PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Salt?

aquatechy
09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
What's your favourite salt to use with your aquarium? And maybe share why? Looking to switch over to something more oriented for corals...

Bblinks
09-17-2012, 08:26 AM
IO, cheap, effective, mix clear and predictable values.

Enigma
09-17-2012, 12:15 PM
I didn't vote. I've only ever used IO Reef Crystals, so I can't say it's my favourite. I look forward to seeing the results of the poll.

Aquattro
09-17-2012, 01:40 PM
and predictable values.

Unless you're Greg :)

Aquattro
09-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Looking to switch over to something more oriented for corals...

What are you using now, and what do you feel it isn't doing?

I use the Zeovit salt, its mixes well and my LFS won't let me buy anything else :)

BlueTang<3
09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Zeovit here also only complaint I have with it is at times it could be hard to find so I always buy 10 boxes when I find it. Been using it for 4-5 years only problems u had was when I couldn't get it and tried royal nature salt. I used to use h2 ocean but found the kh so low on it that the cost to bring it up it was same price as reefers best.

MKLKT
09-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Used IO with my old tank, and got a full bucket of Kent with my current setup and so far everything has been stellar. The pH is a bit lower, but everything is super happy (tough to say how much the salt is a contibutor unfortunately). It certainly hasn't caused problems though. I'm not sure where I'm going to get more of it... I guess I'll have to switch to something else after.

IO was okay, pretty standard stuff.

Jeff000
09-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Reefers best here. Just gotta buy a few at a time cause it's sometimes hard to get.

mseepman
09-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Love the Reefer's best. Mixes clear and with consistent results. Tough to get unless you live on the coast.

burgerchow
09-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Switched a couple mos ago from dd h20 to Salinity brand from seachem. So far, everything is good.

Proteus
09-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Been using salinity for a while but found it doesn't mix as clear as reefer best

Reef_Geek
09-18-2012, 02:12 AM
Salinity.

I like that it takes less volume of salt to reach my target ppt in a 5 gallon bucket, good solubility, and my sps are showing noticeable growth. No experimental design deployed, just anecdotal.

Yeah, it's a bit cloudy after a w/c but clears up within an hour or so. I don't bother to pre-dissolve hours before.

I also like the buckets/lids they come in... does that count?

Reef_Geek
09-18-2012, 02:22 AM
I also enjoy the enthalpy of dissolving Salinity salt... the thermodynamic energy released when the molecular bonds of the salt crystals break apart in dissolution is enough to melt thin plastic such as those of a common soda bottle. It's fun to play with, though not really practical in application...

ok, I'm really procrastinating from work... it's true.

regent2009
09-18-2012, 11:18 PM
mixed : 25% each of the following-I/o, Brightwell, seachem & Royal nature. i like the Royal Nature the most .

Myka
09-19-2012, 01:56 AM
I prefer H2Ocean for my reef tanks, but I prefer IO for my fish only tanks. By your post I'm assuming you are asking which is the preferred salt for reef tanks, so I voted for H2Ocean.

I like H2Ocean for reef tanks because I only have to add magnesium and potassium, plus I prefer the lower (than IO) alkalinity so I can keep the alkalinity below 8 dKH in my reefs. It also mixes up much cleaner than IO which leaves a brown residue on the sides of the mixing barrel.

I like IO for fish only tanks because of the higher alkalinity and the cost.

craigwmiller
09-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Fluval is working really well for me. I have somewhat recently switched from Salt Crystals, and the corals are noticably 'happier'. Fish and inverts have not rejected it, and are faring very well also.

gregzz4
09-19-2012, 03:57 AM
Unless you're Greg :)
My salt rocks :lol:
I don't have to dose anything :rolleyes:

I voted IO, but don't take it too seriously as I apparently am inept with test kits :biggrin:

Aquattro
09-19-2012, 04:06 AM
Fluval is working really well for me.

Wow, Hagen is selling salt now...I haven't seen it in stores. I'm sure this will need a thread all of it's own soon!

Myka
09-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Top Fin is also making salt now, I noticed it in Petsmart awhile back.

Northernseacorals
09-20-2012, 02:17 AM
I/O is my salt of choice; mixes clear, price is great, resaults are very similar thought the last 15 years.

Proteus
09-20-2012, 02:39 AM
Wow, Hagen is selling salt now...I haven't seen it in stores. I'm sure this will need a thread all of it's own soon!

Seen it here at a lfs. But was a little hesitant. Although chart in back looks good

Millepora_Maniac
09-20-2012, 11:34 PM

+1, but i would rather be using tropic marin, Oh well, no one wants to stock it its too pricey.

jagermaier
09-21-2012, 01:05 AM
I have used Aquavitro Salinity for well over a year now, it mixes very well and has very consistant values of Cal, Mag, Alk and PH. It is marketed as being the most concentrated salt available. I have had great results using this salt. :biggrin:

vaporize
09-21-2012, 07:07 PM
+1, but i would rather be using tropic marin, Oh well, no one wants to stock it its too pricey.

I am using Tropic Marin PRO for my main 120G display tank, all other tanks are on IO (for its price)

Chaloupa
09-22-2012, 06:27 AM
I am using H2Ocean in my tanks...however am switching some customers over to Fluval Sea...specifically have one target tank full of corals that has been on H2Ocean but moving it to the Fluval as I like what they say it will do...only time will tell as this salt took quite some time to actually hit the market...it's not cheap either so .... will see...

it's always interesting to see what salt people use and why....I REALLY like that both H2O and Fluval Sea mix amazingly crystal clear with no residue..no "dirty" bucket like when we use the Seachem or IO salt...ugh! My own tank at home will be another tank we test the Fluval Sea on....

Otardifus
09-22-2012, 10:28 AM
I like KENT sea salt, but I don't have a LFS so I use what I can get!

The Guy
09-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Started with IO works well for me and cheap to buy as well. :biggrin:

PoonTang
09-23-2012, 06:01 AM
Has anybody tried coralife salt? That's all I can get locally now :(

Aquattro
09-23-2012, 06:47 AM

Tried it once, years ago. I'd maybe take a drive into Duncan and get some IO :)

PoonTang
09-23-2012, 09:48 AM
That's the problem. Duncan only sells seachem and coralife now. Not going to do IO any more.

Aquattro
09-23-2012, 03:08 PM
That's the problem. Duncan only sells seachem and coralife now. Not going to do IO any more.

Ah. Too bad. I wouldn't buy it. Maybe a trip to town and buy a few at a time?

ug.mac
09-24-2012, 04:23 AM
Aquavitro Salinity, worked best for my tank.

Diana
09-26-2012, 05:04 AM
kent kent kent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cyrus.li
09-28-2012, 05:00 PM

I used Coralife salt to start my tank a year ago and it's pretty consistant, fish were happy, the salt was fine and disolved very well (better than IO imho). I started using IO now because for one, my friend gave me a bucket for free and I'm trying to get into corals, but there's always some particles that are not dissolved. That is just from my experience.

my2cents

emerald crab
10-02-2012, 03:02 AM
I use IO, but I make the corrections when I mix the water. In my case a water change is 42 liters. For that I use 1755g IO salt, 12.4g CaCl2, 60g MgCl2 and 10g KCl.(yes-I do weigh the ingredients)

Proteus
10-02-2012, 03:20 AM
I use IO, but I make the corrections when I mix the water. In my case a water change is 42 liters. For that I use 1755g IO salt, 12.4g CaCl2, 60g MgCl2 and 10g KCl.(yes-I do weigh the ingredients)

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to use a higher end salt. Or is IO and dosing still cheaper

Mandosh
10-02-2012, 03:30 AM
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to use a higher end salt. Or is IO and dosing still cheaper

We can get IO for 29.99 here. Anything that could be used without boosting params would be at least double. I already order bulk chemicals for dosing, so $30 plus a couple of dollars worth of chems just makes sense.

On a side note, just noticed Reefers Best is 20% off at J&L right now. Might have to give it a try. IO is way cheaper, but I'm really lazy.

EDIT:

I guess this goes without saying, but I use Instant Ocean (with adjustments). I use it because it's cheap, and I haven't had any reason to switch to something more expensive. I've tried just about every brand locally available, and haven't seen any noticable differences.

emerald crab
10-02-2012, 03:35 AM
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to use a higher end salt.

Probably not and it would take a long time to adjust to a new salt and to determine the corrections that I have to make for that new salt. IMO use whatever works for you, but don't change it to often. Stability is important to.

cale262
10-02-2012, 04:13 AM
On a side note, just noticed Reefers Best is 20% off at J&L right now. Might have to give it a try...

Just saw that...thinking about making a big order from them, it works out to about $85 a box for 10 with tax and shipping or $75 a box if I order 30 boxes...

sweet ride
10-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Kent for me!

Aquattro
10-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Kent for me!

How long have you used Kent? I used to use it years ago, but then the formula appeared to change. They sold the contract or something??

sweet ride
10-05-2012, 02:46 AM
How long have you used Kent? I used to use it years ago, but then the formula appeared to change. They sold the contract or something??

Been using it since the beginning of the year. Am on my 4th box now and am happy with the result so far. The numbers on a fresh mixed batched (after 24 hours) are a bit high but my system seems to be on par.

Aqua-Digital
10-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Been using RC since times gone by, might switch this time though I find the alk and Ca too high.

Jim
10-16-2012, 01:26 PM
I use Tropic Marin.

Derek14
10-18-2012, 02:28 PM
I use H2ocean. I used to use IO,but I got a bad box once and I never gone back. H2ocean has been rock solid for me for over 2 years now.

molotov
10-19-2012, 10:02 PM
I use H2Ocean. I don't have to dose a single thing and it mixes crystal clear.

mess7777
10-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Royal Nature here. It dissolves extremely easily, a few stirs and it's a done deal. Very happy with it.

Tomjay
10-30-2012, 01:52 AM
I use Tropic Marin Pro

mtlreeffreak
10-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Royal nature here..

chi
04-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Using IO since dec. first salt ive used. kh is low. so is magnesium. might switch soon....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE

Aqua-Digital
04-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Does anyone else find IO makes your water go cloudy after water change?

chi
04-02-2013, 10:39 PM
it doesnt mix clear (powerhead running overnight.) makes my tank go cloudy. youre right.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE

Aqua-Digital
04-02-2013, 10:44 PM
glad i am not alone

91Atrac
04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
I used seachem reef salt. Worked nicely but always left a weird white crust on everything. When I start up my next tank ill be trying h2ocean or io reef crystals. Tropic marine is expensive for me.

saltyair
04-03-2013, 06:27 PM
I have tried the following salt mixes

royal nature
IO
IO reef
dd H2O

Having tried these salt mixes I have found that h2o is far the best overall salt - I saw a change in my corals and have almost stopped dosing.

Second I would pick royal nature - biggest issue was quality control.

IO - perfect low price for fowlr aquarium

Did not like IO reef crystals at all - didnt mix well and also inconstant parm's

Aqua-Digital
04-03-2013, 06:37 PM
H2o seems to be getting the biggest thumbs up these days, although i am going to try tropic marin Pro.

noirsphynx
04-03-2013, 10:13 PM
I am using H2Ocean in my tanks...however am switching some customers over to Fluval Sea...specifically have one target tank full of corals that has been on H2Ocean but moving it to the Fluval as I like what they say it will do...only time will tell as this salt took quite some time to actually hit the market...it's not cheap either so .... will see...

it's always interesting to see what salt people use and why....I REALLY like that both H2O and Fluval Sea mix amazingly crystal clear with no residue..no "dirty" bucket like when we use the Seachem or IO salt...ugh! My own tank at home will be another tank we test the Fluval Sea on....

I've tried H2Ocean but found my zoas didn't really like it. I was using Reef Crystals but found it didn't keep my alkalinity/calcium levels up. I've switched to Fluval Sea and really like how it mixes, everything in my tank seems to like it and my levels are much better now.

Toongraeme
05-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Anywhere in Edmonton supply Red Sea coral pro?

Proteus
05-11-2013, 07:14 PM

Big Al's is the only place I've seen it

Toongraeme
05-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks. I'll check it out this week

Phil
05-11-2013, 09:28 PM
I've tried H2Ocean but found my zoas didn't really like it. I was using Reef Crystals but found it didn't keep my alkalinity/calcium levels up. I've switched to Fluval Sea and really like how it mixes, everything in my tank seems to like it and my levels are much better now.

I didn't like H2O either, I usually use reef crystals but I find low alk and mag so I just picked up a bucket of salinity to try out.
Also seen red sea pro at big ALS.

somewherebeyondthesea
05-11-2013, 11:00 PM

I get mine at Big Als on Boxing Day (cheaper) I really enjoy Red Sea, But a large Bucket will last me all year (till next boxing day):wink: But that's cuz I only have 4 nanos.

Toongraeme
05-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Haha, cool..... It's what I used back in the uk. I'm sure I've asked on here in the past aswell lol....

Baker
05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
I started out with IO and made a switch to Red Sea Coral Pro and everything looks pretty happy. Im a newb thought so I dont think I really have anything to base an opinion on.

paddyob
05-12-2013, 02:32 PM
I like H2Ocean as its supposed to be natural sea salt... Jacked with the appropriate elements.

I believe all others are synthetic salt.

That was my sole reason for choosing it. But it also works very well. It's not an "instant ocean " as it recommends letting it mix for 24hrs.

I have a mix barrel so no big deal here.

Toongraeme
05-12-2013, 06:11 PM
I started with kent salt about 10 years ago, then moved onto reef crystals. For the last year or so in the uk I was using Red Sea coral pro. I used to mix it the day before and never had any problems. I thought it was great for sps because the alk and calcium are high. H2Ocean had some mixed reviews in the uk. So I'm really just wanting to stick with what I know.....

SanguinesDream
05-13-2013, 02:02 AM
Fluval Sea, because it mixes so nice and has added Calcium that my SPS love. I've noticed quite a difference.

SanguinesDream
05-13-2013, 02:14 AM

+1. Honestly it is worth the peace of mind knowing that if I miss a week on dosing it isn't going to make or break it.

chi
05-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Where can I find fluval sea salt in the lower mainland bc area? Vancouver. Burnaby areas.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

chi
06-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Just bought a new salt to try. Since there was no one posting on this salt. S
Ive decided to be the forum guinea pig, i got the Aquavitro salinity. Each bucket has a guranteed value. My first batch had a really low alkalinity so I decided to mix the salt by pouring out the salt to another bucket and repeating that process by three times. My second batch of mix matched the results well. High calcium mag and alk.
Mixes cloudy. (Followed all the methods to mix salt, salt added to water then bringing up the temp but still cloudy. When added to the tank partially cloudy it cleared up within 15 minutes. Had no ill effects on my corals. Sps lps. Softies.
Liking it for the nice guranteed stats. Hate the mixing.

I also found fluval sea salt at aquariumswest in dt vancouver. The price is not to my liking so I passed.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Zoaelite
06-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Just bought a new salt to try. Since there was no one posting on this salt. S
Ive decided to be the forum guinea pig, i got the Aquavitro salinity. Each bucket has a guranteed value. My first batch had a really low alkalinity so I decided to mix the salt by pouring out the salt to another bucket and repeating that process by three times. My second batch of mix matched the results well. High calcium mag and alk.
Mixes cloudy. (Followed all the methods to mix salt, salt added to water then bringing up the temp but still cloudy. When added to the tank partially cloudy it cleared up within 15 minutes. Had no ill effects on my corals. Sps lps. Softies.
Liking it for the nice guranteed stats. Hate the mixing.

I also found fluval sea salt at aquariumswest in dt vancouver. The price is not to my liking so I passed.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Do a quick forum search you would be surprised @ some of the reviews.

Mini-crashed my tank with Ca levels off the chart, the mix left a precipitate as well. In addition to this I think Titus contacted them about screwed values, there response was to only mix the salt for like 30 mins.

I stopped using it for the obvious question, if I shouldn't mix it more than 30 minutes whats happening after I let it sit in my tank?

Zoaelite
06-25-2013, 12:46 AM
^ Please mind the grammatical errors, was SCless & rushed at work.

Here's the link (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91582&highlight=salt).

Zoaelite
06-25-2013, 12:47 AM
And the Aquavitro response:
An alkalinity of 9/10 dKH and a magnesium of 1400 mg/L are within specification. A calcium of 590 is not. I checked the certified lab results and they show a calcium of 436. Have you double-checked the calcium concentration with another method or maybe you could have someone else test it for you?

I suggest not using a heater and don't mix it too long to avoid excess cloudiness. If you are using a large powerhead this will also cause precipitation. Mixing too long or mixing too hard (as with a large powerhead) will introduce excess CO2 which causes precipitation of carbonates. Elevated temperatures will reduce the solubility of calcium carbonate also creating precipitation.

Product Support

Proteus
06-25-2013, 12:57 AM
Yeah. When I contacted them I'm sure I got a temp or summer student who was only in office from there break of cutting grass.

Though I will say I again have a bucket as lfs only had salinity. Io. And fluvāl. Which also has high CA.

Ill be going back to RB next weekend

Skimmerking
06-25-2013, 01:49 AM
I used IO for the longest time, tried some red sea salt didn't care, tried tropic Marin and now went back to IO Reef Crystals. I like it but now where I can find it in Manitoba. might have to go back to IO

chi
06-25-2013, 02:00 AM
Yes, I've read them but I still decided that the way they formulated their product is still very decent. They test batch for batch for each of their containers. They crammed too much in too little of a container so I gambled on solving the problem by mixing the dry salt first. I was guessing that the density of each of the elements would also differ and causing the lighter elements to be at the top, my magnesium was at 1500 for the first batch along with a low alk (forgot to mention in previous post) I am not sure if anyone else tried to mix the dry salt before using it. I just don't see how a company can screw up on each container when they are one of the only companies that shows the statistics for each container. Anyways, just because of the inconsistency from bucket to bucket in terms of its mixing clear or cloudy and also the really high instances where people get elevated levels of each element, i will definitely not purchase it again. Very sorry to hear that your tank crashed :(, their reply was also very stupid...30 mins, my god...

chi
06-25-2013, 02:05 AM
I will not be going back to IO, especially after the low mag levels ~1100 and low calcium levels (350) (for the batch I got atleast) I really don't want to keep dosing mag calc and carbonates for a nano tank the change in water chemistry is just too risky. But for large tanks IO is what I will use too, cheap and good.

Wayne
10-06-2013, 05:04 AM
I went from IO Reef to Brightwells and my corals exploded! Both growth and colour. Unfortunatly the supplier I bought it from doesn't get it very often :(

thmh
10-07-2013, 04:24 AM
Instant Ocean: Reef Crystals for me been using since i started this hobby!:D

AdamsB
10-07-2013, 05:45 AM
I bought some Kent reef salt from dr fosters, salt and shipping and taxes were less than I can buy IO locally. Was using fluval salt but had some issues with it leaving a black residue in my mixing barrel. Been 2 months or so and I'm liking the Kent stuff!

Bryan_k47
10-23-2013, 04:42 AM
Switched from H2ocean recently due to low alkalinity and a crazt increase in hair algae
Going with Reefers Best now its only a few extra bucks

mrhasan
10-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Switched from H2ocean recently due to low alkalinity and a crazt increase in hair algae
Going with Reefers Best now its only a few extra bucks

Doesn't RB has an even lower alkalinity to compliment zeovit system? And don't know how salt can contribute to hair algae. Weird :p

Bryan_k47
10-23-2013, 06:32 AM
I thought the same about the algae but I know of a few locals who made the same claim, so I did some snooping online and found others saying the same
An as far as I can tell my Alk MAg and Cal and more stable now. Also I check about 6 different salt comparisons done and the Alk is quite high in RB

csaba911
01-19-2014, 04:11 AM
I have used H2ocean for over 2 year but constantly needed to boost alk.
Now I kinda mix H2O, Fluval Sea and IO Reef Crystals when ever I can get a good deal on H2O or not :0)

AchillesTangBeauty
03-03-2014, 06:11 PM
H2Ocean for sure!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Aqua-Digital
03-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Tropic marin Bio Actif reef!

AchillesTangBeauty
03-30-2014, 03:59 AM
H2Ocean for sure! I found with IO I was getting some gross build up on my power heads - heaters & pump in my RO barrel. With H2Ocean it mixes clear, real fast & there is absolutely no build up!

I will never switch.

The Grizz
03-30-2014, 04:39 AM
Reef Crystals for me and the reason being for the amount I need to dose to maintain proper levels the cost actually works out better in my favor. Being able to get chems in bulk also helps.

Slyguy00
03-30-2014, 05:08 AM
I use the fluval salt. Disolves quickly and has a higher calcium level then most other salts, which I personally like. It consistantly tests at 450ppm at a .025 salinity every time.

Baker
03-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Switched from H2ocean recently due to low alkalinity

I hope this isn't true, I'm making the switch to H2ocean from Red Sea Coral Pro. I really dont want to but Big Al's doesnt seem to be stocking it any more. RS has been a great salt for me and doesnt seem to lack anything. I dont want to have to dose for something that my regular salt generally has. If it is true then thats lame. :suspicious:

BlueTang<3
03-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Had been using reefers best for 6 years switched to Tropic Marin bio actif this morning

randallino
03-30-2014, 09:07 PM
I was just wondering for those of you who use H20 Ocean Pro. Does it still leave a residue in the bottom of your mixing containers? I've just finally have been able to clean my brute with HCL, vinegar didn't even touch it.
R

AchillesTangBeauty
03-31-2014, 03:18 PM
I was just wondering for those of you who use H20 Ocean Pro. Does it still leave a residue in the bottom of your mixing containers? I've just finally have been able to clean my brute with HCL, vinegar didn't even touch it.
R

We have had absolutely no problems with H2Ocean. There is never a residue in the mixing barrel.
However it doesn't sit in the barrel for more than a week once it's mixed & we use every drop of it.
Where as with IO it would sit for the same amount of time, & there would always be a gross residue on the; Blowers, Pump & Heaters...

gtreef
03-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Have always used Seachem Salinity

WarDog
04-20-2020, 07:33 PM
I'm in the market for a new salt. What's the latest stuff people are using these days?

Bblinks
04-20-2020, 07:44 PM
Tropic marin
Salinity
Fritz
Redsea blue bucket

My top choices

H2o2
04-21-2020, 01:31 AM
Is that in the order of preference or just in general as thinking of trying the redsea

Bblinks
04-21-2020, 03:32 AM
Just the list of my favourites, no particular order.

DKoKoMan
04-22-2020, 05:34 PM
I’m using Red Sea Blue bucket and have had consistent mixing results each time. I would consider trying Brightwell neo marine, however there is no LFS carrying it in my area.