PDA

View Full Version : Apex lite or reefkeeper lite

kole
12-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi Looks like I will be purchasing a controller tonight. It will be the Apex lite or reefkeeper lite. Which one do you run. I'm leaning toward the Apex. Lets here it.

cale262
12-27-2011, 11:42 PM
I have both myself, you can do more with the Apex but it's takes some time to figure out. The RK is much simpler to Program and set-up. Really depends on how complicated your system is IME...If you like to tinker and you have a bunch of equipment to run, go APEX...if you don't want to spend a bunch of time messing with things and your system is simple (lights, pumps, skimmer and maybe a reactor or two) KISS with the RK.

Cal_stir
12-27-2011, 11:44 PM
I run a RKL and a RKE, had them over a yaer now. had some issues early on cuz of bad programming by DA but they seem to have all the bugs out now, haven't had any hardware issues and setup is pretty straight forward.
for the difference in money I would go with the RKE, the RKL is pretty limited. i have no experience with apex.

kole
12-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Bought the Apex

RyanJ
12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Apex all the way!! You can control it all from your phone, plus you can setup like 250 devices on there aqua bus!! I have 4 energy bar 8' s and it was super simple to setup!! In 2 years the Apex has not even failed me once! It's all plug and play.. And the programming is really easy to understand!! IMHO that is..

Raven34
12-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Apex is easy to program if you are good at that kind of stuff. If not you will never fully understand it unless you devote your life to it. I just use mine as a fancy power bar.

Aquattro
12-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Apex is easy to program if you are good at that kind of stuff. If not you will never fully understand it unless you devote your life to it. I just use mine as a fancy power bar.

Really, it's not that tough. And for those that are really challenged by these, almost anything you want to do has been done and the code can be copied and pasted into the outlet you're playing with. Check the Neptune forum on RC for lots of samples.

kole
12-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Apex all the way!! You can control it all from your phone, plus you can setup like 250 devices on there aqua bus!! I have 4 energy bar 8' s and it was super simple to setup!! In 2 years the Apex has not even failed me once! It's all plug and play.. And the programming is really easy to understand!! IMHO that is..

Really, it's not that tough. And for those that are really challenged by these, almost anything you want to do has been done and the code can be copied and pasted into the outlet you're playing with. Check the Neptune forum on RC for lots of samples.

I know where to come when I need help! Hope your up for the task. Shouldn't be too bad I have been looking around for awhile and have seen the Neptune forum on RC and I have the unofficial guide downloaded. Also bought the gaming adapter to connect wireless. Should be fun.

Parker
12-29-2011, 07:02 PM
I found the Apex to be pretty easy to program save for the e-mail set-up. That one took me a long time to get the kinks worked out. Otherwise I couldn't be happier with the unit and the service from Neptune.

RyanJ
12-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Oh there great!! I'm setting up my rodi unit on float switches this week so my rodi unit shuts down when the water level gets to the top of the resivour... Anotger great feature if your useing a kalk reactor.. You can stop doseing if the ph gets to high.. There are soooo many things you can do.. Like a float switch in your skimmer lid.. Do if it gets full it dosent pump back into your sump!! And have it email you that it happened!!

viperfish
12-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Obviously the wheels are turning but I wouldn't be so quick to install a float switch in the skimmer lid. That thing will get so plugged with crap that I would bet money it wouldn't work when needed.

reefgirl189
12-29-2011, 07:52 PM
I had the same dilemna a few weeks ago. Neptune or RK?

I chose Apex (NS) simply for the iphone app. It was a little bit strange to program. I'm used to more basic controllers from back in my reptile keeping days (herpstat from Spider Electronics for example) but it wasn't impossible. What made it impossible was finding out my router is not working. After getting frustrated and walking away half-way through programming the apex and coming back to it with a fresh mind and still not being able to figure out why I was continously losing connection I finally figured it out. Stupid router... I'm still mad at it for that BS. My new router works much better.

However I have taken automation, programming and control courses for my career so it may have come more easily to me than to others.

Whatever you do, don't program from the display. It will take you forever. If you're not going to be using the internet and email/warning capabilities of the Apex then stick with the RK. Simpler is better in this case.

Just my 2cents...

kole
12-29-2011, 07:57 PM
I have purchased the Apex with the temp and PH probe. I have the wireless adapter on its way here. I will be using the PH probe to shut down the kalk dosing if PH goes to high. Also some temperature programming like turn off heater and lights if temperature gets too high.Hopefully sending emails with alerts. What other safeguards do you have program in yours? I would like to be able shut down the return pump if the water level gets too low.

RyanJ
12-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Have a spair heater hooked up set 2 degrees lower then the apex just incase it switches off. And have your heaters set no more then 84 so if it switches on all the time it will not boil your water. And after you have it all setup the way you like it make a backup just in case. There are a few tricks, to check it from anywhere with your iPhone you have to dmz the ip of the apex. And forward the port then you can view it from anywhere! Aslong as you have your ip address :)