PDA

View Full Version : API Tap Water Filter question

RenHoek104
10-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering, is there anyway to reuse the filter cartridge once it has turned purple/blue? I know that if we heat activated carbon we can bring it back to life, but I was wondering if the same could be done with the filter. It uses adsorption right? So if the film is removed it should go back to its original self.

If anyone has input I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll try it out and give you news.

Ren

Aquattro
10-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Yes, you can recharge them, but it's an ugly process. I recall it's hydrochloric acid and lye(?). I used to do it years ago, but I would do several at a time, and if you do it indoors, you're likely to kill your family with fumes. And burn stuff with acid. And you have to neutralize the mixture before disposing of it, and I doubt it's good for your plumbing. And it sucks doing it.

Buy a cheap RO unit, you'll be much happier.

If you insist on it, Google API Tap Water Filter recharge

Aquattro
10-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Found it for you. I'm that nice! :)

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/twp_recharge.html

RenHoek104
10-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Isn't the recharge recipe the exact same one from Fight Club? :p

I do like your "cheap RO unit" any recommendations? I'll probably buy one this summer when I'm out of school and my income is a bit higher than right now.

Ren

Aquattro
10-12-2012, 08:13 PM
I do like your "cheap RO unit" any recommendations? I'll probably buy one this summer when I'm out of school and my income is a bit higher than right now.

Ren

nothing off the top of my head, but stuff comes up here used, check local papers, etc. I'm pretty sure after one bout with the recharge stuff, you'll sacrifice some KD to find the cash now :)