PDA

View Full Version : How to control mini brittle stars population ?

Casey8
03-28-2012, 02:39 AM
I know they are good for your tank, just like the brittle worms as people say ... but I just don't like to have them in my tank. All my pods are long gone since these creatures have taken over my rocks, I haven't seen any pods left in my tank, and I blame these ones. It must be close to a thousand if I am not exaggerating here a bit ... they are everywhere. There are at least 10 of them for each single powerhead everytime I clean it. I can't kill them, so I always put them back in my refugium. I need something that will eat them naturally. I had been googling lately and some people say the harlequin shrimp will eat any stars. But I have one hitchhiking star I don't want to lose. It is about 3 inches, I don't know what kind it is but I like it. So, I can't have the harlequin shrimp.
I am desperate I need help here, I want my big fatty pods population back, these stars need to be out of my tank. I don't care how good they are, I just don't want them in my tank.

subman
03-28-2012, 02:45 AM
feed less. tons of mini brittle stars are a sign of over feeding.

Marlin65
03-28-2012, 03:02 AM
yep thats what the problem is same with lots of brittle worms. If you have thousands you are feeding too much.

Casey8
03-28-2012, 03:09 AM
hehe ... I never see any left over food though, they must eat fish poop then ... Alright, I have no control when my fish are giving me a "starving puppy" eyes, they know how to use their "magic" ... Please tell me what type of other creature or fish eat them, PLEASE !

Wayne
03-28-2012, 03:28 AM
If you don't want to flush them... You could syphon them out into a bucket while doing water changes and just give them away for free.

FitoPharmer
03-28-2012, 03:36 AM
A few weeks ago J&L had mini harlequin shrimp. Their description said they loved to eat mini brittle stars.

Casey8
03-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Wayne, I had tried that method but their whole body is deep inside the rocks, only the tiny ugly feet sticking out. I even tried using a tweezer to pull them out but I just broke their legs apart. They are worse than brittle worms :twised: I think catching the worms is more easy.

whatcaneyedo
03-28-2012, 03:54 AM
I've got a good size wrasse that eats them: Halichoeres ornatissimus. A friend of mine also used to have what I think was a Lunar wrasse (Thalassoma lunare) that would gobble them up very aggressively. If you have a large covered tank one of those might work for you.

Casey8
03-28-2012, 04:05 AM
That wrasse will grow to 6" inches and I only have a small 75 gallon tank. Also I have a BB tank, no sand for them to feel happy. I know somebody can trade them when it grows big, but not me. After a few months later, it will become my other pet then that is it... I know I will be stuck with it till the day it dies and I can't upgrade to a bigger tank. That is the problem. Is there any creatures that you can think of, except the harlequin shrimp ?

chandigz
03-28-2012, 04:08 AM
A few weeks ago J&L had mini harlequin shrimp. Their description said they loved to eat mini brittle stars.

Bongo shrimp!! I have a pair. 3/4" and 1/2". They love mini brittle stars. They aren't cheap unless you run the marine section at a LFS and even then they really aren't that cheap. LOL

You could put your starfish in the sump and get a harlequin shrimp. I know mine is eating my mini brittlestars faster then the asterina stars that I want him to eat.

subman
03-28-2012, 04:13 AM
cut your feeding in half and they will go away.

Casey8
03-28-2012, 04:16 AM
Bongo shrimp!! I have a pair. 3/4" and 1/2". They love mini brittle stars. They aren't cheap unless you run the marine section at a LFS and even then they really aren't that cheap. LOL

You could put your starfish in the sump and get a harlequin shrimp. I know mine is eating my mini brittlestars faster then the asterina stars that I want him to eat.

That's a GREAT idea ! I can't put the harlequin in the DT but I can put it in my refugium to let it gobble up the brittle stars in there whenever I get them from the powerheads ... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Hope that might cut 1/3 of the populations in a month. But how about my DT, any idea ?

Casey8
03-28-2012, 04:17 AM
cut your feeding in half and they will go away.

That will torture me more than the fish :mrgreen:

Dive_dry
03-28-2012, 05:29 AM
if you can rotate rocks from your DT through your sump with the shrimp in your sump

janalta
03-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Flatworm X....didn't do a thing to kill my flatworms but killed off about half my brittle stars !

MMAX
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=Casey8;698434]I know they are good for your tank, just like the brittle worms as people say

What's a brittle worm? I think you mean bristle.

Casey8
03-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Flatworm X....didn't do a thing to kill my flatworms but killed off about half my brittle stars !

I am avoiding to use any medications in my tank unless I have no choice to use it for sick fish.

And yes, I meant bristle worms :redface: And the method of rotating the rocks will stress my fish out.

Casey8
03-29-2012, 12:58 AM

Bongo shrimp $70 at J&L :shocked!: This hobby is getting more expensive and RIDICULOUS :hurt: Harlequin is cheaper but only eats starfish, not brittle or serpent star, that was quoted by a person work at J&L.

subman
03-29-2012, 01:01 AM
um cut feeding in half....its less than free and everyone will be healthier....plus waaaayyy less brittle stars. just saying :wink:

Casey8
03-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Alright subman, starting tonight I will cut 1/3 of their portion. Life is not fair when you have no money and have an expensive hobby :(

subman
03-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Alright subman, starting tonight I will cut 1/3 of their portion. Life is not fair when you have no money and have an expensive hobby :(

lol now you will have extra money from the food savings!!!

I had a massive amount of them before (thousands) when I had a predatory tank tons of food and waste, and i loved feeding them (like you) but I did cut the feedings back and found the stars slowly dissapeared and to be perfectly honest the fish seemed healthier too. Trust me I know it sucks to cut back the food because its the one true chance we have to interact with our pets, so i now use an auto feeder and give 'treats' every couple days. My tank is better and fish are way better too.

sorry to rain on your parade

Casey8
03-29-2012, 02:20 AM
I should blame Tom R :wink: who sold me a dozen of sps corals back in 2008. I was so excited when I saw them hitchhiking on those frags at that time. But now after a few years later, I can't believe they reproduced into a thousand in my tank. I believe what you and Marlin65 say, I know they come from my overfeeding problem. Oh well, I will have to cope with my guilt tonight when I cut down their portion :cry: