PDA

View Full Version : First loss....

Coralgurl
05-06-2012, 11:47 PM
So I went away this weekend, got home, check tank, female clown is missing. I fed the fish as she is a little pig, but no sign of her, check overflows and sump, nothing. Look behind the tank and she's all dried up on the carpet. Not sure what made her jump.

I also notice my blue hippo tang has a cloudy eye. I've done some reading, not sure if I should do anything??

daniella3d
05-07-2012, 12:52 AM
That's really sad. I don't know why but these things tend to happen a lot when we leave town.

For the cloudy eye, I would just do a water change for now and it should return to normal. Feed it good food with garlic.

So I went away this weekend, got home, check tank, female clown is missing. I fed the fish as she is a little pig, but no sign of her, check overflows and sump, nothing. Look behind the tank and she's all dried up on the carpet. Not sure what made her jump.

I also notice my blue hippo tang has a cloudy eye. I've done some reading, not sure if I should do anything??

reefgirl189
05-07-2012, 12:54 AM
It's bad luck week for most of us here on canreef :sad:.

I lost two fish this week for no reason. No idea where they've gone.

Sorry about your hippo. Is it in just one eye or in both?

Nano
05-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Sorry to hear. We lost my favorite cichlid 2 weeks ago, same way but we have a glass top, he managed to jump out of a small spot near the filter about the size of his body... The cat found him and meowed to let me know. :sad: real bummer

Coralgurl
05-07-2012, 02:52 AM
Ya, I'm bummed about it, but I guess it happens.

Will do a small water change tomorrow, did one last weekend.....

Reef girl, I had 2 fish disappear in the 55 without a trace, my bicolor blenny and mystery wrasse, I know how you feel :cry:

reefgirl189
05-07-2012, 04:41 AM
While we are kind of on topic would you replace that fish without knowing the reason for its death in the first place?

The reason I ask is because my sailfin passed away about a month ago and I have no idea why. I really miss him and I want to get another but I'm afraid he'd meet the same demise. So is it irresponsible to get a replacement fish without knowing the cause of the death on the first one?

DiverDude
05-07-2012, 04:07 PM
The sad reality is that sometimes livestock die and we don't (and won't ever) conclusively know why.

Without the equipment to fully analyze every aspect of the water (and the education to interpret the results) we sometimes just have to accept that s**t happens. It's frustrating.

I'd say of you've tested all parameters and all other livestock is behaving normally and you've waited a period (a month is more than reasonable, IMO) then I can't see why you couldn't introduce new livestock.

Coralgurl
05-07-2012, 04:18 PM
The sad reality is that sometimes livestock die and we don't (and won't ever) conclusively know why.

Without the equipment to fully analyze every aspect of the water (and the education to interpret the results) we sometimes just have to accept that s**t happens. It's frustrating.

I'd say of you've tested all parameters and all other livestock is behaving normally and you've waited a period (a month is more than reasonable, IMO) then I can't see why you couldn't introduce new livestock.

I agree. If all other fish are fine, I see no reason not to try again!

I've only had 2 fish jump on me and they were both clowns, yet I have wrasses...weird!

reefwars
05-07-2012, 04:37 PM
I agree. If all other fish are fine, I see no reason not to try again!

I've only had 2 fish jump on me and they were both clowns, yet I have wrasses...weird!

you have a six line?? my wrasse chased out my clowns both small black ones, clowns tend to hide near the top if they are bullied , then they get pushed out:)

it happenes i wouldnt think there is any reason to believe you wouldnt be successfull with new ones:)

Coralgurl
05-07-2012, 04:43 PM
No six line, have a radiant and solar wrasse. They don't chase anyone around, in fact the tank has been really peaceful with no aggression even to new comers. My daughter said she thought the male was chasing her around on Saturday. My clowns were hosting my frogspawn together, but when they moved to the new tank, it seemed they broke up and were living on opposite sides of the tank.

Is it possible the male was/is becoming a female bec of the breakup?

mike31154
05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
While we are kind of on topic would you replace that fish without knowing the reason for its death in the first place?

The reason I ask is because my sailfin passed away about a month ago and I have no idea why. I really miss him and I want to get another but I'm afraid he'd meet the same demise. So is it irresponsible to get a replacement fish without knowing the cause of the death on the first one?

I wouldn't consider a second attempt irresponsible, provided the first casualty was otherwise healthy.

Personally, I'm resigned to the fact I shouldn't have a Lawnmower Blenny, but that's after losing 3 and knowing how they met their demise. The first one was my fault (newb mistake) for not properly covering the intake of an AquaClear powerhead. In his grazing frenzy he obviously got too close & got stuck to it. By the time I saw him he was already dead. The second was a carpet surfer, found him on the floor all dried up. The third attempt was sketchy at the start since the guy was tiny when I got him. But against those odds, chased by nearly every other fish in the tank, he made it to adult size with no harm done. After about a year as an adult, he just stopped eating & starved. Sad to watch but I could do nothing to get him to eat. So I guess for the last one I didn't really know why, but I knew how. In any case, much as I appreciate their character, I won't try another. Maybe when I get a larger tank....

reefgirl189
05-07-2012, 07:00 PM

I *think* most clownfish are male with the exception of the dominant one being the female. I could be wrong on this. I think all clownfish are born male.

Coralgurl
05-07-2012, 07:22 PM
That's true, Im just wondering if the male will become female now that he's the only one.

daniella3d
05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
I don,t think so, they would fight a lot for dominance before that would happen. It's not a so quick process.

I guess the fish was startled by something and jumped out or maybe just tried to catch something on the surface and jumped out.

Twice I had clownfish introduced to each other and there was the dominance fighting but it was never so bad that one jumped out and they were in a 20 gallons only.

Usually one stay on a corner at the surface and the other one leave it alone.

Where they fighting a lot?

No six line, have a radiant and solar wrasse.

ashr
05-08-2012, 11:44 PM
+1 on the garlic!

Coralgurl
05-09-2012, 12:17 AM
I don,t think so, they would fight a lot for dominance before that would happen. It's not a so quick process.

I guess the fish was startled by something and jumped out or maybe just tried to catch something on the surface and jumped out.

Twice I had clownfish introduced to each other and there was the dominance fighting but it was never so bad that one jumped out and they were in a 20 gallons only.

Usually one stay on a corner at the surface and the other one leave it alone.

Where they fighting a lot?

They didn't fight at all that i saw, the female stayed by her frogspawn, the clown in the button. The fed together no problem each taking food to its host, if they were swimming about they didn't bother each other.

They were bought from the same tank and went in mine together and were transferred together into the bigger tank. Not sure what happened after the move.

I guess sometimes they just jump.

I generally add garlic to their food every 2 batches I mix up, selcon all the time. Will keep doing so. I just checked and her eye looks normal again, hopefully it was just a scratch.

tt101
05-09-2012, 01:02 AM
It's bad luck week for most of us here on canreef :sad:.

I lost two fish this week for no reason. No idea where they've gone.

Sorry about your hippo. Is it in just one eye or in both?

omg this is so true, my angel died for no reason a couple days ago too. it was perfectly fine and thenh suddenly spiraled and died.....

ryanb69
05-09-2012, 01:28 AM
~~about the cloudy eye

I have been doing lots of reading the past week on the disease flukes, and a cloudy eye is a common symptom. Are there any other symptoms in the fish such as lower appetite, random head twitching/shaking, rapid breathing?

Coralgurl
05-09-2012, 01:48 AM
omg this is so true, my angel died for no reason a couple days ago too. it was perfectly fine and thenh suddenly spiraled and died.....

Sorry for your loss!!:sad:

Coralgurl
05-09-2012, 01:53 AM
~~about the cloudy eye

I have been doing lots of reading the past week on the disease flukes, and a cloudy eye is a common symptom. Are there any other symptoms in the fish such as lower appetite, random head twitching/shaking, rapid breathing?

This was weird, she was fine on Friday, or at least I didn't notice anything with her eye. Got home Sunday and it was cloudy. Check today and it's gone. Now I do have ich in the tank and right now she has one spot on her eye. She eats like a pig, none of the symptoms you describe though. Her breathing is fine and she's active, haven't fed them yet tonight but she came right up to the glass looking for food. I read up on flukes as well and I don't think she has them but is there anything else I should look for?

tt101
05-09-2012, 03:35 AM
Sorry for your loss!!:sad:

thanks, i was really close to crying looool