PDA

View Full Version : Best fish for a 30 gallon look down cube.

windcoast reefs
07-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide what Fish to put in my 30 gallon tank. There will be mostly montipora's maybe a clam or 2 in the future. I would really like to put a candy hogfish in, but what fish would go well with it?

Any I've kinda narrowed it down, but any suggestions are welcome!

paddyob
07-23-2012, 07:24 PM
I thought catalina goby preferred colder water?

Only one fish going into the tank?

windcoast reefs
07-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I thought catalina goby preferred colder water?

Only one fish going into the tank?

Yeah I just looked it up, and your right. They do prefer colder water, but you can get ones allcimated to reef temps.

I'm looking for a lower maintence tank, so I don't want many fish.

paddyob
07-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah I just looked it up, and your right. They do prefer colder water, but you can get ones allcimated to reef temps.

Try a small harem of royal grammas.

I heard you can acclimate a Catalina, but it will not have the same life span. An LFS here is now labeling them as such and runs a separate tank for them.

Good luck. Gramma is my vote!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Yellow watchman goby (if you don't get the yellow coloured candy hogfish), flame hawk, Bangaii cardinals or a Cherub angel.

Nano
07-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I like watching my cherub angel and 6 line from above the leds really set off their color for above

gobytron
07-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Try a small harem of royal grammas.

I heard you can acclimate a Catalina, but it will not have the same life span. An LFS here is now labeling them as such and runs a separate tank for them.

Good luck. Gramma is my vote!

+1

Or assessors.

darrin41
07-24-2012, 02:09 AM
i really like my clown fish pair how they have taken to the anenomies and also the royal gramma coloring is awsome . mandrine goby got lucky and he eats pellets and flakes also mysis shrimp to . but the blue spotted goby i like the most .

Aquattro
07-24-2012, 02:31 AM
I saw a really cool frog fish that would be nice...:)

Proteus
07-24-2012, 03:03 AM
i love my yellow asessor. calm and perfect size.

fishoholic
07-24-2012, 01:56 PM

You can acclimate them to warmer temps but at higher temps they usually will only live for a few months

gobytron
07-24-2012, 09:00 PM
I can't believe that on a forum full of experienced reefers that the most popular choice here is still nemo.

windcoast reefs
07-24-2012, 09:03 PM
I can't believe that on a forum full of experienced reefers that the most popular choice here is still nemo.

I know what you mean. I find they are easy to keep and keep the guests amused!

gobytron
07-24-2012, 09:41 PM
I know what you mean. I find they are easy to keep and keep the guests amused!

Can't argue there.
I would just like to think that us reefers might base selection on other paramters than ease of care and overall non reefer entertainment factor.

windcoast reefs
07-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Can't argue there.
I would just like to think that us reefers might base selection on other paramters than ease of care and overall non reefer entertainment factor.

To me ease of care is a big factor, being a full time student, and working full time, doesn't allow for to many fish with high care requirements. But that said, I personally like clownfish. Sure there are lots of other cool fish out there, but these were just the ones that I thought would do best in my tank.

fishoholic
07-25-2012, 02:53 PM

I've been in the hobby for years and while I definitely like some of the more unique and rare fish, I still love clownfish.

Adread
07-25-2012, 03:22 PM
I personally haven't been in the hobby long. I love my clown fish. They are fun to watch and they have amazing colour. Now I can't say with certainty but I would think that clown fish have been in the hobby longer than the movie finding nemo has been out. So just because a movie came out and popularized a fish species doesn't mean they should be bashed.

My vote is for clowns. Great fish, fad or not.

gobytron
07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Well, I'm sure that if you stick with this hobby for 5 or 10 years you'll find there are some species whch are even more rewarding for reasons other than ease of care and entertainemnt value.

Don't get me wrong.

I've had 2 different pairs of clowns Ive kept over the last 10 years or so and I really did like them.

however, I got a lot more satisfaction from successfully creating a harem of 4royal grammas once I was up for a challenge.

windcoast reefs
07-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, I'm sure that if you stick with this hobby for 5 or 10 years you'll find there are some species whch are even more rewarding for reasons other than ease of care and entertainemnt value.

Don't get me wrong.

I've had 2 different pairs of clowns Ive kept over the last 10 years or so and I really did like them.

however, I got a lot more satisfaction from successfully creating a harem of 4royal grammas once I was up for a challenge.

I would agree about the harem, and I would really like to keep a harem of royal gramma's, but I would think that 30 gallons would be to small.

Coralgurl
07-25-2012, 07:15 PM
I have a yellow candy hogfish, he's a swimmer, out and about, colorful and not too big. I also have 2 sets of clownfish, I'm still new in the hobby, but honestly can not imagine a tank without.

gobytron
07-25-2012, 07:33 PM
I would agree about the harem, and I would really like to keep a harem of royal gramma's, but I would think that 30 gallons would be to small.

too small for 4 sure...
but a pair or even 3 would be ideal.

The trick (IME) is the aquascape...
As long as the females dont have to look at one another from their respective caves where they build their nests you should be just fine.

The male will go back and forth depending on which female is cycling but always be moving in between the females nests...

windcoast reefs
07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
too small for 4 sure...
but a pair or even 3 would be ideal.

The trick (IME) is the aquascape...
As long as the females dont have to look at one another from their respective caves where they build their nests you should be just fine.

The male will go back and forth depending on which female is cycling but always be moving in between the females nests...

Okay well then that may be in the running for fish that will go in the tank.

gobytron
07-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Be prepared to have to go through a few grammas before you find a male and a couple of females....

JL was really good about letting me trade a couple back in beofre i found the right fits.

The old school of thought was that Grammas could change sex like clowns do but this has been debunked so you need an established male and established females to make it work.

Often, you will see a large and small gramma in your lfs that are inseperable with virtually no aggression between them.

That's likely a pair, so keep your eyes open.