it? (If it helps you haha).

Your build list doesn't have any repeating numbers :sad:... I'm not worried, the best part of this money pit we call a hobby is the build anyway.

carriej, sorry for jacking your thread :razz:

If it were me, I'd let the builder know of the bubble and see what they want to do about it.

carriej
12-10-2012, 03:12 PM
LOL.. It's ok, but yeah I think I would lose my mind if the silicone was black!

I'm like a hawk... I looked this tank over for 30 minutes and made the truck drivers wait for me. It had to be special ordered in for me, and I couldn't return it to a store so I wasn't taking chances! I can't believe I missed the bubble on my initial inspection... And then missed it even after being set up for months!

However mostly everyone says it should be fine.. So hopefully it is!

If it explodes.. I will let you all know Hahaha!

soapy
12-10-2012, 04:10 PM
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac29/soapy_photos/bubblesIMG_2488.jpg

Here is the bottom corner of my 80 gallon tank, no leaks in 4 years.

denny_CC
12-10-2012, 04:18 PM
youll be fine;)

globaldesigns
12-10-2012, 08:15 PM
As others have stated, you are fine. I have never seen a tank without some bubbles in the seal.

carriej
12-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Ok, thanks guys!

Guess I know who all to call when it explodes.. :)

LOL, kidding!

toytech
12-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Legaly now you have it in writing that we all said it would be fine so if it kersplodes were all on the hook , or at least you have a nice list of people to send really terrible vibes at.

gregzz4
12-11-2012, 02:43 AM
so if it kersplodes ...
Taken right from the Toyota Tech Guide, chapter 12, section 6, paragraph 2, so you know it's all good :mrgreen:

toytech
12-12-2012, 12:20 AM
kersplode:The massive and wet explosion of a sealed container causing mass destruction
And Or:the massive and wet explosion of all your hopes and dreams causing massive emotional destruction.
Right there out of the manual ,right below rocketsurgery, you cant make this stuff up .

gregzz4
12-12-2012, 12:59 AM
:lol: