PDA

View Full Version : Nanoreefnewbie 2012 nano contest entry

Pages : 1 [2]

Enigma
10-23-2012, 02:24 PM
when you come over i will give you some helpfull tips to keeping your tank clean and water where it needs to be , trust me its very easy just sounds like alot to do.

Please test his water, too! I'm not convinced his nitrate readings are accurate, at this point.

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Please test his water, too! I'm not convinced his nitrate readings are accurate, at this point.

Well are gunna I show him how I testhecan use his own test see what happens...
Also this live rock should really help with the curing and nitrate problems Denny and everyone I owe you a million

The Grizz
10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
As others have said the sand should have been rinsed well. I use a large fish net to rinse sand & only do 2 cups at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 08:08 PM
As others have said the sand should have been rinsed well. I use a large fish net to rinse sand & only do 2 cups at a time.

When I swap rocks ill be rinsing sand very well...how do you use fish net?and ill be using ro water ofcourse?

The Grizz
10-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Take 2 cups of sand & dump it into the net to wash it. Make sure the net is a very fine mesh, you will lose some so put a pot under the net to catch as much as possible.

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Take 2 cups of sand & dump it into the net to wash it. Make sure the net is a very fine mesh, you will lose some so put a pot under the net to catch as much as possible.

Awsome okay thank you

nanoreefnewbie
10-25-2012, 02:20 AM
IMG_00000027

nanoreefnewbie
10-25-2012, 02:40 AM
IMG_00000027

Well lol that didn't work

reefwars
10-27-2012, 06:41 AM
ok so now we have a game plan right , use only the liverock i gave you , start from scratch, all new water.leave alone completely for 2 weeks and low light period.

get to buying yourself a decent skimmer and one of the small reactors i showed you and use the gfo you got(remember passive is better thaan nothing)the sooner these are hooked up and running the better off youll be in the long run.

remember all the little tips and in 2 weeks or so come see me again ill give you a tester frag to try out and we will do a water test and talk about some more ideas and tips:)

nice meeting you cheers!!

Enigma
10-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Denny, you're the best. :)

Were nitrates really as high as the test was indicating?

reefwars
10-27-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm actually not site Shelley as we didn't test. We do have a aide now though. Basically hos liverock isn't live and is not porous basically small boulders. The other is with 40lbs of solid rock there's isn't much water left in a 17g tank.....no water and no filter are a bad combo.

I sent Garrett home with about 25lbs of nice purple mature rock right from my system nice and porous too.

Now he has a fresh start with new rock and new water, small wait for 2 weeks then he comes back over for our first water test.

In the meantime he needs to get himself a small decent Skimmer and I gave him some rowaphos to try out

Sometimes a stepback is needed to move forward.

I believe his dense liverock and small water volume made for a unpredictable system....no stability.

Good luck buddy remember come see me in 2 weeks and we move from there.....in the meantime go for a nice hike or build a snowman....the tank doesn't exist for 2 weeks k lol:)

Enigma
10-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Ah. That explains a lot, doesn't it! It makes sense now, as the weight of the rock seemed to be far too high to squeeze into a tank that size. I'm glad you took the time to meet with him in person and get to the root of the system's issues. :)

coolhandgoose
10-27-2012, 04:08 PM
This is why this site and the members on it rock!
Glad you got him on the right track.

nanoreefnewbie
10-29-2012, 06:01 AM
ok so now we have a game plan right , use only the liverock i gave you , start from scratch, all new water.leave alone completely for 2 weeks and low light period.

get to buying yourself a decent skimmer and one of the small reactors i showed you and use the gfo you got(remember passive is better thaan nothing)the sooner these are hooked up and running the better off youll be in the long run.

remember all the little tips and in 2 weeks or so come see me again ill give you a tester frag to try out and we will do a water test and talk about some more ideas and tips:)

nice meeting you cheers!!

Yea thank you sooo much denny your awsome ur set ups are awsome..i bought a red Sea prism deluxe works awsome...and yea it run lights a few hrs too admire the rock:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-29-2012, 06:07 AM
I'm actually not site Shelley as we didn't test. We do have a aide now though. Basically hos liverock isn't live and is not porous basically small boulders. The other is with 40lbs of solid rock there's isn't much water left in a 17g tank.....no water and no filter are a bad combo.

I sent Garrett home with about 25lbs of nice purple mature rock right from my system nice and porous too.

Now he has a fresh start with new rock and new water, small wait for 2 weeks then he comes back over for our first water test.

In the meantime he needs to get himself a small decent Skimmer and I gave him some rowaphos to try out

Sometimes a stepback is needed to move forward.

I believe his dense liverock and small water volume made for a unpredictable system....no stability.

Good luck buddy remember come see me in 2 weeks and we move from there.....in the meantime go for a nice hike or build a snowman....the tank doesn't exist for 2 weeks k lol:)

Yea a step back was needed took a huge leep towards tho...i got a skimmer got ,my mini 7 gallon sump goin with the algea and red Sea weed you gave me...im not gunna lie got a free tiny frag had too throw in.too see it survives or what:wink:.but other then that what tank lol...

nanoreefnewbie
10-29-2012, 06:08 AM
This is why this site and the members on it rock!
Glad you got him on the right track.
I'm glad too lol..If he didn't help me I would have been tucked lol

nanoreefnewbie
11-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Well after alot of trials and problems I'm sad too say I'll be dropping out of this year's nano contest...now that sand is rinsed well new live rock in now the tank is leaking..so ill be shutting down tank:cry:...buttt for good news I will not be dropping out of hooby but in fact advancing as I upgraded too a huge cube tank:biggrin:...now that been said I'm on the hunt for live rock..anyone got some nice live rock???