PDA

View Full Version : Looking for GHL reviews from users...

Rice Reef
12-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Hi all,
I am now planning a second tank and thinking about trying the Mitras. It may be a bit early but I'm looking for some real user reviews on these lights and not sales pitches please.

Thanks.

Rice Reef
12-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Can one of the mods amend the title from "GHL" to GHL Mitras?
Thanks

BlueTang<3
12-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I have 4 on order I think there are only 3 users here in canreef that have the light that I know of. If you check out sphelps build thread he has it.

xenon
12-03-2012, 12:47 PM
rodneyri on RC is getting amazing results.

I am holding off on the Mitras until the Radion Pro is out. If I can get similar coloration from upgrading my Radions, I will be happy.

sphelps
12-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I have three, what exactly is it you're looking for or want to know? I did a bit of a blurb in my build thread when I got them.

Myka
12-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Steve, how do you feel the Mitras compares to MH as far as visual color appearance? Any disco? I think you've only had them for 3 weeks, right? So you can't really comment on growth and what coral color the lights produce. I'm checking out rodneyri's results...seems he's had the Mitras the longest.

sphelps
12-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah about three weeks now.

Color is really good, definitely comparable to metal halides and there is zero disco effect. I've seen the disco effect in Radions, the GHLs are substantially better.

I do have new growth starting in SPS colonies and frags I've recently acquired, unless you run them side by side with another light source it'll be hard to find direct comparison results as far as growth goes. The bottom line is these do definitely grow coral. I still run them pretty low as far as output goes as well, I'll be cranking them up shortly. I also still need to get my Ca reactor tuned better to match the tank, Alk is currently pretty high so conditions aren't optimal yet.

The one I really like is that everything in the tank is happy, SPS holding color, soft corals fully expanded, LPS corals fully expanded with good color. Plus the tank is 32" deep and I have some SPS pretty low, montipora is even currently on the sand bed and doing well. This has definitely not been the case for me with previous lighting, it's almost like I can put things anywhere and they do well. I think it comes down to a very even light distribution.

I did take a few snapshots of pretty much all the SPS when first introduced so I will be able to present growth shots down the road.

Myka
12-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Hey that's great Steve! I'm thinking about jumping on the bandwagon, but so far I haven't really found a fixture that seems good enough to bother, you know? I'm liking the comments about the Mitras. The biggest complaint seems to be software (also the easiest fix). I'm having a hard time with the price though considering how quickly LED units are being upgraded and modified, and the newness of the Mitras units. I mean already the Mitras has been upgraded to wireless, that's a huge change, and I wouldn't be happy if I bought the first version with the wireless coming out so soon afterwards. When I buy lights, I want them to last at least 4 or 5 years before I upgrade. Oh the indecision...

sphelps
12-03-2012, 03:34 PM
While I've had the occasional discretion with GHL support staff I have to admit the company is very customer focused, more so than most. The products are also rock solid and only released when they are ready. There was a reason this light was in production for so long and obviously things changed during this time, don't think you can hold that against them. Other companies have different motivations, get working models out the door and replace them each year with new versions and make promises regarding upgrade kits but don't release them until well after new models are in stores, there are obvious reasons for this but it's certainly not customer focused. The Mitras has been well thought out, while other companies will scramble to get new models out to compete GHL will likely focus on improving software and firmware like they always have with Profilux. Even when Profilux was eventually to upgraded to 3, DIY upgrade kits for P2 users were made available at the same time. GHL products also typically hold value well, the prices don't drop dramatically shortly after release, I don't think a P3 cost much less now than it did a few years ago.

In terms of the Radion Pro, I have a hard time understanding the extra $300 for HV LEDs. Given the history I wouldn't expect that price to hold long. The price difference between the Radion Pro and Mitras isn't really that much either and for some tanks the Mitras is more cost efficient due to it's wider coverage.

sphelps
12-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Also in terms of the software I'm not sure what the issues are, I think it's great but I'm use to GHL software from the Profilux I've had for several years. Might be a little learning curve for those unfamiliar, plus any real issues would be fixed by GHL in short time. Some beta testing to expected with new products. I can also tell you the GHL software offers way more control than Ecotech, I don't think Vegas even have software yet plus don't forget the GHL has on board control, can't think of any other contenders that have that.

Myka
12-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with you that the Mitras probably won't be replaced as quickly as most of the others have, and I would definitely be counting on software upgrades that GHL has always been very good about doing. Maybe there will be some special holiday pricing so I feel better about this hobby sucking the guts out of my wallet. Sometimes I have to shake my head when I think of all the money I spend on my tank! :lol:

I'm definitely turned off the AI products, they are changing too much. I think they need to spend more time in production. I haven't been very impressed by tanks lit by these LEDs either.

I was thinking there must be more coming with the Radion Pro since $300 for a handful of UV lights just doesn't make sense, but maybe not? I know I'm not willing to pay $300 just for that. I know those particular LEDs are pricey, but come on now. I'm interested to see if there are other upgrades to the Pro model when it comes out. The reliability issues with the G1 kinda turn me off the Radion though...good customer service or not.

sphelps
12-03-2012, 07:02 PM
The Pros will also have yellow LEDs but I didn't give credit for that.

Aqua-Digital
12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Here is the link spoken about this is the latest page but best start from the beginning it will give a better idea of independant reviews

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20950667#post20950667

Skimmerking
12-03-2012, 11:45 PM
I honesty don't think that the price for the mitras is actually worth the bottom line is if they dropped the price a lot you would get more people buying the LEDs and that pretty much the truth on that. I can pretty much guarantee u could have everyone on canreef on LEDs if u drop the price to a normal price paying 800. Bucks for 1 light is kinda crazy and now u have the pro radion and now the mitras which is a lot of money but that is my opinion

Aqua-Digital
12-03-2012, 11:52 PM
I honesty don't think that the price for the mitras is actually worth the bottom line is if they dropped the price a lot you would get more people buying the LEDs and that pretty much the truth on that. I can pretty much guarantee u could have everyone on canreef on LEDs if u drop the price to a normal price paying 800. Bucks for 1 light is kinda crazy and now u have the pro radion and now the mitras which is a lot of money but that is my opinion

Not going to get further involved in this thread but price point is important to cover - Unfortunately the cost will not be coming down, the Mitras especially took 2 years of development just to start, then you get into the patented parts that are used to provide the same effect you would with T5. then dont get me started on the linear dimming curve, then the up to 40" end user reported spread from one fixture etc etc.

Then there is the individually hand made side of things.............. :wink:

Jakegr
12-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Following this thread as I am looking for a LED fixture too right now, and I'm a Profilux 3EX owner.

I have a hard time justifying the price tag, especially in comparison with other fixtures... twice the price of the Radion G2, three times the price of an A350 etc... but given the great reviews of the Mitras so far, it is an interesting option. Particularly because of the high spread and PAR shown by Rodney on RC and the lack of spot lighting.

I have heard some concerns about electrical components not being isolated from the fan, like they are in the Radion. Also, some have complained about the location of the USB port.

Aqua-Digital
12-04-2012, 01:44 AM
I have heard some concerns about electrical components not being isolated from the fan, like they are in the Radion. Also, some have complained about the location of the USB port.

The fans suck air in from the top (fresh air) and blow down and aross the board and out the sides, the unit is also advertised for non enclosed tanks so you will not have one single issue.

The USB port is for limited use, once programmed you do not have to use it again and once the unit is wireless enabled then other than for firmware you will never use it.

The price comes from all the plus points you mention for sure. spread etc etc

Hope that helps ;)

Skimmerking
12-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Not going to get further involved in this thread but price point is important to cover - Unfortunately the cost will not be coming down, the Mitras especially took 2 years of development just to start, then you get into the patented parts that are used to provide the same effect you would with T5. then dont get me started on the linear dimming curve, then the up to 40" end user reported spread from one fixture etc etc.

Then there is the individually hand made side of things.............. :wink:

See mike that is why you are the provider with all the answers.

Rice Reef
12-04-2012, 04:28 AM
I have three, what exactly is it you're looking for or want to know? I did a bit of a blurb in my build thread when I got them.

Thank you for sharing. I really like your methodical approach in sharing your new build... With regards to the Mitras can you tell me if the spread is as good as they advertise and is the blending of the lights anywhere close to resembling the t5s as the pictures from what I have seen so far are hard to tell. I have had the chance to see some very nice tanks using t5s and i have not seen any LED lights (IMO) so far being able to mimic t5 lighting.

If they are the real deal would you hang two lights length wise parallel to the display or width wise like how you have them set up on your tank?

Thanks

Wayne

sphelps
12-04-2012, 04:38 AM
Thank you for sharing. I really like your methodical approach in sharing your new build... With regards to the Mitras can you tell me if the spread is as good as they advertise and is the blending of the lights anywhere close to resembling the t5s as the pictures from what I have seen so far are hard to tell. I have had the chance to see some very nice tanks using t5s and i have not seen any LED lights (IMO) so far being able to mimic t5 lighting.

If they are the real deal would you hang two lights length wise parallel to the display or width wise like how you have them set up on your tank?

Thanks

Wayne

The spread is huge on these fixtures, you could cover my tank with two fixtures (64x32) but I feel three is better number given the depth (32) and the demand required for an SPS dominant tank. There's a picture of a 40" x 40" tank with a single fixture given complete coverage. I'm not going to reconfigure my fixtures for a demonstration, too much work would be required in regards to mounting given some limitations I have on space above.

I think I've mentioned color blending a few times now. In regards to comparing to T5s, not sure it can be done. They are completely different and offer more similarities to Halides than T5s. The lack of optics and larger spread design does reduce spotlight and shimmer effects compared to other LED fixtures so perhaps the Mitras is what you're looking for but maybe not. If T5s are really what you like then why not run T5s?

apexifd
12-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Hi all,
I am now planning a second tank and thinking about trying the Mitras. It may be a bit early but I'm looking for some real user reviews on these lights and not sales pitches please.

Thanks.

thought you had no space for a second tank.

sphelps
12-04-2012, 04:52 AM
In regards to the price of these units, if it was too high the demand wouldn't exceed the supply. Simple concept. The price isn't cheap and it's not for everyone but there are plenty of people who would easily justify the cost, the value is there.

Rice Reef
12-04-2012, 05:01 AM
The spread is huge on these fixtures, you could cover my tank with two fixtures (64x32) but I feel three is better number given the depth (32) and the demand required for an SPS dominant tank. There's a picture of a 40" x 40" tank with a single fixture given complete coverage. I'm not going to reconfigure my fixtures for a demonstration, too much work would be required in regards to mounting given some limitations I have on space above.

I think I've mentioned color blending a few times now. In regards to comparing to T5s, not sure it can be done. They are completely different and offer more similarities to Halides than T5s. The lack of optics and larger spread design does reduce spotlight and shimmer effects compared to other LED fixtures so perhaps the Mitras is what you're looking for but maybe not. If T5s are really what you like then why not run T5s?

Thank you for your input. I don't think you will need to reconfigure your lights. I will look for the 40x40 tank and that should help my decision on the light placement down the road.

I agree with you on the LED where they resemble more halides and lack the richness (colour) that t5s emit. I have considered running a tank with just t5s but after considering the costs LED is a better choice. Perhaps the Mitras would be a better. Again, thanks.

denny_CC
12-04-2012, 05:02 AM
In regards to the price of these units, if it was too high the demand wouldn't exceed the supply. Simple concept. The price isn't cheap and it's not for everyone but there are plenty of people who would easily justify the cost, the value is there.

couldnt have said it any better, honestly there are alot of interested people and we cant keep up with the demand for them, so id say price is def fair :)

sphelps
12-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Thank you for your input. I don't think you will need to reconfigure your lights. I will look for the 40x40 tank and that should help my decision on the light placement down the road.

I agree with you on the LED where they resemble more halides and lack the richness (colour) that t5s emit. I have considered running a tank with just t5s but after considering the costs LED is a better choice. Perhaps the Mitras would be a better. Again, thanks.

I'll save you the trouble :biggrin:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc211/zeebull/K70_8913Sm.jpg

I think the richness you describe is totally a matter of opinion. Personally I think a tank lit by T5s alone doesn't look very good at all in person but they photograph better than any other due to even light distribution. However the shimmer and contrast for LEDs/Halides is way better in person, much more natural and the light focuses on the coral better.

Rice Reef
12-04-2012, 05:09 AM
thought you had no space for a second tank.

I don't.... But I may find a spot in the garage... The second tank would be a holding tank for frags and when they are ready I can put them in the main display... It will also be my " insurance policy" in case if any of the corals die off... Cheaper than having to buy them all over again.

Rice Reef
12-04-2012, 05:20 AM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc211/zeebull/K70_8913Sm.jpg

I think the richness you describe is totally a matter of opinion. Personally I think a tank lit by T5s alone doesn't look very good at all in person but they photograph better than any other due to even light distribution. However the shimmer and contrast is way better in person, much more natural and the light focuses on the coral better.

Thanks! One light does seem to cover a lot of that tank... In that case I would run two like yours...

You may have a point on the t5s and it may be the overkill in the shimmering effect from the Radions that I find less appealing that is steering me to look at other lighting options. If I do change to the Mitras I would still keep my Radions... For the second tank, of course.

apexifd
12-04-2012, 05:28 AM

that's impressive!!! I wonder hows the PAR reading at the furtherest corner of the tank.

apexifd
12-04-2012, 05:30 AM
I don't.... But I may find a spot in the garage... The second tank would be a holding tank for frags and when they are ready I can put them in the main display... It will also be my " insurance policy" in case if any of the corals die off... Cheaper than having to buy them all over again.

I know someone started a frag tank just for that reason. and he filled the frag tank with all new frags instead.

Rice Reef
12-04-2012, 05:37 AM
I know someone started a frag tank just for that reason. and he filled the frag tank with all new frags instead.

Hmmmm... I wonder who? When I am ready to start my second one will be a holding tank. I am not gonna kid myself... I will be holding some new additions but it will primarily be my insurance policy in case something goes wrong in the main tank. :wink:

Mike-fish
12-04-2012, 07:46 AM
I will be running an open top canopy on the 270 can I use them. I run full glass tops by the way it that changes things

Aqua-Digital
12-04-2012, 12:02 PM
full glass will efract any illumination fixture, thats the only thing to remember.

intarsiabox
12-04-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm definitely turned off the AI products, they are changing too much. I think they need to spend more time in production. I haven't been very impressed by tanks lit by these LEDs

I know, first they release the Sol's in 2007 and now Vega's five years later. That's crazy, electronics never change these days. They should be following ecotech's example.:lol: