PDA

View Full Version : Re-aquascaping?

reefgirl189
05-11-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm getting bored with my aquascape. I want to open it up a bit more. It's actually a very nice aquascape - loads of caves and cool spots - but I feel like it kind of sucks for coral placement as I can't see the other side of the rock. Plus I'd like to get a couple more fish eventually (a few tangs for sure) and feel that they need more open swimming areas.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/christinadouma149/IMG_4229.jpg

So my question to all of you is this:

How often do you re-aquascape? OR Is it just a dumb idea?

Sunee
05-11-2012, 09:45 PM
I think it looks pretty good as it is but if you don't like it, go ahead and change it. You may find you only need a few small changes to get something you like better. My current tank has been set up for just over a year and so far I have only done small changes.

Coralgurl
05-11-2012, 10:49 PM
I agree, I think it looks pretty good and was actually just a wee bit jealous of how you set it up. It looks like the fish are able to swim in behind the rocks as well as in front. I like that it looks like you have lots of options for coral placement, lots of surface area. I'm struggling with mine right now and feel like I've run out of room on my rocks already.

If you do rearrange, don't keep the rock out of the water for long to avoid a mini cycle. I've rearranged aquascaping before after trying to catch fish, not fun!!!

fishytime
05-11-2012, 11:53 PM
if you can keep the rock in the tank while you shuffle things around there shouldnt be any kind of a cycle.....if the rock hits the air then you will get some die off....now how much if any that effects things will depend.....

Nano
05-12-2012, 12:15 AM
I agree with the above post.. or should I say I concur...in a snobby voice..
If you move things around I personally like separate structures like islands kinda I think it provides more depth in appearance anyway :mrgreen:

marie
05-12-2012, 02:51 AM
I have reaquascaped a few times, even removed all the rock to a tarp and placed it back into the tank again with no obvious cycle or algae problems after

reefgirl189
05-12-2012, 03:01 AM
Dammit.. I typed a nice post up and then lost it.

I ended up changing a few rocks and corals around. Enough to satisfy me at least. We're all home sick with the flu so I don't really have much enthusiam for big projects right now. Unfortunately I did not find my missing royal gramma or tiny spot blenny though. :neutral:

Here's the after pic. Not much change but enough to interest the copperband to scour the "new" rocks for food and stay away from his shadow friend :rolleyes:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/christinadouma149/IMG_4369.jpg

pinkreef
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
I LIKE IT

gobytron
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Aquascaping is what keeps me in the hobby.

I do a major 'scape at least once a month in once of my tanks.