PDA

View Full Version : Nanoreefnewbie 2012 nano contest entry

Pages : [1] 2

nanoreefnewbie
09-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Well thought I would start a journal also

My goal is too make a creative beautiful nano aquarium learn as much as I can not have fun alone the way( first tank in salt water should be intreasting lol:mrgreen )

My plans are too use hardy corals ect make it colorful and alive with fish and other inhabitants

Equipment

17.5 gallon rimless tank
Marineland led lights
Marineland hob filter ( 30 gallon rating)
Fluval water heater( 250 watt??lol )
Kydor power head/wave maker(750 gph)

Live stock

40 lbs rock(39lbs dead 1 lb too seed with)
30lbs live fine sand
As for fish ect no clue same with corals ect

Srry for crappy spelling gunna do all this off a tablet I just got spelling will improve hahahaha

nanoreefnewbie
09-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Some more pics of equipment...

reefwars
09-19-2012, 02:25 AM
a post has been made in all the contest forumns regarding contest rules via the timeline, everyone should read this post as there seems to be some confusion.

mrhasan
09-19-2012, 04:46 AM
If you still have the chance, get an aquaclear 70 (atleast), mod it to a HOB refugium and put in some chaeto. Works WONDERFUL!!!! Brought my 10+ppm nitrate to 0 in just 2 days (mine is a 20 gallon with aquaclear 110).

Well thought I would start a journal also

My goal is too make a creative beautiful nano aquarium learn as much as I can not have fun alone the way( first tank in salt water should be intreasting lol:mrgreen )

My plans are too use hardy corals ect make it colorful and alive with fish and other inhabitants

Equipment

17.5 gallon rimless tank
Marineland led lights
Marineland hob filter ( 30 gallon rating)
Fluval water heater( 250 watt??lol )
Kydor power head/wave maker(750 gph)

Live stock

40 lbs rock(39lbs dead 1 lb too seed with)
30lbs live fine sand
As for fish ect no clue same with corals ect

Srry for crappy spelling gunna do all this off a tablet I just got spelling will improve hahahaha

albert_dao
09-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Whoa, that's a LOT of rocks haha.

nanoreefnewbie
09-19-2012, 02:30 PM
If you still have the chance, get an aquaclear 70 (atleast), mod it to a HOB refugium and put in some chaeto. Works WONDERFUL!!!! Brought my 10+ppm nitrate to 0 in just 2 days (mine is a 20 gallon with aquaclear 110).

So not enough filtration..? can I make this ones mini refugium..? Chaeto?

nanoreefnewbie
09-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Whoa, that's a LOT of rocks haha.

Yea it is but I want a beautiful aquascape and I'm hoping the rock and sand would be my main filtration..

wmcinnes
09-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Yea it is but I want a beautiful aquascape and I'm hoping the rock and sand would be my main filtration..

Not to be rash, but can almost guaruntee you wont fit 40lbs of rock 'beautifully' into a 17.5g tank!

mrhasan
09-19-2012, 02:40 PM
So not enough filtration..? can I make this ones mini refugium..? Chaeto?

You do have enough filtration but mini refug will help you with the nitrate. The fluval won't be of much use in saltwater. I used a 20gallon aqueon for chemi pure elite and purigen. Ofcourse it is not mandatory or anything, just helps :D

nanoreefnewbie
09-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Not to be rash, but can almost guaruntee you wont fit 40lbs of rock 'beautifully' into a 17.5g tank!

I think it looks great here is a pic of tank with rock and cycling just fine...alittle crowded but it all fits lol..

nanoreefnewbie
09-19-2012, 09:32 PM
You do have enough filtration but mini refug will help you with the nitrate. The fluval won't be of much use in saltwater. I used a 20gallon aqueon for chemi pure elite and purigen. Ofcourse it is not mandatory or anything, just helps :D

The fluval heater is keeping up nice 77 degrees and holding...and yeah I'm following nitrates and ammonia and nitrites and ph lol every second day

nanoreefnewbie
09-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Well alittle update is I've decided too do a diy protein skimmer and a 10 % water change too start too control algea and ugly brown tank syndrome..also this Friday will be when I add my clean up crew too also help control algea...:lol: super excited how my first reef tank is coming...

Enigma
09-19-2012, 11:47 PM
I think it looks great here is a pic of tank with rock and cycling just fine...alittle crowded but it all fits lol..

It fits pretty well. A crowded at k can be gorgeous . . . Just dig through Reef_Geeks threads to see pics of his.

nanoreefnewbie
09-20-2012, 01:18 AM
It fits pretty well. A crowded at k can be gorgeous . . . Just dig through Reef_Geeks threads to see pics of his.

Thank you it took abit not a few different land scaping ideas and wholla finally ended up with it and I fit all 40 lbs in yay lol
I just thought good natural filtration should be good and id got tons of room for corals caverns for fish undecided on that aspect
His pics all pretty beautiful I only wish lol maybe :biggrin:

Enigma
09-20-2012, 01:22 AM

Damn you, autocorrect.

That should read "a crowded tank can be gorgeous . . ."

Enigma
09-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Thank you it took abit not a few different land scaping ideas and wholla finally ended up with it and I fit all 40 lbs in yay lol
I just thought good natural filtration should be good and id got tons of room for corals caverns for fish undecided on that aspect
His pics all pretty beautiful I only wish lol maybe :biggrin:

It just takes care and time for everything to fill in. You'll get there. :) And, I quite like you scape. You squeezed all that rock in very nicely, and there is interest in the placement.

mrhasan
09-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Great work with the rocks :D

Now put in atleast two powerheads to brush water through all those rocks :D

nanoreefnewbie
09-20-2012, 03:32 PM
It just takes care and time for everything to fill in. You'll get there. :) And, I quite like you scape. You squeezed all that rock in very nicely, and there is interest in the placement.
Thank you I thought it fit in well

nanoreefnewbie
09-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Great work with the rocks :D

Now put in atleast two powerheads to brush water through all those rocks :D

I've got a 750 gph powered is that still not enough:cry: lol

nanoreefnewbie
09-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Damn you, autocorrect.

That should read "a crowded tank can be gorgeous . . ."

I hate auto correct too lol my tablet is the worst for it:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
09-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Just added my first batch of clean up crew is been added tonight
I got 1 peppermint shrimp,1 blue knuckle crab, 5 turbo snails, 3 scarlet hermit crab:biggrin:...ive also been working on a diy skimmer ill get some pics posted asap

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Well finally got some pics of my diy skimmer been putting in 10 hrs days ať work...srry for my late posts lol...i used a old gravel vac some tube for the drainage air line na pump and finally a Wood air Stone 5 mins later and 5. Dollars i built my own nano skimmer...also ill add some pics of tank now cycled out clean crew hard ať work now for corals and fish choices hummmmmmm......:biggrin:

Boxboy
09-25-2012, 01:58 AM
good job on the diy skimmer. make sure to post some pics of the skimate also ;)

Enigma
09-25-2012, 02:28 AM
Nice skimmer! Let's hope it gets all gross and disgusting like the one I just cleaned. *blech*

mrhasan
09-25-2012, 02:29 AM
In my experience, nano skimmers are more like wasting money (I already did :( ) and its better to get a HOB fuge with chaeto. Works like a charm :D

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 03:19 AM
good job on the diy skimmer. make sure to post some pics of the skimate also ;)

Thank you..what do you mean by skimate ?? Srry lol
:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 03:21 AM
Nice skimmer! Let's hope it gets all gross and disgusting like the one I just cleaned. *blech*
4 days running and its already getting a yellow and brown..collect 50 ml of yellow water easylol:lol:

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 03:23 AM
In my experience, nano skimmers are more like wasting money (I already did :( ) and its better to get a HOB fuge with chaeto. Works like a charm :D

Awesome that sux too bad you waste your cash bud..5 bucks not stuff lying around works great..well spent cash in my mind...im not getting all fancy with my first reff

intarsiabox
09-25-2012, 03:30 AM
Thank you..what do you mean by skimate ?? Srry lol

The gunk that your skimmer collects.

mrhasan
09-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Yah DIYs are always awesome. Just make sure you don't spend anything on a commercial skimmer for your tank unless you are up for something like reef octopus which will cost you around $150+ :P

I bought an AC110, got a light, put in some chaeto and that crazy algae is keeping my tank at undetectable nitrate! BINGO!

Try doing that :D

Awesome that sux too bad you waste your cash bud..5 bucks not stuff lying around works great..well spent cash in my mind...im not getting all fancy with my first reff

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 03:32 AM
The gunk that your skimmer collects.

OH crappy jus dumped that...umm yea sure will its gross yellow definitely works:wink:

mrhasan
09-25-2012, 03:35 AM
BTW I am pretty sure your skimate is watery (wet skimmate) and that can SERIOUSLY suck up your saltwater. So if you see that your level is low, not all might be due to evaporation and you might actually be lowering your salinity when adding freshwater for top-off while most of them are not due to evaporation. So always check your salinity before adding top-off.

OH crappy jus dumped that...umm yea sure will its gross yellow definitely works:wink:

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Yah DIYs are always awesome. Just make sure you don't spend anything on a commercial skimmer for your tank unless you are up for something like reef octopus which will cost you around $150+ :P

I bought an AC110, got a light, put in some chaeto and that crazy algae is keeping my tank at undetectable nitrate! BINGO!

Try doing that :D

Yea maybe:twised:

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 03:42 AM
BTW I am pretty sure your skimate is watery (wet skimmate) and that can SERIOUSLY suck up your saltwater. So if you see that your level is low, not all might be due to evaporation and you might actually be lowering your salinity when adding freshwater for top-off while most of them are not due to evaporation. So always check your salinity before adding top-off.

OH thank you holding 1.024 and trying to lower some more...

Enigma
09-25-2012, 03:43 AM
Why are you trying to lower it? If anything, I'd say it should be higher.

nanoreefnewbie
Awesome that sux too bad you waste your cash bud..5 bucks not stuff lying around works great..well spent cash in my mind...im not getting all fancy with my first reff srry dam spelling check reff lol i think everyone knows i meant reef lol

mrhasan
Why lower?! Keep it between 1.024-1.026

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 03:46 AM
Why are you trying to lower it? If anything, I'd say it hold be higher.
Jus too 1.023...and ive seen a few whick looking reefs ať 1.023 :biggrin:..ill counter ask now why have it higher??

mrhasan
09-25-2012, 03:48 AM
Because 1.026 is ideal for reefs but fishes can be kept in practically anything :P (I have kept mine for weeks without knowing that my salinity was at 1.031). You can keep softies in almost anything like 1.021, which is ideal for fish only systems (not the delicate ones like ricordia ofcourse) but for pretty corals, you should aim at something 1.024 to 1.026.

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 03:49 AM
Why lower?! Keep it between 1.024-1.026

Its within in ball park..ill ask the same why have it higher...its all preference right...If I noticed fish friends arnt liking the lower sality ill Raise accordingly...

mrhasan
09-25-2012, 03:50 AM
Its within in ball park..ill ask the same why have it higher...its all preference right...If I noticed fish friends arnt liking the lower sality ill Raise accordingly...

Fishes won't react :P But the corals will. Fishes just need salt in the tank...corals needs the required amount :P

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 03:50 AM
Because 1.026 is ideal for reefs but fishes can be kept in practically anything :P (I have kept mine for weeks without knowing that my salinity was at 1.031). You can keep softies in almost anything like 1.021, which is ideal for fish only systems (not the delicate ones like ricordia ofcourse) but for pretty corals, you should aim at something 1.024 to 1.026.
Awsome thank you...and Wow 1.031. Thats higher :biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Fishes won't react :P But the corals will. Fishes just need salt in the tank...corals needs the required amount :P

Okay i totally hear you ill hold sality ať 1.024...for all my tank buddys lol

Enigma
09-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Jus too 1.023...and ive seen a few whick looking reefs ať 1.023 :biggrin:..ill counter ask now why have it higher??

Higher SG allows for the supersaturation of calcium and Alk.

mrhasan
09-25-2012, 03:57 AM
You are welcome :D

And yes 1.031 is HIGH :P My hydrometer was ditching me (so I got refractometer; much much more accurate). Took my water to LFS for analysis and they were like 1.031!!!! My hydro was showing 1.021ish LOL

Awsome thank you...and Wow 1.031. Thats higher :biggrin:

mrhasan
09-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Yah. During my 1.031, the guy at LFS was doing the titration and he was like WTH why isin't the calcium reading coming and at 550ppm the color changed :P

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Sg means sality?? And okay i hear you very confincing ill hold it ať 1.024..thank you for it help all:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 04:00 AM
You are welcome :D

And yes 1.031 is HIGH :P My hydrometer was ditching me (so I got refractometer; much much more accurate). Took my water to LFS for analysis and they were like 1.031!!!! My hydro was showing 1.021ish LOL

Holly crappy lol i got a refractometer. Asap lol

mrhasan
09-25-2012, 04:03 AM
Holly crappy lol i got a refractometer. Asap lol

Yah get that. Specially before you get the corals.

BTW I also kept some really delicate corals at 1.021. LOL. I am still maturing my salinity. This is the MOST variable parameter in a nano.

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Yah get that. Specially before you get the corals.

BTW I also kept some really delicate corals at 1.021. LOL. I am still maturing my salinity. This is the MOST variable parameter in a nano.

OH yea bought a refractometer. Before i even set up tank and thanks for tip na hint:biggrin: im striving for top quality water tho lol:twised:

mrhasan
09-25-2012, 04:10 AM
I tried that and failed. I am also a perfectionist when it comes to water quality but it just doesn't happen. With experience over time, you will be able to keep it intact.

OH yea bought a refractometer. Before i even set up tank and thanks for tip na hint:biggrin: im striving for top quality water tho lol:twised:

intarsiabox
09-25-2012, 04:15 AM
FYI average seawater is 35ppt and is what most people shoot for. This is 1.026 at 77 degrees if you get yourself a temperature compensating refractometer (they usually also display ppt), if not there are charts as the salinity changes with temperature to achieve 35ppt.

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 02:03 PM
FYI average seawater is 35ppt and is what most people shoot for. This is 1.026 at 77 degrees if you get yourself a temperature compensating refractometer (they usually also display ppt), if not there are charts as the salinity changes with temperature to achieve 35ppt.

Awsome thank you for advice:biggrin:

Enigma
09-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Sg means sality?? And okay i hear you very confincing ill hold it ať 1.024..thank you for it help all:biggrin:

SG means "specific gravity," which is what most of us are measuring when we say "salinity."

A specific gravity of 1.026 equates to a salinity of about 35 ppt.

nanoreefnewbie
09-25-2012, 10:17 PM
SG means "specific gravity," which is what most of us are measuring when we say "salinity."

A specific gravity of 1.026 equates to a salinity of about 35 ppt.

Icic i get it now lol srry for my dumbness:biggrin:

Enigma
09-25-2012, 11:09 PM

No worries. You'll never learn if you don't ask. :)

mrhasan
09-26-2012, 01:00 AM

Sometimes, being dumb before being sorry is better in this hobby. Sometimes, you might have to hear harsh words too but that way, the things will be in your mind for longer time :P

Acipenser
09-26-2012, 12:33 PM
MY motto is it better for people to think your dumb for asking questions than for them to know your dumb from not asking them. - I try to apply to as many aspects of life as possible .

nanoreefnewbie
09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
MY motto is it better for people to think your dumb for asking questions than for them to know your dumb from not asking them. - I try to apply to as many aspects of life as possible . great motto:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Sometimes, being dumb before being sorry is better in this hobby. Sometimes, you might have to hear harsh words too but that way, the things will be in your mind for longer time :P
Hopefully people don't too harsh with the newbies lol

nanoreefnewbie
09-26-2012, 01:41 PM
No worries. You'll never learn if you don't ask. :)

nanoreefnewbie
09-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Here is a pic of skimate after 36 hrs and yellow on skimmer time ttoo clean lol

nanoreefnewbie
09-26-2012, 06:07 PM
And skimate pic..If I delete pics previous posted will it not show on thread after deleted for judges too see

mrhasan
09-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Very wet skimate. Keep your eyes while doing top-off :P

And skimate pic..If I delete pics previous posted will it not show on thread after deleted for judges too see

nanoreefnewbie
09-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Very wet skimate. Keep your eyes while doing top-off :P
I do check everyday holding 1.206 at 35 ppt:biggrin:
Arnt I a smarty pants lol or a smart ass no I thank everyone for there help

mrhasan
09-26-2012, 07:16 PM
I do check everyday holding 1.206 at 35 ppt:biggrin:
Arnt I a smarty pants lol or a smart ass no I thank everyone for there help

Good job :D

nanoreefnewbie
09-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Good job :D

Thank you ill keep sality where it's at..can make the ski mate un wet lol:biggrin:

mrhasan
09-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Thank you ill keep sality where it's at..can make the ski mate un wet lol:biggrin:

U can't. Wet skimate is possible only in high end skimmers as far as I know. :P

nanoreefnewbie
09-26-2012, 07:37 PM
LOL high end skimmer are you poking at my cheap diy skimmer :mrgreen:

mrhasan
09-26-2012, 07:39 PM
LOL high end skimmer are you poking at my cheap diy skimmer :mrgreen:

Haha not really. And there's nothing called cheap skimmer...its more like the "expensive" ones :P

nanoreefnewbie
09-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Haha not really. And there's nothing called cheap skimmer...its more like the "expensive" ones :P

Ooooooooh low blow lol..yea ill admit it I'm not rich I don't think anyone is just some people put on bigger smiles then others:biggrin:its my first reef maybe a good pay ill buy better skimmer

mrhasan
09-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Ooooooooh low blow lol..yea ill admit it I'm not rich I don't think anyone is just some people put on bigger smiles then others:biggrin:its my first reef maybe a good pay ill buy better skimmer

I maintain my tank with my scholarship money; beat that in terms of being not rich :P

nanoreefnewbie
09-26-2012, 09:45 PM
I maintain my tank with my scholarship money; beat that in terms of being not rich :P
Okay that makes me feel kinda better lol..atleast you don't drink it away:biggrin:

mrhasan
09-27-2012, 04:45 AM
Okay that makes me feel kinda better lol..atleast you don't drink it away:biggrin:

Lol yah I don't drink. And that's a big save :P

fishoholic
09-27-2012, 01:35 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=10058&d=1348682714

Let's hope no one in your house thinks that's beer :lol:

nanoreefnewbie
09-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Lol yah I don't drink. And that's a big save :P

Yea man me either got better things too spend money on and better ways too meet girls:biggrin:but I'm tied up with gf now for two great years haven't drank in a longggg time lol

nanoreefnewbie
09-27-2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=10058&d=1348682714

Let's hope no one in your house thinks that's beer :lol:

LOL no one is a drinker in my house lol...and its tucked away behind tank so if a drunk does find it..well its his own fault lol:mrgreen:gross tho egh

mrhasan
09-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Yea man me either got better things too spend money on and better ways too meet girls:biggrin:but I'm tied up with gf now for two great years haven't drank in a longggg time lol

Haha good for you :D Best of luck with your tank and your life too :)

nanoreefnewbie
09-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Haha good for you :D Best of luck with your tank and your life too :)
Sweet thanks you yea life is good and good luck with it tank and life two..where do you usually shop for great stuff:biggrin:

Boxboy
09-28-2012, 12:13 AM
That stuff looks like tea lol Im sure its doing the job for ya tho.

mrhasan
09-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Sweet thanks you yea life is good and good luck with it tank and life two..where do you usually shop for great stuff:biggrin:

Big Al's. Jeff (the fish manager) is an awesome guy. He even throws in some discounts for me from time to time :D

nanoreefnewbie
09-28-2012, 12:46 AM
That stuff looks like tea lol Im sure its doing the job for ya tho.

Its is dointhe job..doing great...yea tea beer its gross lol can't imagine anyone drinking that lol cup is ruined now lol:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
09-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Big Al's. Jeff (the fish manager) is an awesome guy. He even throws in some discounts for me from time to time :D
Sweet I go in there from time too time piscses river front golds wal,s all my hiding spots lol

nanoreefnewbie
09-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Never know might have seen me in there or any of my hiding spots lol:biggrin:

mrhasan
09-28-2012, 12:51 AM
LOL maybe. But I never EVER go to pisces. All of the products on their shelves and the fishes are SEVERELY overpriced!

nanoreefnewbie
09-28-2012, 02:13 AM
LOL maybe. But I never EVER go to pisces. All of the products on their shelves and the fishes are SEVERELY overpriced!

LOL very true they got my salcata tortoise food there some times ill buy random fishy:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Well little update nothing too new did a water change things are almost zero and a scarlet crab got half eat wtf...no sign of shell soo confused lol

nanoreefnewbie
10-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Well added some more live stock lastnite...added another blue knuckle hermit,a clean shrimp so my peppermint Shrimp has a friend:biggrin:...got a black brittle starfish very cool...and a red star fish was a impulse buy kinda...all doing very well:smile:...also do a small water change today stilltryin too lower my nitrates too zero completely..cant figure out why it won't full zero out..?any suggestions? Also ill be uploading so livestock update pics:biggrin:

mrhasan
10-06-2012, 08:57 PM
For no nitrate, you should get enough chaeto :) For my 20 long, i use chaeto in a AC110 and I only do water change to replace the trace elements; nitrate is always zero.

nanoreefnewbie
10-06-2012, 09:25 PM
For no nitrate, you should get enough chaeto :) For my 20 long, i use chaeto in a AC110 and I only do water change to replace the trace elements; nitrate is always zero.
Ur talking mini refug?:biggrin:

mrhasan
10-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Ur talking mini refug?:biggrin:

Mod AC110 but yah thats the idea :)

nanoreefnewbie
10-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Mod AC110 but yah thats the idea :)

Okay sweet can i use jus and led light..ill post a pic of a led strip runs of battery's pretty brite:biggrin:

mrhasan
10-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Okay sweet can i use jus and led light..ill post a pic of a led strip runs of battery's pretty brite:biggrin:

Yah should work :) I use those coralife dual fixture for fuge (got it for freaking cheap!)

fishoholic
10-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Well little update nothing too new did a water change things are almost zero and a scarlet crab got half eat wtf...no sign of shell soo confused lol

Are you sure it's dead? When they molt it looks like the whole front half of them sitting on the sand bed. I've found a few molts that i thought for sure were dead crabs but later discovered the crab alive and well.

nanoreefnewbie
10-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Are you sure it's dead? When they molt it looks like the whole front half of them sitting on the sand bed. I've found a few molts that i thought for sure were dead crabs but later discovered the crab alive and well.

Im sure lol he didn't move for days picked him upheld didn't move and guts hanging out it was dead half eaten

fishoholic
10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Im sure lol he didn't move for days picked him upheld didn't move and guts hanging out it was dead half eaten

Did you find an empty shell? The pic below is a crab molt, looks like a half eaten crab but it is only a molt, it can be very deceiving. If you picked up the shell and a body fell out, that's one thing. However if you saw what looked like a body on the sandbed (not moving) but there was no shell around, then it's probably a molt.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/IMG_0056.jpg

nanoreefnewbie
10-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Did you find an empty shell? The pic below is a crab molt, looks like a half eaten crab but it is only a molt, it can be very deceiving. If you picked up the shell and a body fell out, that's one thing. However if you saw what looked like a body on the sandbed (not moving) but there was no shell around, then it's probably a molt.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/IMG_0056.jpg

OH okay that is very simalier but yea we found his shell..idk if he was playing dead or not now lol its all good:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Well I've been thinking on refug but then thought about a mini sump/refug...but been I'm only aloud 20 gallons too play with, water volume is starting too be concern..how can I measure the water displacement? It's a 17.5 gallon with 40lbs rock 30 lbs sand...im woundering how much water is actually in my tank I would like too do a 10g using only half the tank if that.. So really only 4-5 gallons water in over flow tubes tank return ect I'm planning.. And what would be best drain set up herbie or what??

nanoreefnewbie
10-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I've been doing alot of lookin pulled out trust old calculator blew off the dust :biggrin: and started figuring out water displacement..i belive there is roughly 9.65 gallons..does this seem right too you all??:question:

nanoreefnewbie
10-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Does anyone think that's right I'm trying too remember how many ice cream pails of water came out while putting. In sand and rock 6 and abit does sound right thought I lost count at 5 while doing it soo yea..any one?trying too have a mini sump refug trying too stay too rules of 20 gallons max:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-14-2012, 03:04 AM
Well alittle update again bought.a 10 gallon aquarium from picses pet emporium 16.99 a eshopps nano over flow box 54.99 I belive...also bought a outlet nozel into tank from sump 4.99...my plans are too use 6-8 inch baffle walls in sump restrict it too about 6 gallons leaving lots of room for water in overflow box, pipes and skimmer ect...i redid calculations and figured still roughly only 9 ish gallons in my 17.5 gallon nano quiet the water displacement lol:neutral:... So still under the 20 gallon rules yay hahahaha...ill get pics up soon of the new equipment also upgraded power head from 750 gph too 1400 gph for better water flow...a Awsome trade off fellow canreefer... Use the 750 in my mixing bucket :wink:

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 04:07 AM
Well alittle update again bought.a 10 gallon aquarium from picses pet emporium 16.99 a eshopps nano over flow box 54.99 I belive...also bought a outlet nozel into tank from sump 4.99...my plans are too use 6-8 inch baffle walls in sump restrict it too about 6 gallons leaving lots of room for water in overflow box, pipes and skimmer ect...i redid calculations and figured still roughly only 9 ish gallons in my 17.5 gallon nano quiet the water displacement lol:neutral:... So still under the 20 gallon rules yay hahahaha...ill get pics up soon of the new equipment also upgraded power head from 750 gph too 1400 gph for better water flow...a Awsome trade off fellow canreefer... Use the 750 in my mixing bucket :wink:

Isint 1400gph a bit too much for your tank?

nanoreefnewbie
10-14-2012, 04:10 AM
Isint 1400gph a bit too much for your tank?

Srry its 1200 gph and I was told 750 wasn't enough get another 250 gph minimum powerheads I don't have room for two soo I supervised it lol..its got great flow now lol

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 04:10 AM
Srry its 1200 gph and I was told 750 wasn't enough get another 250 gph minimum powerheads I don't have room for two soo I supervised it lol..its got great flow now lol

Your tank is 20 gallon right?

nanoreefnewbie
10-14-2012, 04:11 AM
Your tank is 20 gallon right?
17.5 gallon..

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 04:15 AM
Lol in a 20 gallon right? :P

Anyway. I am not sure who told you 750 is not enough :S Because to be honest, I would say that's too much; not for the tank but from one single power head.

My tank has lots of movement (500gph + 120gph + 240 gph + 425 gph) but from different sources to create an alternating flow. That's something you want (makes coral flow look better too). Why not get two different power head of 425gph or something :D

nanoreefnewbie
10-14-2012, 04:19 AM
Lol in a 20 gallon right? :P

Anyway. I am not sure who told you 750 is not enough :S Because to be honest, I would say that's too much; not for the tank but from one single power head.

My tank has lots of movement (500gph + 120gph + 240 gph + 425 gph) but from different sources to create an alternating flow. That's something you want (makes coral flow look better too). Why not get two different power head of 425gph or something :D
Too be honest not 100% who told me that either lol it was some one one here tho...i don't have room for two power heads I do have a hanging on back filter soon will be a nano size sump refug lol..

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Too be honest not 100% who told me that either lol it was some one one here tho...i don't have room for two power heads I do have a hanging on back filter soon will be a nano size sump refug lol..

The fuge gonna help a lot with the nutrient. Atleast mine does :)

nanoreefnewbie
10-14-2012, 04:48 AM
That's what my hopes are lol:biggrin:

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 04:52 AM
That's what my hopes are lol:biggrin:

Put in as much chaeto as you can.

nanoreefnewbie
10-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Put in as much chaeto as you can.

OH I will just gotta figure out how too post pics throw photobucket on here and you will all see my plans lol..does anyone know how too upload pics from photobucket on here:question:

lockrookie
10-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Click on IMG code it will say copied the paste in your post and voila pic posted via photobucket

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

nanoreefnewbie
10-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Click on IMG code it will say copied the paste in your post and voila pic posted via photobucket

IMG code where is that ?Srry but new with this tablet and new too website kinda:biggrin:

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 06:29 AM
IMG code where is that ?Srry but new with this tablet and new too website kinda:biggrin:

When you post a comment, count to the 14th tab from the 2nd row of control box (B I U ..... ). Its the yellow box with 2 mountain peeks and a square (:P) sun.

nanoreefnewbie
10-14-2012, 06:35 AM
When you post a comment, count to the 14th tab from the 2nd row of control box (B I U ..... ). Its the yellow box with 2 mountain peeks and a square (:P) sun.

Awsome I see that thanks you guys srry for my stupidity lol:biggrin:

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Lol there's nothing called stupidity in this forum :mrgreen:

lockrookie
10-14-2012, 07:35 AM
When you hover over the pic in photobucket a list should drop down that has a spot called IMG code or if your looking at the full size pick its off to the right side of the screen if you still have issues pm me your email and I can send you pics of what I mean

nanoreefnewbie
10-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Lol there's nothing called stupidity in this forum :mrgreen:
I would have too disagree on that one..:surprise:

nanoreefnewbie
10-14-2012, 03:00 PM
When you hover over the pic in photobucket a list should drop down that has a spot called IMG code or if your looking at the full size pick its off to the right side of the screen if you still have issues pm me your email and I can send you pics of what I mean

Okay I'll give it a shot in a little while see if some pics come on here lol

nanoreefnewbie
10-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Okay I had one crab die/molt idk had a cleaner shrimp die last night dinner for my starfish...and now another Halloween hermit crab is molting...what is going on here...any suggestions people...im really scared everything in my tank is slowly dieing

Enigma
10-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Parameters?

nanoreefnewbie
10-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Parameters?

PH 7.8
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20-40 ppm has reached 80ppm
Phosphate 0.5 ppm
Temp 78 degrees
Sality 1.026

I know nitrates are alittle hight have a diy refug already started too lower too nitrates 0ppm...do you think it's the nitrates? Also what cause molting in hermits what is molting?

mrhasan
10-17-2012, 12:05 AM
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20-40 ppm has reached 80ppm
Phosphate 0.5 ppm
Temp 78 degrees
Sality 1.026

I know nitrates are alittle hight have a diy refug already started too lower too nitrates 0ppm...do you think it's the nitrates? Also what cause molting in hermits what is molting?

pH shock maybe?

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Ph shock I don't think been in there for over two weeks

Enigma
10-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Your nitrates are really, really high for a reef. You need to get those way down. I would say below 5ppm. I'd do 50% water changes daily to get it down.

mrhasan
10-17-2012, 01:00 AM
That can be an issue too. Inverts are really really picky about nitrates. Get the fuge as soon as you can :)

The Grizz
10-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Totally a nitrate issue for sure & water change is a must.

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 02:38 AM
Your nitrates are really, really high for a reef. You need to get those way down. I would say below 5ppm. I'd do 50% water changes daily to get it down.

Really. 50% water change daily...okay ill do one right not did one yester day also..Mondays are much water change day on my two fresh water and reef tank:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 02:39 AM
That can be an issue too. Inverts are really really picky about nitrates. Get the fuge as soon as you can :)

Yea I've got a 6 gallon sump refug project already going got the acrylic for baffle walls upgraded skimmer also started...this week end hopefully sump will be goin:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Totally a nitrate issue for sure & water change is a must.

Yea ill stay ontop of that daily now:cry: lol

Enigma
10-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Really. 50% water change daily...okay ill do one right not did one yester day also..Mondays are much water change day on my two fresh water and reef tank:biggrin:

The solution to pollution is dilution. ;) You need to get the nitrates down quickly.

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 02:44 AM
The solution to pollution is dilution. ;) You need to get the nitrates down quickly.
Awsome thank you soon much

mrhasan
10-17-2012, 02:45 AM

Chemicalistic (no such word but you get the idea :P) advice :D

The Grizz
10-17-2012, 02:45 AM

Then the tough part is to figure out how it got that high to eliminate the issue.

Enigma
10-17-2012, 02:46 AM
Oh, I should add something. Test your NSW before hand. If the parameters are quite a bit different from your tank water, add it slowly to the tank. Don't just dump it all in. You don't want to radically change your pH or anything really quickly.

Enigma
10-17-2012, 02:48 AM

You manipulate the English language very nicely for it not being your first language! :lol:

mrhasan
10-17-2012, 02:51 AM
You manipulate the English language very nicely for it not being your first language! :lol:

Haha thanks :D

Have been the head of editorial department for a club (in english) back home so my writing is better than speaking :P

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 03:03 AM

:razz:

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Then the tough part is to figure out how it got that high to eliminate the issue.

The tank is only 40 days running pretty young for a reef tank could be a issue too...

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 03:06 AM
Oh, I should add something. Test your NSW before hand. If the parameters are quite a bit different from your tank water, add it slowly to the tank. Don't just dump it all in. You don't want to radically change your pH or anything really quickly.
Thats great advice also thank you

The Grizz
10-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Was the rock fully cured?

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Haha thanks :D

Have been the head of editorial department for a club (in english) back home so my writing is better than speaking :P

LOL :biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Nope:neutral:

mrhasan
10-17-2012, 03:19 AM
Personally, I think nanos should start with only live rock. Helps things move faster and also doesn't make much difference economically. After all, its just a small volume of rock :)

The Grizz
10-17-2012, 03:26 AM
I would guess that there is the culprit, maybe still some die off from the rock. Your going to have to do daily water changes of at least 25% until thing stabilize for sure. If you have another salt tank going you could exchange a few pieces to help stabilize.

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 03:38 AM
Personally, I think nanos should start with only live rock. Helps things move faster and also doesn't make much difference economically. After all, its just a small volume of rock :)

Small volume of rock? I have 40lbs of rock lol

soapy
10-17-2012, 03:38 AM
Hey I like the homemade skimmer. I may try a similar Mame copy skimmer myself. Sorry to hear about the losses, in addition to what everyone else said remember to go slow. Cheers.

mrhasan
10-17-2012, 03:39 AM
Small volume of rock? I have 40lbs of rock lol

Small considering 100lbs+ ;)

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 03:39 AM
I would guess that there is the culprit, maybe still some die off from the rock. Your going to have to do daily water changes of at least 25% until thing stabilize for sure. If you have another salt tank going you could exchange a few pieces to help stabilize.

Yea first reef so no other live rock..but will stay ontop of water changes for sure thank you

mrhasan
10-17-2012, 03:42 AM
BTW since you are getting big numbers on nitrate, I am sure that your rock is pretty live now :P

Get started with the water change. MOVE MOVE! :mrgreen:

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 03:42 AM
Hey I like the homemade skimmer. I may try a similar Mame copy skimmer myself. Sorry to hear about the losses, in addition to what everyone else said remember to go slow. Cheers.

Awsome go for it I thought it was kinda a throw together one but works great..ill be making another diy skimmer the big brother too that one you might say...If you have any questions shoot... It's pretty self explanatory tho...and yea two mins silence for our fallen soldiers :lol:...and yea it was getting covered in hair algea so thought it was safe for clean up crew they were doing awsome:cry:...

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 03:45 AM
Small considering 100lbs+ ;)
In a nano tank?40 lbs is lots I think

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 03:47 AM
BTW since you are getting big numbers on nitrate, I am sure that your rock is pretty live now :P

Get started with the water change. MOVE MOVE! :mrgreen:

I've done several water changes 25 % weekly now will be daily just finishing up with water changer for tonight 50% -60% changed

mrhasan
10-17-2012, 03:48 AM
I've done several water changes 25 % weekly now will be daily just finishing up with water changer for tonight 50% -60% changed

Awesome :D keep up the good work ;)

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Awesome :D keep up the good work ;)

Could I do a 25 % water change at 7am? Before work then say 8pm after work another 25% water change? Or is it betterall 50-60% at once:biggrin:? Anybody got suggestions

mrhasan
10-17-2012, 04:38 AM
Could I do a 25 % water change at 7am? Before work then say 8pm after work another 25% water change? Or is it betterall 50-60% at once:biggrin:? Anybody got suggestions

I would vote for 25-25

The Grizz
10-17-2012, 04:47 AM
Same here ^

nanoreefnewbie
10-17-2012, 05:25 AM
25-25 it is then ill be doing next wc in the am lol

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 12:58 AM
http://s1211.beta.photobucket.com/user/Garett_Kraft/media/nano reef sump build/IMG_00000027_zps84971cc6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Egh pics still won't post getting soo frustrated errrrrrr:twised:

mrhasan
10-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Egh pics still won't post getting soo frustrated errrrrrr:twised:

I see a big turtle :O

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Really it posted Leo my tortoise and my sump...??

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 01:04 AM
I see a big turtle :O

Where do you see all I see is a question mark sign

mrhasan
10-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Really it posted Leo my tortoise and my sump...??

I had to go to the link to see it :P

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 01:05 AM
I had to go to the link to see it :P

Really sweet can you my other pics of my building sump?

mrhasan
10-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Really sweet can you my other pics of my building sump?

I can see this one ;)

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc438/Garett_Kraft/nano%20reef%20sump%20build/IMG_00000027_zps84971cc6.jpg

Boxboy
10-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Cute looking tortoise, the sump aint bad either!
Where did you get him?

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 01:20 AM
I can see this one ;)

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc438/Garett_Kraft/nano%20reef%20sump%20build/IMG_00000027_zps84971cc6.jpg

Sweet ill keep the pics coming then lol..srry about that he just wouldn't stop bumping into me or the tank so I just took the pic lol...

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Cute looking tortoise, the sump aint bad either!
Where did you get him?

Thank you thats my Leo boy lol..awsome/best pet ever lol..got him off Kijiji lol he was kinda a rescue..same with my 8 aquatic turtles :)..

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 01:24 AM
http://s1211.beta.photobucket.com/user/Garett_Kraft/media/nano reef sump build/IMG_00000019_zps23ee1855.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Pre fitting in the tank:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 01:26 AM
http://s1211.beta.photobucket.com/user/Garett_Kraft/media/nano reef sump build/IMG_00000019_zps23ee1855.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Pre fitting in the tank:biggrin:

Hopefully you guys can see image let me know:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 01:41 AM

Pre planning of sump

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 02:24 AM
I've got a eshopps nano over flow box 200 gallons a hr it does so should the Return pump be 200 gph too?Or bigger or what?

The Grizz
10-18-2012, 03:31 AM
Return pump must match the overflow rate or it will give you nothing but issues.

And no I can't seen the pics other then the one with the sump & turtle.

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 03:41 AM
Return pump must match the overflow rate or it will give you nothing but issues.

And no I can't seen the pics other then the one with the sump & turtle.

Thats wat I thought. I was thinking 300gph return pump for the 3 ft tops its gota push water up...ive got a pro 3 pump giving too me not sure rating tag is wore off can't find any where I assume it's 300 gph from the 3 I tested it and it dont push water out took hard its pumping tho lol..what you think??and could a ball valve slow the flow from return pump if needed

The Grizz
10-18-2012, 03:46 AM
You could go with a pump that is rated for more by I would use a gate valve over a ball valve as you will need to do some fine tuning to make sure the overflow does not overflow.

mrhasan
10-18-2012, 04:19 AM

Pre planning of sump

Try copying the link of the image instead of the whole website link. Go to the link you are posting, right click on the image and select "copy image URL" and paste the link that got copied.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc438/Garett_Kraft/nano%20reef%20sump%20build/IMG_00000019_zps23ee1855.jpg

:)

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 04:32 AM
I'm doing all this off tablet and cant right click been touch screen so gotta test some more I guess thank you

nanoreefnewbie
10-18-2012, 09:26 PM
http://IMG_00000027_zps84971cc6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Just test image:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-22-2012, 03:33 AM
Well got my mini refug sump goin but still can't figure out pics..dam this tablet:sad::twised: it looks awsome ..still got add the skimmer but everything all balanced out nice no over flow tank or over flow box...wish I could show all you:neutral:

mrhasan
10-22-2012, 04:06 AM
Well got my mini refug sump goin but still can't figure out pics..dam this tablet:sad::twised: it looks awsome ..still got add the skimmer but everything all balanced out nice no over flow tank or over flow box...wish I could show all you:neutral:

Wanna trade your dammed tablet for a lesson on uploading pic? ;)

nanoreefnewbie
10-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Wanna trade your dammed tablet for a lesson on uploading pic? ;)

You know I'm almost tempted but with no tablet no can reef and that is not worth bartering...ill figure it out some time dam thing

mrhasan
10-22-2012, 09:08 PM
You know I'm almost tempted but with no tablet no can reef and that is not worth bartering...ill figure it out some time dam thing

Hahaha. Good point ;)

nanoreefnewbie
10-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Well today has been a disaster my sump baffles broke my black brittle starfish went throw the power head really lame another hermit is showing signs of moltin..im speechless...Just too much so might be just ducking outta this hobby... Not ready too waste cash into things that die in a month...:sad:

nanoreefnewbie
10-22-2012, 10:30 PM
I've been doing water changes daily and still doesn't work out

reefwars
10-22-2012, 10:51 PM
I've been doing water changes daily and still doesn't work out
t

hats half your problem right there , who told you to do daily water changes??

Boxboy
10-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Changing water daily removes the Good stuff! Basicly to much to fast = Heartbroken Reefer!
Just go slower, Im sure things will look up :)

nanoreefnewbie
10-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Look back in my forms my hermits are molting my nitrates won't go down...i was told daily water changes till nitrates lower....:sad:...idk if might just shut down tank...was told too do a sump that was a disaster...it's expensive this hobby I'm not hurting or poor just can't waste money...

nanoreefnewbie
10-22-2012, 11:10 PM

Here's one

nanoreefnewbie
10-22-2012, 11:13 PM

Another..a few others said 50% daily water changes

reefwars
10-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Look back in my forms my hermits are molting my nitrates won't go down...i was told daily water changes till nitrates lower....:sad:...idk if might just shut down tank...was told too do a sump that was a disaster...it's expensive this hobby I'm not hurting or poor just can't waste money...

your crabs are molting from the constant water changes , they are known to do it after a water change and sudden changes.

daily water changes are not good for anyones tank.....ever...unless your doing azoox and are forced to then weekly water changes are enough.

have you determined where the nitrates are coming from, that should be your first step???

once you know its a matter of cutting off that resource and removing the excess pollution.

you cant remove it with water changes if your adding it just as fast right??

i would be happy to help if you have any questions, post or pm either way your not stuck alone , theres lots of brains here to pick.

cheers!

reefwars
10-22-2012, 11:19 PM
the golden rule is "nothing happens fast in a reeftank but disaster"

the other is " the secret to pollution is dillution"

their ideas were right but the method is too fast, perhaps if you had no livestock in the tank but with critters in the tank i wouldnt be doing large water changes like that daily.

if your going to do on average 10% weekly water changes , then what you should do or have done is a larger water change (20-40%) then continue weekly with your 10%

this is only assuming you knnow where the nitrates are coming from and have a way to battle them??

Boxboy
10-22-2012, 11:19 PM
^^^ Yup, Find the source and fix it.
What is your water source?
How much live or dry rock is in your tank?
Any livestock besides snails?
What are you using for flow?

yes many ppl here will help you correct any issues and help you to be successful! ;)

reefwars
10-22-2012, 11:22 PM
really in a small tank water changes and a little husbandry should be all thats required to battle nitrates .

if your overstocked or overfeed and add pollution to the tiny tank it will snowball fast into high nutrients.

battle them from the beginning allowing time to adjust and cut down on the sources.

then kiss your trates good bye!!

cheers

nanoreefnewbie
10-22-2012, 11:38 PM
the golden rule is "nothing happens fast in a reeftank but disaster"

the other is " the secret to pollution is dillution"

their ideas were right but the method is too fast, perhaps if you had no livestock in the tank but with critters in the tank i wouldnt be doing large water changes like that daily.

if your going to do on average 10% weekly water changes , then what you should do or have done is a larger water change (20-40%) then continue weekly with your 10%

this is only assuming you knnow where the nitrates are coming from and have a way to battle them??

I'm sure it's from the rock curing...

nanoreefnewbie
10-22-2012, 11:40 PM
^^^ Yup, Find the source and fix it.
What is your water source?
How much live or dry rock is in your tank?
Any livestock besides snails?
What are you using for flow?

yes many ppl here will help you correct any issues and help you to be successful! ;)

I think it's from my curing rock...
Ro water is been used
40lbs rocks 38 dry/2 live too seed
Hermits and was black brittle starfish got chopped in power head
Power head and hob filter for flow

Enigma
10-23-2012, 12:00 AM

With nitrates as high as they were, I would absolutely do the big water changes daily until they were back inline. Truthfully, if it was my tank, I would have done closer to 100%. I have done it in the past, and I would absolutely do it again. Providing the critical parameters are close between the NSW and the tank water there shouldn't be any issues at all.

The hermits molting isn't a big deal (typically). The brittle star getting sucked into the powerhead sucks, but is most likely unrelated to the water changes. The broken sump baffles have nothing to do with the water changes either.

The only real "problem" that I see here is that the nitrates aren't coming down, and they are at dangerously high levels.

This means one of three things:
1) The test is faulty,
2) The NSW has nitrates, or
3) Something in the tank is generating an obscene amount of nitrates.

Changing water daily removes the Good stuff!

In nano tanks the "good stuff" is typically added through water changes. What "good stuff" do you feel is being removed from the system through water changes?

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 12:15 AM
It's just all adding up...things jus keep going wrong no matter how hard I try

Boxboy
10-23-2012, 12:20 AM
I should have been more clear, I ment that if you change the water daily in a nano tank, basicly its not helpful and you end up removing to much bacteria to quickly that help stablize the tank to begine with! It really deppends on whats going on with it!
Yes there is exceptions to almost every rule and some rules can be flate out broken, but its simply best to follow advise from senior memebers when your in doubt.
I should have read the whole thread first probably, and without knowing much else other than "nitraits are high and im doing daily water changes" I would have to suggest relax on changing the water and find the source! Likely as stated before, faulty tests or there is something else going on.

Sorry to have been 100% clear in the begining!

reefwars
10-23-2012, 12:30 AM
water changes wont remove anything beneficial , what ever it takes out it will relenish with the new salt.

after a cycle ive always done close to 100% for a water change , after that theres no reason your nitrates would be climbing high enough to merit further large water changes.

mrhasan
10-23-2012, 01:12 AM
I see the main problem over here:

You are disheartened and panicking. Do a water change on yourself :). A bristle star being sucked up the powerhead and hermits molting should NOT let you down. There are cases where anemones get sucked up in powerhead and the whole tank gets nuked and still people didn't loose hope. Its all about taking up challenges. If something goes wrong, you should become more persistent to solve it than just giving up.

My POV for the high nitrate: the nitrate must have risen initially, the hermits started dying one by one and hence the nitrates just keeps on adding up.

There are loads and loads of great people out here who are willing to help, for example Denny (reefwars). :)

Enigma
10-23-2012, 01:15 AM
after a cycle ive always done close to 100% for a water change , after that theres no reason your nitrates would be climbing high enough to merit further large water changes.

There has to be something weird going on. It just doesn't make sense to me. Can you think of anything outside the norm that could be causing the high nitrates?

mrhasan
10-23-2012, 01:18 AM
There has to be something weird going on. It just doesn't make sense to me. Can you think of anything outside the norm that could be causing the high nitrates?

Maybe the initial high nitrate started a chain-death of the hermits and their decaying matter is causing the nitrate to be high?

Enigma
10-23-2012, 01:20 AM
It's just all adding up...things jus keep going wrong no matter how hard I try

This this may sound patronizing, but it isn't meant to be. We all have moments when we want to quit . . . when it doesn't seem worth the effort . . . and when we'd like to flush everything and smash the tank . . . you get the idea.

The cyano in my main display system makes me want to smash it with a sledgehammer. Badly.

But, I know it will pass. What you're going through will pass as well. We will get it figured out. Don't worry. You have an amazing resource at your fingertips, here.

I'm going to re-read your thread to see if anything jumps out at me.

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 01:21 AM

I cant...i think it's the rock I blow off the crappy suckit up do water changes use ro water..test my new too match tank i fell like im doomed lol....im trying too stay positive its jus this day for my reef tank went bad

reefwars
10-23-2012, 01:23 AM

well i think the idea of tests being accurate or not is the first thing , if they are accurate then i would be asking how high my amonia got during my cycle.

realistically at this time there shouldnt be any livestock like snails or shrimp, crabs etc. (right after the cycle)

this is the ideal time to do the large water change , like you mentioned earlier 100% is even fine and alot of people do that.

if you experience a rough cycle with high amonia and dont do this it just keeps getting built up.

the daily water changes will in fact bring them down , its just more to me of a time consuming thing and if theres any animals they arnt gonna benefit from the stress and changing conditions.

what happens more often then not is this scenario here where people try to deal with the high nitrates after they have added animals not after the cycle, now it has to be done slower and more work involved as your adding pollution to the tank reguarily.

Enigma
10-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Nanoreefnewbie, what nitrate test are you using. Also, can you post the rest of your parameters and what tests you're using for them? Honestly, I don't trust your test at this point.

If you did a 50% change, that would have brought your nitrates down to 20ppm. A 25% change the next day would have brought them down to 15ppm. 25% the next day would bring them down to 11.25ppm, then 8.43ppm, then 6.32ppm . . . on day six 4.74ppm. Of course, nitrate would be building at the same time, so it would probably take a week or more to get the nitrates below 5ppm. Only the first water change would have a huge effect on the levels, and the effect becomes less and less with each water change.

Have you recorded your daily nitrate levels? If so, can you share them?

coolhandgoose
10-23-2012, 01:47 AM
I just read through the whole thread and have a couple questions.

1. Are you using RO/DI water?

2. On page one you said you were using 1lb of live rock and 39 of dead rock. Did you actually do this? If you did then there's no way that your tank would be biologically stable enough yet for any inhabitants. You should've had at the very least half of the rock live rock, especially if its a nano.

This can explain why your nitrates were high and stayed high.

reefwars
10-23-2012, 01:50 AM
the other thing right now i would be asking myself is if any of my critters are being harmed or in harm right now??

if not then your on the good side of the battle , now time is on your side to start attacking the little things.

post your exact routine including

water parameters(amonia,nitrates,phosphates,salinity,tem p)

pos your equipment and ligts as well.

post what you have in your tank...literally everything that youve added or died.

sand?

this sump you speak of , whats in it and how are you running it??

nitrates are honestly an easy thing to get rid of , just takes some elbow grease and patience:)

coolhandgoose
10-23-2012, 01:55 AM
What silicone did you use for your sump?

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 01:57 AM
This this may sound patronizing, but it isn't meant to be. We all have moments when we want to quit . . . when it doesn't seem worth the effort . . . and when we'd like to flush everything and smash the tank . . . you get the idea.

The cyano in my main display system makes me want to smash it with a sledgehammer. Badly.

But, I know it will pass. What you're going through will pass as well. We will get it figured out. Don't worry. You have an amazing resource at your fingertips, here.

I'm going to re-read your thread to see if anything jumps out at me.

Thank you shelly I'm gunna stick with it I had a longggg shower a few times hortans coffees thought...thought some more.... A few of my kinda smokes and ive calmed down...goods froba lol...we will figure it out....i think it's the rock curing..

mrhasan
10-23-2012, 02:00 AM
Thank you shelly I'm gunna stick with it I had a longggg shower a few times hortans coffees thought...thought some more.... A few of my kinda smokes and ive calmed down...goods froba lol...we will figure it out....i think it's the rock curing..

My suggestion of "do a water change on yourself" worked heh ;)

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Nanoreefnewbie, what nitrate test are you using. Also, can you post the rest of your parameters and what tests you're using for them? Honestly, I don't trust your test at this point.

If you did a 50% change, that would have brought your nitrates down to 20ppm. A 25% change the next day would have brought them down to 15ppm. 25% the next day would bring them down to 11.25ppm, then 8.43ppm, then 6.32ppm . . . on day six 4.74ppm. Of course, nitrate would be building at the same time, so it would probably take a week or more to get the nitrates below 5ppm. Only the first water change would have a huge effect on the levels, and the effect becomes less and less with each water change.

Have you recorded your daily nitrate levels? If so, can you share them?

I'm using the api saltwater mater marine test kit...i tested every second day and nitrates didn't lower a tad...maybe 20 ppm then shoot right back up in a few days...

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 02:08 AM
I just read through the whole thread and have a couple questions.

1. Are you using RO/DI water?

2. On page one you said you were using 1lb of live rock and 39 of dead rock. Did you actually do this? If you did then there's no way that your tank would be biologically stable enough yet for any inhabitants. You should've had at the very least half of the rock live rock, especially if its a nano.

This can explain why your nitrates were high and stayed high.

Yea using all ro water from start...

Andyes starters tank like this did research has and was told I can do this tank was covered with hair algea and was told safe too add clean up crew

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 02:11 AM
What silicone did you use for your sump?

Nothing 100% sure on brand but said water proof it wasn't....and it was a new addition added last nite too off tonight too rebuild with different silaconed I guess

intarsiabox
10-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Test your fresh ro/di water with your test kit. The results should read zero. If you are getting any sort of reading then I would say the test kit is faulty. 2lbs of live rock over this amount of time and the number of water changes you have done shouldn't still be adding to your nitrate problem. What was your dry rock source?

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 02:14 AM
the other thing right now i would be asking myself is if any of my critters are being harmed or in harm right now??

if not then your on the good side of the battle , now time is on your side to start attacking the little things.

post your exact routine including

water parameters(amonia,nitrates,phosphates,salinity,tem p)

pos your equipment and ligts as well.

post what you have in your tank...literally everything that youve added or died.

sand?

this sump you speak of , whats in it and how are you running it??

nitrates are honestly an easy thing to get rid of , just takes some elbow grease and patience:)

I'm jus gunna grab one last coffee and then ill do a full line of test for all you I didn't do a water change either today.

Also should I be running a bio wheel on my filter on the back?

intarsiabox
10-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Nothing 100% sure on brand but said water proof it wasn't....and it was a new addition added last nite too off tonight too rebuild with different silaconed I guess

Don't use GE Silicone I or II, they may say 100% silicone but also have mildew inhibators that can kill your tank mates. There are silicones made specifically for aquariums, some much cheaper than others, but I can't recall the name right now. I know Grizz uses it, maybe he'll refresh my memory.

intarsiabox
10-23-2012, 02:15 AM
Also should I be running a bio wheel on my filter on the back?

No

coolhandgoose
10-23-2012, 02:19 AM
You definitely can't use just any old silicone, that will definitely cause problems!
I use SCS1200 made by GE. You can find it at contractors store, not Home Depot.

intarsiabox
10-23-2012, 02:22 AM
You definitely can't use just any old silicone, that will definitely cause problems!
I use SCS1200 made by GE. You can find it at contractors store, not Home Depot.

That's the silicone I was think of!

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Don't use GE Silicone I or II, they may say 100% silicone but also have mildew inhibators that can kill your tank mates. There are silicones made specifically for aquariums, some much cheaper than others, but I can't recall the name right now. I know Grizz uses it, maybe he'll refresh my memory.

You say don't use GE some one else says use GE there's that mixed answers again or just don't use GE I or II

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Test your fresh ro/di water with your test kit. The results should read zero. If you are getting any sort of reading then I would say the test kit is faulty. 2lbs of live rock over this amount of time and the number of water changes you have done shouldn't still be adding to your nitrate problem. What was your dry rock source?

I bought the dry and live rock off a fellow can reefer

mrhasan
10-23-2012, 03:38 AM
You say don't use GE some one else says use GE there's that mixed answers again or just don't use GE I or II

Dont use GE I and II. :) That's what I can confirm. I use silicons from LFS. Few bucks more but its a premium I am willing to pay to stay out of risk.

Enigma
10-23-2012, 03:48 AM
I'm using the api saltwater mater marine test kit...i tested every second day and nitrates didn't lower a tad...maybe 20 ppm then shoot right back up in a few days...

How long have you had the test? Was it new? Is there an expiry date on it? Has it ever given you a low or "zero" reading at any point?

coolhandgoose
10-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Sorry for the confusion. GE makes about 100 different kinds of silicone. The ones you get from Home Depot are the silicone I and II, don't use this. Get the SCS1200 which you get from a contractors store. Or get the stuff from the LFS.

Again sorry for the confusion.

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Well here are perimeters again

My unmixed ro water all read zero even nitrates so not faulty or out dated kit...

For saltwater in tank(not in mixing bucket)

Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0.25 ppm (shocked cause been zero for weeks now)
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate :sad: 40-80ppm:twised:
Phosphate 0.5ppm
Temp 78-79 degrees
Sality1.026-.027

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Sorry for the confusion. GE makes about 100 different kinds of silicone. The ones you get from Home Depot are the silicone I and II, don't use this. Get the SCS1200 which you get from a contractors store. Or get the stuff from the LFS.

Again sorry for the confusion.

OH okay thank you

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 04:16 AM
How long have you had the test? Was it new? Is there an expiry date on it? Has it ever given you a low or "zero" reading at any point?

Bought the test new and ammonia nitrites have read zero never nitrates

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 04:17 AM
Dont use GE I and II. :) That's what I can confirm. I use silicons from LFS. Few bucks more but its a premium I am willing to pay to stay out of risk.

I haven't cheap out so I thought time too step it up I'm willing too pay for the non stress:biggrin:

The Grizz
10-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Hang in there bud, we're here to help trouble shoot with.

1st. GE SCS1200 ( clear or black ) is the absolute only thing to use. It what all the GOOD tank builders use & I am sure if you need some Concepts can hook you up. I'm just going to throw this out there, if I read correct you got the tank used & if so you can't always be sure of what was in it before. When I get a tank that I am going to use for salt I peel out the inside cornor beads & reseal unless I absolutely 100% trust the person I got it from.

2nd. It might be an idea to see if there is someone close to you with a large system that has some extra rock in there sump that you could swap with to seed the rock faster to see if that helps. Some rock can be very absorbant & depending on how long it was in a system it might have absorbed a tone of crap. I have a few 100 lbs of dry rock & when I want to add a nice piece to the tank I throw it in my big sump for a few weeks after a good soak / wash in RO water ( my whole house is RO water so it's easy for me ). Then I move it to where ever I want it. If I was closer I would gladly do it for you.

3rd. Defenitly check the test kit like others suggest. May be take a water sample to a fellow reefer or LFS ( Golds, Oceans, Wei's or there is 2 guys at Big Al's that really know there stuff Ryan is one of them but can't remember the other guys name )

If I have repeated some of what others have suggested, my bad, I just skimmed your posts to see what issues your having. I will go back & read it again to see if anything pops out at me.

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 04:53 AM
Hang in there bud, we're here to help trouble shoot with.

1st. GE SCS1200 ( clear or black ) is the absolute only thing to use. It what all the GOOD tank builders use & I am sure if you need some Concepts can hook you up. I'm just going to throw this out there, if I read correct you got the tank used & if so you can't always be sure of what was in it before. When I get a tank that I am going to use for salt I peel out the inside cornor beads & reseal unless I absolutely 100% trust the person I got it from.

2nd. It might be an idea to see if there is someone close to you with a large system that has some extra rock in there sump that you could swap with to seed the rock faster to see if that helps. Some rock can be very absorbant & depending on how long it was in a system it might have absorbed a tone of crap. I have a few 100 lbs of dry rock & when I want to add a nice piece to the tank I throw it in my big sump for a few weeks after a good soak / wash in RO water ( my whole house is RO water so it's easy for me ). Then I move it to where ever I want it. If I was closer I would gladly do it for you.

3rd. Defenitly check the test kit like others suggest. May be take a water sample to a fellow reefer or LFS ( Golds, Oceans, Wei's or there is 2 guys at Big Al's that really know there stuff Ryan is one of them but can't remember the other guys name )

If I have repeated some of what others have suggested, my bad, I just skimmed your posts to see what issues your having. I will go back & read it again to see if anything pops out at me.

No you covered it all good..ill be goin too contesters store tommorrow work construction soo that's easy:biggrin: and tank was used for fresh before I got it and I cleaned it super good...and I did check my stuff again should be perimeters posted...

On another note is anyone out there where I can swap some half live rock over for some live rock too help me jump start fastr and take more bio load:redface:...

The Grizz
10-23-2012, 04:56 AM
The one thing about a used tank is you don't know really what was in it & if there where any meds used. Silicone can absorb all kinds of crap if it is old & leach out in saltwater.

I seen the parameters & I think something is off with your nitrate test. Might be a faulty test kit, it happens some times. Even if it test zero in RO doesn't mean it's good.

reefwars
10-23-2012, 04:58 AM
No you covered it all good..ill be goin too contesters store tommorrow work construction soo that's easy:biggrin: and tank was used for fresh before I got it and I cleaned it super good...and I did check my stuff again should be perimeters posted...

On another note is anyone out there where I can swap some half live rock over for some live rock too help me jump start fastr and take more bio load:redface:...

come see me ill trade you some good live rock for your dry rock i have a liverock bin you can choose some pieces out of, we can also go over your water if you bring a sample and i can show you some of the set ups here , all are basic easyily ran set ups.

The Grizz
10-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Attaboy Denny, take care of our nanoreefnewbie.

Take your test kits with you so Denny can check them with his water.

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 05:07 AM
The one thing about a used tank is you don't know really what was in it & if there where any meds used. Silicone can absorb all kinds of crap if it is old & leach out in saltwater.

I seen the parameters & I think something is off with your nitrate test. Might be a faulty test kit, it happens some times. Even if it test zero in RO doesn't mean it's good.

Humm okay...

The Grizz
10-23-2012, 05:09 AM
If I'm over whelming you just tell me to shut up until you catch up :biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 05:10 AM
come see me ill trade you some good live rock for your dry rock i have a liverock bin you can choose some pieces out of, we can also go over your water if you bring a sample and i can show you some of the set ups here , all are basic easyily ran set ups.
Awsome Denny THANK YOU...i owe you a million ill bring over a nice sample size and do a test right infront of you and you can do test ur way ect..id love too see ur set ups..how much should I grab 5lbs or so?also pm ur adress and yea ill probably come over later this week?

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 05:12 AM
If I'm over whelming you just tell me to shut up until you catch up :biggrin:

OH no I get you but I know if was fresh with no meds it was all natural and algea covered lol...i drained it and cleaned it alot lol...and me and Denny will go over this test kit

The Grizz
10-23-2012, 05:13 AM
One ? I forgot to ask, was the sand new or used?

reefwars
10-23-2012, 05:15 AM
Awsome Denny THANK YOU...i owe you a million ill bring over a nice sample size and do a test right infront of you and you can do test ur way ect..id love too see ur set ups..how much should I grab 5lbs or so?also pm ur adress and yea ill probably come over later this week?

my schedule is pretty free , getting me in the evenings is gonna be tough but ill work it out.

bring what you like , i have around 200lbs of rock on standby so i dont mind swapping some out.

when you come over i will give you some helpfull tips to keeping your tank clean and water where it needs to be , trust me its very easy just sounds like alot to do.

really think about investing in a skimmer, i know its a hard number to swallow but i bet i could find you one for cheap that would work on your tank , most any experienced reefer will tell you a good skimmer goes along way.

ill pm you my info in a bit:)

cheers

fishoholic
10-23-2012, 05:15 AM

Nope:neutral:

I think it's from my curing rock...
Ro water is been used
40lbs rocks 38 dry/2 live too seed

The problem is your rock. You have to think of your tank as only having 2 pounds of rock in it. In a new system if the 38 pounds were completely dry it will take around a year to cure with only 2 pounds seeding it. Yes I said a year after 6 months it will begin to seed and start becoming live causing spikes along the way, after a year it might be fully cured. You should not have any livestock in the tank right now as it's not cycled and with that much dry rock it will be 6 months before it starts to cycle and up to a year before you stop seeing spikes and killing off livestock.

No offense to you (and I'm not referring to you) but I get frustrated with numerous people cheeping out and buying 95% dry rock and 5% live and then wondering why on earth they are having so many issues. I've told many people who want to use mostly dry rock not to and said to them if they do they should wait 6 months to a year before adding anything live and they look at me in disbelief. These same people don't listen, do it the way they want to, and get frustrated and confused when they have nothing but problems.

Not sure if you have any livestock in there now but I would look at re-homing it until the tank cycles. Or if you can find someone to swap out some of your dry rock for live that should help, however that seems unlikely. Edit: I see Denny to the rescue! :biggrin:

Doing tons of water changes is pointless in a system that isn't cycled. The high nitrates aren't good but I'd bet they're not as much of the issue as I'm guessing the mini ammonia spikes your most likely having from the dry rock in your tank. Focus on getting the rock cured and I'll bet most of your issues will clear up afterwards.

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 05:42 AM
One ? I forgot to ask, was the sand new or used?

Its was used from mature system bought from guy with rock

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 05:45 AM
my schedule is pretty free , getting me in the evenings is gonna be tough but ill work it out.

bring what you like , i have around 200lbs of rock on standby so i dont mind swapping some out.

when you come over i will give you some helpfull tips to keeping your tank clean and water where it needs to be , trust me its very easy just sounds like alot to do.

really think about investing in a skimmer, i know its a hard number to swallow but i bet i could find you one for cheap that would work on your tank , most any experienced reefer will tell you a good skimmer goes along way.

ill pm you my info in a bit:)

cheers
Awsome ill bring 10lbs ish then should be enough??and I got a small diy skimmer seems too be working...but yea if you want too do some searching great I plan on running a sump sooo...

reefwars
10-23-2012, 06:16 AM
Awsome ill bring 10lbs ish then should be enough??and I got a small diy skimmer seems too be working...but yea if you want too do some searching great I plan on running a sump sooo...

i seen the pics of the little skimmer now while i admit i love a good diy , and it was an awesome idea, when you come to my house ill show you what real skimate looks like and how long it takes. i could even give you a loaner for a couple weeks if you want to try one before going all in?

mines so thick and black it could be passed as roofing tar lol

fishoholic
10-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Its was used from mature system bought from guy with rock

Did you wash the sand really really well? Old/used sand causes tank crashes due to the excess of nutrients it traps in it. If you didn't rinse it I would remove it all and rinse it out until the water runs clear. The sand will cause nitrate (and other) issues if not cleaned. When my boyfriend moved his tank 2 years ago he used a 1" layer of the old sand and it caused his whole tank to crash, he lost 2 rubbermaid containers full of sps, all his zoas and fish :sad:

intarsiabox
10-23-2012, 01:31 PM

It's not the brand it is the type of silicone. Avoid GE I and II.

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 02:16 PM
i seen the pics of the little skimmer now while i admit i love a good diy , and it was an awesome idea, when you come to my house ill show you what real skimate looks like and how long it takes. i could even give you a loaner for a couple weeks if you want to try one before going all in?

mines so thick and black it could be passed as roofing tar lol

Egh yummy lol..i cant wait too meet you and get some good tips...maybe you can give a lesson on uploading pics too lol..i have a bigger diy skimmer on paper but might just buy one..If u got a extra,small skimmer awsome

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Did you wash the sand really really well? Old/used sand causes tank crashes due to the excess of nutrients it traps in it. If you didn't rinse it I would remove it all and rinse it out until the water runs clear. The sand will cause nitrate (and other) issues if not cleaned. When my boyfriend moved his tank 2 years ago he used a 1" layer of the old sand and it caused his whole tank to crash, he lost 2 rubbermaid containers full of sps, all his zoas and fish :sad:
Humm okay umm I didn't was my sand oh boy..looks like I got a lot of work too do...when I pull rock out too trade with Denny ill pull out most if not all sand and rinse it really well...what do ido with my hermits snails and starfish tho...

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 02:22 PM
It's not the brand it is the type of silicone. Avoid GE I and II.

K thank you...:biggrin: