PDA

View Full Version : New QT or Back-Up tank

paddyob
02-28-2012, 03:40 AM
Well here is my gently used tank.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu253/paddyob/c878ca34.jpg

Approximate 38 gallons. Outside dimensions 33"x14"x19".

Going to be strictly QT or back up in case of emergency. Potentially I could season new tank water too while it sits.

What would be the best way to do this?

I thought... Water, chunk of rock to cycle, aqua clear to circulate/run carbon when required.

Any ideas?

George
02-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Other than the tank, you will need an aquaclear filter with some foams, a heater, some PVC for your fish to hide, and a powerhead or an airpump. Sometime I find that aquaclear filters don't aerate water enough. That's why you need a powerhear or airpump to increase O2 level, especially when you do something like prazipro where it depletes O2 in your water.
I would skip rock rubbles. First of all, rocks can absorb medications. Also some medic will kill off bacteria in your live rock. Live rocks also make hypo difficult.

marie
02-28-2012, 04:25 AM
I have a back up tank running, I call it my liverock tank. It has rock and sand in it along with a powerhead and heater, when I plan on bringing a fish home I usually do a large (3/4 tank volume) water change
When I bring a fish or coral home it goes into that tank first were I can keep an eye on it. If treatment is necessary I catch it out of that tank and put it into a hospital tank. It's pretty much trouble free and gets ignored for weeks on end, when there are no fish in it I don't even bother with lights......it keeps the algae in check