PDA

View Full Version : How would you light a 6ft tank?

Magma
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
So this week I will be getting my custom made 6ft tank (build thread once I actually get the tank)

My question is how would you light the tank.

I was thinking LED but the cost is just so high for what I would need right and with things coming up in the next few months I think its more of a dream cost wise now.

I was thinking maybe pick up a couple of 36" HOT5 fixtures and hang them end to end to get the 72" of length.

And im looking for lower cost...so Im checking out ebay.
Thinking maybe 2 of these
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/36-INCH-6pc-T5-HO-AQUARIUM-REEF-LIGHTS-w-Timer-234W-/280788526412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item41604ce54c#ht_3386wt_1163

End to end thats about 400w over the tank, I know its not ideal but im not going to be going SPS, I have a few small SPS frags in my current tank, they up high on a frag rack and after 6 months in my tank with little growth whatever :p they have colour and polyp extension so I guess they are doing ok. I just plan more on softies and maybe a few LPS.

But after seeing some other members tanks in person they all had MH over them and I really like the way they look. but is there a way I can use MH pendants instead of a 72" fixture? Most fixtures I have seen run close to 1k for that length or some ebays ones for like 500.

So im unsure what to do, what to look at and im looking for suggestions on how to light this sucker, I hate to say it but its gonna be an odd looking setup for a few months as I plan on using a 2 bulb T5 and a 4 bulb T5 fixture from my other tanks until I figure this out fully.

Edit: should add the tank is 72x20x20 so rather shallow IMO

tim the toolman
03-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I have a great 6' t5 system that would allow you to grow ANYTHING in a tank that size. its 600$ obo but its in edmonton.

Magma
03-11-2012, 07:33 PM
I have a great 6' t5 system that would allow you to grow ANYTHING in a tank that size. its 600$ obo but its in edmonton.

yah 600 is the top of my budget and that's not till end of June, im an Electrician so I have 2 months of schooling coming up and EI isn't even half of what my normal pay is so im gonna pinching penny's badly

tim the toolman
03-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I hear yah. The way people are switching to LEDs i wont be surprised if these are still available in june lol.

troni
03-11-2012, 08:21 PM
check out modular led. its a diy site for leds. you can build just enough to light what you need. and cost wise its more expensive intially but pays for its self after you would normally have to change bulbs.

Magma
03-11-2012, 08:26 PM
check out modular led. its a diy site for leds. you can build just enough to light what you need. and cost wise its more expensive intially but pays for its self after you would normally have to change bulbs.

Great idea but thats 1200$ from his site and thats only the lights, I still need to find a way to mount them and make them look nice. Or I can buy 3 AI SOL units for about that price *shrug*

I work with lights and electrical all day at work I have little desire to come home and do the same for a tank when i just buy a fixture and save my time. Great idea but not for me right now.

troni
03-11-2012, 08:58 PM
im in the same line of work, and thats like saying ill pay someone else to wire my house instead of saving my time? but i do kinda know what you mean.
you dont need intense lighting so taking a few leds out wont hurt. i dunno.
my opinion is led though forsure.
what about old fixtures from work? or i think through work you can get those new t5ho high bays for around 3 bills? i think they are 6 bulb

Magma
03-11-2012, 09:05 PM
yah I actually have a contact who can get me a couple of 6 bulb high bays for about 2 each. which isnt to bad.

And yah I know its like saying I would pay someone else to but I also work a lot so when I come home its to enjoy my time not do more wiring. I was leaning more towards MH though since I really havent seem long term results with LED yet.

troni
03-12-2012, 01:37 AM
the ai sol has been around since 2007.

Myka
03-12-2012, 02:00 AM
I hung my halides in a homemade canopy. There is also a Tek T5 retrofit kit mounted in there for actinics. Shown before painting (still haven't got around to that lol). I cut the front and added hinges so it opens up.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/Jan32011.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/Jan320112.jpg

Magma
03-12-2012, 02:22 AM
I hung my halides in a homemade canopy. There is also a Tek T5 retrofit kit mounted in there for actinics. Shown before painting (still haven't got around to that lol). I cut the front and added hinges so it opens up.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/Jan32011.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/Jan320112.jpg

So how many MH bulbs do you have in that fixture and what wattage are the bulbs? 250?

the ai sol has been around since 2007.

well aware of that, also heard they are looking to launch a new unit this month called the Vegas, which is like a pro version of the SOL

Myka
03-12-2012, 02:34 AM
So how many MH bulbs do you have in that fixture and what wattage are the bulbs? 250?

My tank is 24" deep and is SPS dominant. They are 2-250 watt single end on electronic ballasts. For an LPS/softie tank I would suggest 150 watt for your 20" deep tank, but you would need three to span 6 feet. You would need to buy your lighting used in order to stay under $600. Most of my LPS do not like the 250 watt halides and have to be placed off to the sides and in the shade.

Magma
03-12-2012, 02:39 AM
My tank is 24" deep and is SPS dominant. They are 2-250 watt single end on electronic ballasts. For an LPS/softie tank I would suggest 150 watt for your 20" deep tank, but you would need three to span 6 feet. You would need to buy your lighting used in order to stay under $600. Most of my LPS do not like the 250 watt halides and have to be placed off to the sides and in the shade.

I was actually looking at getting something like this
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AQUARIUM-METAL-HALIDE-LIGHT-24-36-48-60-72-250-WATT-LIGHTING-MARINE-/180731241206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item6fc48fc6b3#ht_842wt_1163

its 3 x 250w MH + 4x 54 watt T5 HO it rings in around 500$ now I know its not perfect but with upgraded bulbs and possibly new ballasts it should work great, I have a way to suspend them over the tank and can raise them or lower them to a height I need.

Reef Supplies
03-12-2012, 07:58 PM
A light fixture on a 60" tank will be one of the most expensive accessories you will buy, choose wisely because even in used they are hard to sell in that size(should you ever want to sell).

I thought maybe you could go modular LED's like the ReefBrights but you are still looking at over $325 per 60" strip and you will need minimum 2. You next best bet would be T5's, maybe something like the 60 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife, comes with bulbs. You'll be looking at about $550 + taxes and shipping (a 60" will be pricey on the shipping as well). We have these on backorder :sad:

Good luck with your purchase
Ray

globaldesigns
03-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Hey there, as you know I have 2X 250W MH, with 2 5ft T5HO's

I would recommend doing what Myka has, using 2X 250W MH (3 if you really want lighting), and supplementing with some T5, then you can customize the actual lighting to your needs, and also get the benefits of the MH, like the shimmer.

I think key would be using good ballasts, and of course with good bulbs. Build your own fixture. I have seen many built, some ugly, but they do a great job of growing coral and lighting the tank nice. Just my 2 cents.

There are some good fixtures for sale all the time, you can also keep your eyes out for the deals.

Magma
03-12-2012, 10:59 PM
A light fixture on a 60" tank will be one of the most expensive accessories you will buy, choose wisely because even in used they are hard to sell in that size(should you ever want to sell).

I thought maybe you could go modular LED's like the ReefBrights but you are still looking at over $325 per 60" strip and you will need minimum 2. You next best bet would be T5's, maybe something like the 60 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife, comes with bulbs. You'll be looking at about $550 + taxes and shipping (a 60" will be pricey on the shipping as well). We have these on backorder :sad:

Good luck with your purchase
Ray

thats all fine and dandy but my tank is 6ft not 60" which is 5ft I am looking for a 72" fixture.

Hey there, as you know I have 2X 250W MH, with 2 5ft T5HO's

I would recommend doing what Myka has, using 2X 250W MH (3 if you really want lighting), and supplementing with some T5, then you can customize the actual lighting to your needs, and also get the benefits of the MH, like the shimmer.

I think key would be using good ballasts, and of course with good bulbs. Build your own fixture. I have seen many built, some ugly, but they do a great job of growing coral and lighting the tank nice. Just my 2 cents.

There are some good fixtures for sale all the time, you can also keep your eyes out for the deals.

Yes after seeing your tank I want MH and probably 3 x 250W which is why im thinking maybe go with an ebay fixture and upgrade the bulbs to start then ballasts when I see fit.