PDA

View Full Version : Just Purchased some Cuttlefish Eggs!!

Zarstar
02-13-2012, 12:52 AM
I just purchased a clutch of cuttlefish eggs and I would like to know if anyone has experience, knows somebody with experience, or knows of a good article outlining their early stages of development. They were purchased at Aquatic Exotic in Edmonton. 3402 parsons rd.

hillegom
02-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Get in touch with this member

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65274&highlight=cuttlefish

Borderjumper
02-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Blueworld Aquariums here in Victoria has successfully raised some.. They have one in the store that's really cool. It watches the freezer that's across the room, and gets excited when anyone goes near it. It also likes female voices, and will come out and display for girls :mrgreen:

Myka
02-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Check out www.marinebreeder.org/forums

Suzy on there had raised dwarf cuttlefish from eggs. She had a whole breeding log going on there. Suzy is her real name, and her screen name.

paddyob
02-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Following.
Would love to see how it turns out!

How much were they? Could be very cool outcome.

ScubaSteve
02-13-2012, 02:14 AM
Following as well. Been gearin myself up to try this in the near future.

RedCoralEdmonton
02-14-2012, 12:08 AM
successfully raised the eggs with nothing but cyclopeeze powder... very easy to raise... just put the eggs in a breeder net and sprinkled the food in.... after about 15 minutes just washed out the net with the tank water swiching it around! Keep us posted about how it turns out!

Steve

corpusse
02-14-2012, 01:23 AM
successfully raised the eggs with nothing but cyclopeeze powder... very easy to raise... just put the eggs in a breeder net and sprinkled the food in.... after about 15 minutes just washed out the net with the tank water swiching it around! Keep us posted about how it turns out!

Steve

Do you have any documentation of this? That's pretty groundbreaking as I've never ever, heard of anyone raising them on anything but live mysids.

Cyclopeeze seems way too small as baby brine shrimp are too small. Adult brine don't have enough nutrition and everyone that has tried got 100% failure rate.

Zarstar, I do recommend you order some live mysids. Reed Mariculture is the best source as they are grown in a lab, you can get wild caught ones cheaper but they are not of the same quality. Be warned they are VERY canabolisitic. You need to hatch baby brine shrimp for the mysids. You can do this in the same tank but it is better to do it separate.

Once they get older you can certainly train them to eat frozen but I strongly suggest you start with mysids. Usually they will start eating a few days to a week after hatching and start out eating 1-2 and work there way up to 10+ at which time you can try larger foods. First amiphods and even py mysis as a first frozen food, then onto shrore / ghost shrimp and finally whatever frozen food you are going to feed them, likely uncooked grocery store shimp.

I really miss keeping these guys but it's very time consuming and expensive. I saw some eggs a couple weeks back and I told the store owner he'd have to give me $500 for me to take them and even then I'd think twice.

You should also look at joining tonmo.com the best place to discuss cephs. Good Luck!

RedCoralEdmonton
02-14-2012, 01:33 AM
lol no, no documentation, I had some come into the store unexpectedly and had no live food, so I figured "lets try this"..... it worked and Ive done it a couple times since then.... raised them until they were about 3/4-1 inch off of it.... by then they sold....

Steve

Zarstar
02-14-2012, 02:58 AM
Yes, I will keep this tag updated as the eggs progress. Not much to look at now but when they are close to hatching ill put pics up.

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

*check back in a week :D

paddyob
02-14-2012, 03:59 AM
Yes, I will keep this tag updated as the eggs progress. Not much to look at now but when they are close to hatching ill put pics up.

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

*check back in a week :D

Post the eggs! Chronical!

Zarstar
02-17-2012, 02:00 PM
First Hatch TODAY!! Will post a pic later!

I leave you this link to keep you enthused until then!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=IxPbgnO81sQ

Mrfish55
02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
First Hatch TODAY!! Will post a pic later!

I leave you this link to keep you enthused until then!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=IxPbgnO81sQ

Wow, your friend has a POS portable stereo and you have one ugly tie, but congrats on the hatch, look forward to pics.

hillegom
02-18-2012, 04:15 AM
wierd
but I had to watch the whole thing!

Reefgoat
02-18-2012, 04:29 AM
I almost shut it off at first but it is actually pretty cool.

nanogod
02-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Here are the pictures after the first one hatched

Zarstar
02-20-2012, 03:12 AM
Here are the pictures after the first one hatched

Thanks patrick :)

Zarstar
02-20-2012, 03:14 AM
I am certainly not the guy in the video, thats Nathan Barnatt. He has a few dancing videos that are similar. Truly white man dancing though...

nanogod
02-21-2012, 05:04 AM
Your welcome Landon. Its been my pleasure. They are pretty awesome, how they change colour and how they hunt.

corpusse
02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
How are they doing?

Wayne
02-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Holy he is sooo tiny!

Did you watch the "Angry Cuttlefish" video on You Tube? Gets good after the 1 minute mark :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-DusaSVHmM

Zarstar
03-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Hello,

So I have been really busy with my courses, midterms and lab reports and have not had the time to update, so here goes:

1) Of the 5 cuttles that hatched 3 are left.
2) One of the cuttles has some kind of disorder where he cannot swim properly, he won't take food but yet he's still alive...:question:
3) The 2 missing cuttles... I believe have passed on. I don't know how they died before the disabled one.
4) Recap: two healthy cuttles :biggrin:
5) No pictures, they are just to small (>1cm)

I will get pics up when they get bigger! Lata

Zarstar
04-08-2012, 04:50 PM
They all died and I don't know why, everything else in the tank is fine. I am closing this thread whenever I figure out how... Sorry fellow reefers I have failed you.

ScubaSteve
04-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Ah, don't be so hard on yourself. It's sad to hear they died but you took on a monumental challenge and to have gotten as far as you did is still impressive. Try to troubleshoot what went wrong and report back. If anything we can all learn from this and collectively move toward improving success.

I'll be trying my hand with them one day!