PDA

View Full Version : Lower Mainland Frag Swap - June?

pinhead
05-10-2012, 03:09 AM
In talking to some Canreef members, it was pointed out that we have not had a frag swap for almost 2 years. As shown by the popularity of the recent group order, there are many people looking to add frags to their tanks and hopefully just as many with overflowing frag racks or corals ready to be trimmed.

June seems like a logical month for a swap as it:

- gives enough time for people to produce frags
- is warm enough to do this outside
- avoids summer when people are away on holidays

The 4th weekend in June avoids Father's Day and is before the Canada Day long weekend so people are not as likely to go out of town.

The poll questions will ask which day you prefer and where you live. Hopefully we will get someone to volunteer their house in the centre of the lower mainland - Vancouver, New West or Burnaby (this is not a hint Anthony - you've already hosted) or in the suburb where most of the potential attendees live. We have had past swaps in West Van, Maple Ridge, Cloverdale, Ladner, Burnaby and Vancouver so there are at least some people willing to drive.

If you volunteer to host, you would need a big enough backyard or indoor space to house dozens of Reefers and free parking close by.

Bblinks
05-10-2012, 06:53 AM
I might be able to do it at my house depending on the number of attendance. I am near lougheed mall, got a decent size back yard and I can prolly set up a few tanks in the garage. I can also see if lfs will sponsor a couple of prizes for me, I mean for a draw or two. My place isn't the biggest but I think 20 ish people shouldn't be an issue.

tang daddy
05-10-2012, 05:28 PM
I am definitely for a frag swap and thanks to Rich for offering to host, time to get the BBQ out!

Bblinks
05-10-2012, 05:37 PM
We can rock the BBQ but I only have a bbq that can feed a family of 1.

tang daddy
05-10-2012, 05:49 PM
We can use my weber, it can cook a few steaks or 25 tandori chicken, alternatively hotdogs and pop at Costco for $1.50 we can order 50......

Bblinks
05-10-2012, 05:55 PM
If all else fails I guess there is always Costco.:biggrin:

apexifd
05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
If all else fails I guess there is always Costco.:biggrin:

no no no... get the kitchen reno going and hook up a natural gas grill on the patio. This seems like the ultimate plan.

Chowder
05-10-2012, 08:35 PM
No matter what you guys do I'm in. I will show up hungry. Oh and I will bring a few frags to boot.

Chris

Bblinks
05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Cool, let's do it. Of course this invitation will also include our friends on the island.

msjboy
05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
is it supposed to be potluck dinner?
Would be nice to attend but at the current weather , we might need July or even August as a better date.
msjboy

Chowder
05-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Looks very nice and sunny here.

Bblinks
05-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I will have some treats but I don't think it will be as good as Brad's. BBQ will be out if anyone want to use it and potluck is always a good idea. It's been sunny all week and if this keeps up I think we will have a beautiful westcoast summer. Late June is perfect time to kick back, relax, enjoy some good company and swap some frags. Just in case the weather gets bad I will make sure we are covered.:biggrin:

Northvan
05-11-2012, 04:16 AM
I doubt I would have any frags to swap, but might have equipment to sell or trade...(just started a 2nd tank) but hubby & I would want to attend anyway... & I like the potluck thing, doesn't matter what you bring, snacking is always fun...

Reefie
05-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Maybe we could have it at J&L and have them host it. It'd be nice for them to give BACK to our community that has supported them over the years and made them what they are today. :wink:

If not that, then at least they have a big empty parking lot. Most of the businesses there are closed on the weekend anyways. Maybe Jeff could at least spring for hot dogs and pop? :twised:

It could also lead to a big day for sales for them, make some Reefer's happy and also make some money. Cuz you all know, since you're already there, you might as well stock up on salt, additives, fish, supplies, etc.

tang daddy
05-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Well you may be on your own there Ken, since this is a frag swap, buy and sell I don't think JL will be overly exited with people selling and buying stuff infront of their store......
With that said JL should definitely throw a customer appreciation day with hotdogs and pop and coral fish sale!!

Since Rich offered to buy snacks and ice cream and do door prizes I am all down for that.

It will be a good summer get together for the Vancouver reef community with food, laughs, drinks and Frags!

pinhead
05-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Please close thread.

Continue discussion in the Lower Mainland sub-forum.

RuGlu6
05-13-2012, 07:52 PM
We can rock the BBQ but I only have a bbq that can feed a family of 1.

Funny ! Love it !:lol: