PDA

View Full Version : Sump clean-out

Duker
04-17-2012, 08:42 PM
WOW, just finished cleaning out my sump and all pump maintenance!!!! Bloody hell that is a gross painful job; but now it's done for this year! Several bumps on the head, elbow bangs, knuckle scraps, spray's in the face with gross water/muck, soaking wet jeans, disgusting tub(where i dumped all the glorious goodies i found)and bristle worm attacks later-its done Woo Hoo!!:multi::whoo:

Funny how the skimmer works soooo much better (and quieter) after you clean out the "muffler" hose and the impeller area...three little snails in there cloggin it up, reducing the flow. :2gunfire:....got'em ha ha

And rescued one bifaciata trimma goby out of the sump and two peppermint shrimp. They are all nicely back where they belong with their buddies!

And wow the gunk that builds up on the bottom--Grrr-oss! Shop vacuumed all the crud out, now lets see my phosphate fall fast....i hope!

Now back to cleaning out the tub...

lngrhaul
04-18-2012, 03:14 AM
good for you - i hate that job. and i usually end up with broken equipment to boot! Shop vac - great idea, i think i need to invest in one of those.

gregzz4
04-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Ya, here's a job I'm not looking forward to down the road with my 50g sump. At least it's not in my stand.

Borderjumper
04-18-2012, 03:51 AM
Spring cleaning.. I'm going to have to muck mine out too.. But tonight.. Tonight I'm eating mango salsa and cooking butter chicken!:mrgreen:

Aquattro
04-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Spring cleaning.. I'm going to have to muck mine out too.. But tonight.. Tonight I'm eating mango salsa and cooking butter chicken!:mrgreen:

*Like*

Rice Reef
04-18-2012, 04:21 AM
WOW, just finished cleaning out my sump and all pump maintenance!!!! Bloody hell that is a gross painful job; but now it's done for this year! Several bumps on the head, elbow bangs, knuckle scraps, spray's in the face with gross water/muck, soaking wet jeans, disgusting tub(where i dumped all the glorious goodies i found)and bristle worm attacks later-its done Woo Hoo!!:multi::whoo:

Funny how the skimmer works soooo much better (and quieter) after you clean out the "muffler" hose and the impeller area...three little snails in there cloggin it up, reducing the flow. :2gunfire:....got'em ha ha

And rescued one bifaciata trimma goby out of the sump and two peppermint shrimp. They are all nicely back where they belong with their buddies!

And wow the gunk that builds up on the bottom--Grrr-oss! Shop vacuumed all the crud out, now lets see my phosphate fall fast....i hope!

Now back to cleaning out the tub...

Good job! I did the same three weeks ago. It sure feels great afterwards!:biggrin:

Borderjumper
04-18-2012, 04:24 AM
*Like*
Daaaamn this is GOOD!

Duker
04-18-2012, 05:01 AM
Daaaamn this is GOOD!
That's so funny, I printed off the butter chicken recipe and was all set to run out for a few ingredients but decided to finish the yucky job instead....butter chicken on the weekend. And I just finished up the rest of my salsa yesterday. Afterall I couldn't just make enough for the swap, I made a double batch.....sooooo good.

Duker
04-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Good job! I did the same three weeks ago. It sure feels great afterwards!:biggrin:

It sure does, and i can't wait to test my phosphate.......

Borderjumper
04-18-2012, 05:06 AM
That's so funny, I printed off the butter chicken recipe and was all set to run out for a few ingredients but decided to finish the yucky job instead....butter chicken on the weekend. And I just finished up the rest of my salsa yesterday. Afterall I couldn't just make enough for the swap, I made a double batch.....sooooo good.

That salsa is wicked! I actually saved a little for Boo when he gets home to try.. I hope he hates it as he doesn't like cilantro.:wink:

Duker
04-18-2012, 05:07 AM
good for you - i hate that job. and i usually end up with broken equipment to boot! Shop vac - great idea, i think i need to invest in one of those.

Yeah Lori I think had I waited any longer and yes I too would have been hunting for an impeller for my still awesome but outdated reef octopus NW 200 series skimmer. And now it is so much quieter and pulling so much skimate out already!! Guess those snails were stuck in there for a bit...:) The shop vac makes it sooooo much easier when it comes to the last inch of water/muck. Be very affraid of the minster bristle worms......I'm talkin large marge!!

Duker
04-18-2012, 05:09 AM
Ya, here's a job I'm not looking forward to down the road with my 50g sump. At least it's not in my stand.

Yeah, Greg your sump not in your stand that will make the number of bumps on ur head less!!!
I like the idea of it being tucked away, but maintenance is a pain in the butt.

Madmak
04-18-2012, 06:07 AM
My sump is perpetually clean, I only buy non-pooping fish. ;)

Borderjumper
04-18-2012, 06:10 AM
Oh can you fish-whisper my fish?

Duker
04-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Oh can you fish-whisper my fish?

LOL.... :0)