PDA

View Full Version : How social are you?

Myka
03-17-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm wondering how many of you are hermits like me that think sharing photos of our tanks on CanReef is "social" and doing waterchanges is a good way to spend Friday evening. :lol:

It's a private poll (people can't see what you voted for), and closes in 30 days. I forgot to make it multiple choice...dangit.

reefwars
03-17-2012, 09:28 PM
haha ok this is a loaded question soooo i think im pretty social i do go out for drinks reguarily i hang with all my friends reguarily that being said none of them are reefers so im in my own little world there, i will say this it seems hard to plan things with other reefers lol is it just me??:P

**** edit****

im a "social butterfly"

too much energy:P

Myka
03-17-2012, 09:31 PM
It's not just socializing with other reefers, it's socializing with other people in general. Like me for example, I get together friends once a month or so, but I do think that Friday evening is a good time for waterchanges. :D I'm definitely not a bar star...anymore. :lol: Maybe 6 years ago.

Coralgurl
03-17-2012, 09:41 PM
I try to meet up with friends during the week/weekends, more so once hockey season ends and everyone has more time. I'm pretty shy in new situations or with new people but warm up pretty fast... Like you Myka, not so much of a bar star anymore, but enjoy hanging at a pub!

Nano
03-17-2012, 09:43 PM
1500 posts since November.. I'm pretty social but a hermit too

Proteus
03-17-2012, 09:44 PM
I am a husband and father first after work. If I have time for a social gathering bonus. But it usually means lots of kids lol every other week I spose. I only get 4 days a month off

reefwars
03-17-2012, 09:44 PM
It's not just socializing with other reefers, it's socializing with other people in general. Like me for example, I get together friends once a month or so, but I do think that Friday evening is a good time for waterchanges. :D I'm definitely not a bar star...anymore. :lol: Maybe 6 years ago.

i try to put aside my sundays for tank days i also do the house so sundays are a write off for me all in all its an all day job but its fun too so i dont mind.

a few years ago i went through this phase where i started to cut friends out and spent alot of time to my self and at work......now i try to spend every weekend doing at least something be it park with dogs or drinks at the pub

me and my family arnt the closest so ive learned that friends can be just as close if the right amount of time is put in:)

sundays though....they are mine to my self no matter what lol:P

Proteus
03-17-2012, 09:49 PM
This poll may be in the wrong season. As we all get more active as the days get longer. I do hold more dinners and have more people over in summer

troni
03-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I am a husband and father first after work. If I have time for a social gathering bonus. But it usually means lots of kids lol every other week I spose.

+1

marie
03-17-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm a complete hermit, this describes me to a tee........

I'm wondering how many of you are hermits like me that think sharing photos of our tanks on CanReef is "social" and doing waterchanges is a good way to spend Friday evening. :lol:

Borderjumper
03-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Haha weekend hermit here! I HAVE to deal with tons of people all week... And each and everyone of them want something from me.. It's my job..
But on weekends I go to my cave and usually don't come out till Monday morning.

Bblinks
03-17-2012, 10:24 PM
I am very social in terms of hanging out with friends and family. Food are a must in the Asian community, sometimes it feels like all we do is lunches and dinners. I have few separate groups of friends consists of few really close friends, work friends, and my reefing buddies! Sometime I think life tears you apart with all it's obligations and responsibilities, but I still find time to deal with 2 little rascals, my good buds, my addiction, and 2 jobs.

Life is too short, enjoy it to the fullest! Get out and have fun!

Edmonton newbie
03-17-2012, 11:19 PM
weekends are for tank work and shopping for the next work week lol too many projects on tthe go to be overly scocial, reef meets once a month and the odd lunch i guess is it

bling_bling466
03-17-2012, 11:43 PM
You forgot the spot that said I have a family

blacknife
03-17-2012, 11:50 PM
When i lived in Calgary i was out all over the place, 5 years in leduc, 3 kids later I am pretty much a hermit. Not connected really with the Edmonton scenes I was into in Calgary and then when i do get the inkling to go to a gig that i know a few friends might be at i get put off by the long drive to the event, and the thought of the long drive home after I might accidentaly have one to many beers.

is playing with the kids being social?
to add to the hermitage I work alone and put lots of km's on the work truck, and only occasionaly have to deal with the customers, or the office.

Coralgurl
03-18-2012, 12:02 AM
I have a family, kids, hockey, school, demanding jobs, etc, I also have great friends, I think social means lots of things, coffee, lunches etc,. We do group camping over the summer long weekends with friends and kids, bbq's. I lost 2 very special people over the last year that I hadn't seen in a while, always something else going on, life is busy, but nothing is more important than family and friends, just have make the effort!

sunoka
03-18-2012, 12:02 AM
I see enough people at work !.....I also have Custom Tuning company so I see even more people their as well so at the end of the day home with my wife kids pets & things are all I need geeeez sometimes there to much lol if ya know what I mean !?!

Reef Pilot
03-18-2012, 01:13 AM
As you go through life, you tend to make more and more new friends, with work, hobbies, volunteerism, clubs/associations, recreation activities, etc. And then you feel guilty, because you don't spend enough time with your old friends, and always overdue with visits and lunches. At least that is how I often feel.

I've recently retired, so should have more time on my hands, but doesn't seem that way yet. However, I am spending more time with family now, with our kids, and new grand kids, as well as out of town family. So that is good.

I am not complaining, but it is interesting how friends and social activities do change through your life. Core friends and family will always be there, but you sure do meet a lot of interesting people over time. Some change is good, though, I think.

Also, I don't think you choose your friends. They just happen. Common interests and activities seem to be the main driver. Just the way life is, I guess.

Cade
03-18-2012, 03:24 AM
I work 6-7 days a week 10-14 hours a day... My Poor fish :redface:

Its by choice tho. Started My business "Officially" so Im currently fairly busy and obsessed with my projects. :smile:

christyf5
03-18-2012, 03:40 AM
LOL, I used to have a life. Now I'm positively thrilled if I can sneak in a waterchange on a friday night and my social outing today was a trip to the LFS (which was shortened by my grabby/heavy-to-carry son, shoulda taken the stroller). So I guess I'm picking the "not-so-often" socialite, I do get out, just not very often.

Mrfish55
03-18-2012, 05:27 AM
The guys at work call me Shrek, I spend time with my family or out in the shop, my kids come first, not a lot of spare time left after that for grown up social time.

lockrookie
03-18-2012, 05:47 AM
the voices in my head keep me company its all i will ever need other than the wife and kids to pull meback to reality.

i too run a buisness on call 24/7 for you poor souls locked out of homes and cars. but more than that my wife is my best friend.. most my good friends or aquaintences, however you wish to describe it, are of the online nature.. does this make me a nerd maybe but its how i met my wife 10 years ago lol. i just found the friends i grew up with ended up being more fake and used me for help but never returned the favor than the ppl ive met in game rooms and forums.

so yes im a hermit with no life other than my family and my new found love of this hobby. andthe voices can be entertaining

MarkoD
03-18-2012, 01:17 PM
I work a lot. And all my work is interaction with people. But every other night I do go out with my girlfriend. So I'd say I'm pretty social

e46er
03-19-2012, 12:49 AM
I like to go out and have fun
Usually by Friday I'm passing out on the couch by 8 pm
I regularly go out thru out the week

Flash
03-19-2012, 01:12 AM
I work a lot. And all my work is interaction with people. But every other night I do go out with my girlfriend. So I'd say I'm pretty social

you have a gf???!!! jokes jokes!!! lol

subman
03-19-2012, 01:26 AM
I met 3 fellow canreefers today that's pretty social lol

Flash
03-19-2012, 01:31 AM
i'd say so.... i did as well... well i got to see 4 and did a crap load of driving! lol! and got to call my parents, and spend time with my other half. now watching the game with my roommate! lol it's been a good day!

fishoholic
03-19-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm fairly social. Often go out for lunch or socialize with co-workers on my lunch break during the week and I go out with friends or family during the weekend. However most evenings during the week I like to relax on the couch and watch T.V.

Funky_Fish14
03-19-2012, 02:39 AM
I had a pretty hard time with 'friends' in elementary and junior high. Good bullied bad enough it led to pa pretty bad low between then and highschool. Finally things changed in highschool... I started to make friends. I've now grabbed hold friendships a lot more enthusiastically, and my desire to be a 'social butterfly' is causing me problems with university. I go out regularly wednesdays (drop in soccer and wing's night), and usually a friday or saturday. I hardly drink but I like to spend time hanging with people and doing activities even through the week. Even during school daytimes, any friends I see or talk to, I end up hanging out with. I also have ADD. I need to develop some more control.

gobytron
03-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Seriously...
Between waking up at 5 am for work weekdays and performing weeknights at second storey theatre there is just no time or inclination for social endeavours.

It doesnt help that my job basically constitutes bull ****ting and maintaining fake realtionships with people i could really care less about.

Thats wears on a guy and really makes the relationships you actually care about seem annoying.

Reef Pilot
03-20-2012, 02:32 PM
It doesnt help that my job basically constitutes bull ****ting and maintaining fake realtionships with people i could really care less about.

Are you in sales? Just curious. I had a friend that did that (multi million dollar deals), and he used to say the same thing. He was very good, but didn't really like the job... But he retired wealthy....

Wayne
03-21-2012, 01:48 AM

Are you my dentist? :lol:

gobytron
03-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Are you in sales? Just curious. I had a friend that did that (multi million dollar deals), and he used to say the same thing. He was very good, but didn't really like the job... But he retired wealthy....

Investor Relations.
Not all multi million dollar deals.

I run the gamut...some of my book have no more than 10K in the market while others...10's of millions.

They all need their hands held the same way though.
I hate my job...lol
No way to make the money i do though...unless I had a time machine to go back and tell young me that theatre was a waste of time and to pursue a more realistic career post secondary experience...lol

Reef Pilot
03-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Investor Relations.
Not all multi million dollar deals.

I run the gamut...some of my book have no more than 10K in the market while others...10's of millions.

They all need their hands held the same way though.
I hate my job...lol
No way to make the money i do though...unless I had a time machine to go back and tell young me that theatre was a waste of time and to pursue a more realistic career post secondary experience...lol

Yeah, a bit of conflict there sometimes, what's best for you, is not always best for them... I guess you can relate to that Goldman Sachs guy that just quit and told the world what he really thought about his job...LOL

I was lucky. I liked my job, and it made me good money. Not everyone can say that.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-21-2012, 08:46 PM
This was a tricky question for me to answer because I am a workaholic and OCD, so when work is busy, I may not see my friends very much.

However, I do love to cook and have lunch and dinner parties over at my place. I built a large covered deck mainly to throw big summer-time bbq parties and have as many as 120 people over for an all-day bbq for in one day.

Plus I probably talk to (online, over the phone, through texting, and in-person) at least 15-20 reefers a week and have held a few reefer get-togethers, bbqs, and fragswaps at my place.

So I voted social butterfly.:biggrin: