PDA

View Full Version : How often do you test your water?

dsaundry
02-19-2012, 10:33 AM
So how often do you test your water? I have been guilty of testing infrequently sometimes but usually once my tank has been up and running I do it once a month{for the full test deal} weekly for salinity and bi-weekly for calcium. Unless I see excessive algae growth. Here is an article from another forum I go on.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/content/71-testing-testing-equipment.html

Lampshade
02-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Usually about a day after I should have....

Proteus
02-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Weekly for salinity and cal alk

Bi weekly for po4 and everything else. Just befor a waterchange

marie
02-19-2012, 02:06 PM
You don't have the option "Your supposed to test the water?" so I didn't vote

The only thing I have tested for in the last 6 months was alk.....The only thing I have tested for in the last year was alk and salinity :redface:

Cal_stir
02-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Monthly at least, if I am adjusting my dosing, then I test the adjusted dose weekly.

paddyob
02-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I hardly ever check these days. My tests are always consistent, and always have been.

Lucky I guess. :wink:

But I would say at least every 6 weeks I do a test group.

CA/KH here and there. I have a dosing regimen thats measured by hand and consistent, so when I test, I get similar results. CLOSE results.

Aquattro
02-19-2012, 02:29 PM

lol, that's my required option as well. I ran the full test routine once this year (Ca, Alk, Mg)

reefwars
02-19-2012, 02:50 PM

The only thing I have tested for in the last 6 months was alk.....The only thing I have tested for in the last year was alk and salinity :redface:

same here, i have been testing for nitrates for a while as i just set up an ats, but now ive stopped again, personally if my tank looks good then im happy......dont fix it if it aint broke:P

whatcaneyedo
02-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Salinity and Alkalinity weekly because they can fluctuate in my tank if I'm not careful, Calcium and Magnesium Monthly since they're extremely stable. I used to test Nitrate and Phosphate but I haven't received any colour from the kits in years.

Myka
02-19-2012, 05:55 PM
When my tank was developing it was consuming more and more calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium so I was testing weekly and adjusting dosers every few weeks. Now my tank is coming up to its third birthday it has settled down, so I'm only testing the big three once every 2-4 weeks and I haven't had to adjust the dosers in at least a couple months now.

Of the other parameters; I test salinity once a week before I do a waterchange, potassium once a month or so, nitrate and phosphate once every 3-6 months. I have a digital pH meter that I use mainly on my quarantine tank and I will test the reef occasionally out of interest, but it is never interesting (which is good haha). Same deal with the ammonia kit as the pH meter - mostly for the QT. I test the TDS of the RODI water every time I use it (once a week).

I haven't voted yet, not sure which one I should vote for...?

Dez
02-19-2012, 07:04 PM
The only thing I've tested in over a year is salinity, always during water changes. That's about it. Probably not ideal, but it works for me.

Snufflupagus
02-19-2012, 08:32 PM
I have a doser coming my way, so I'll be testing everyday to get my
Dosing amounts in check, after that I'll test monthly if that.

Nanoized
02-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Testing went the way of the dodo bird a couple years back for me.
25% water changes every week with D&D salt my nano is looks great and with no loss of life.