PDA

View Full Version : Tank Fallow for 9 Weeks Now, Safe to Re-Introduce Fish?

Reefie
05-23-2012, 08:06 PM
So........I've had a really tough battle with Marine Ich over the past few months. I've had my DT fallow for 9 weeks now, I've researched as much as I could about Ich.

I'd like everyone's opinion to see if it is safe to re-introduce fish back into my DT now?

Cal_stir
05-23-2012, 08:10 PM
I had mine fishless for 8 weeks after an ich battle and had no reoccurance.

Reefie
05-23-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm just really nervous about it. I had lost majority of all the fish I had.

Thanks for the reply!

Flash
05-23-2012, 08:30 PM
just be careful about the fish that you re-select to enter... quarentine new fish after the first. if you buy them from the store, make sure they are eating and in good health before you take them home! then go slow.. 1 fish every couple weeks

Bblinks
05-24-2012, 08:28 PM
What if you kill more fish in the quarantine tank then if you would just put them in the display. :twised:

I say it's time to put them in.:biggrin:

Flash
05-24-2012, 08:29 PM
What if you kill more fish in the quarantine tank then if you would just put them in the display. :twised:

lmao... true......

Bblinks
05-24-2012, 08:35 PM
:mrgreen: I'll be here all week.

Flash
05-24-2012, 08:42 PM
i'm bad for not qt'ing my fish.... but i also only will take home healthy fish with no visable signs of disease, and the fish must eat... i check all fins, see how it swims with other fish! i'm sure it'll be slightly different with the 6' tank whenever i get that going!!!!

Aquattro
05-24-2012, 08:47 PM
i'm bad for not qt'ing my fish.... but i also only will take home healthy fish with no visable signs of disease, and the fish must eat... i check all fins, see how it swims with other fish! i'm sure it'll be slightly different with the 6' tank whenever i get that going!!!!

That's how I selected the Tang that killed my entire tank...now everything gets quarantined and treated before going in the display..

Flash
05-24-2012, 08:49 PM
what type of tang?! did it get ich and kill everything?! and I never said it was the right way to do it!! lol

Reefie
05-24-2012, 11:16 PM
I don't think the Dealership hired you as a Comedian, get back to work!

:mrgreen: I'll be here all week.

Bblinks
05-24-2012, 11:19 PM
hahaha. don't be so sensitive.:lol:

Reefie
05-24-2012, 11:20 PM
This is coming from the guy that told me that all you need in a QT is a bit of LR and a powerhead. :wink:

Also the same guy that told me that "Yeah, Rid-Ich+ is REEF SAFE"

However, you have taught me to take ANY advice from you with a grain of salt. A very VERY SMALL grain of salt. :twised:

Reefie
05-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Haha! Who said I was sensitive??? Now I'm hurt :cry:

hahaha. don't be so sensitive.:lol:

Bblinks
05-24-2012, 11:43 PM
I'll grab a box of tissues...:mrgreen:

Aysha
05-26-2012, 02:30 AM
My coral beauty came in with velvet.....uuuurrrgggg just finished 9 weeks today!

MMAX
05-26-2012, 07:02 PM
I went 12 weeks with mine a couple years back just to make damn sure.

Myka
05-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Your tank should be fine after being fallow for 9 weeks. Hopefully you have learned the lesson and will quarantine in the future. No point in going fallow and still continuing to add "dirty" fish.

what type of tang?! did it get ich and kill everything?! and I never said it was the right way to do it!! lol

His fish had Marine Velvet IIRC. Ich isn't even "the bad one", MV is waaaaaay scarier and much more deadly simply because it kills so fast. Fish can also be a carrier for MV without showing any signs themselves. The next worst thing about MV is that treatment options are Formalin dips (my preferred method) or copper treatment (which I won't do). Neither are reef-safe, and neither are very simple as each treatment has its own complications.