PDA

View Full Version : Skimz SM-251 V Deltec SC2560

asylumdown
11-30-2011, 02:30 AM
I know I know, another 'this skimmer or that skimmer' thread. However, I just finished reading the skimmer review posted by mat20040 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80512) and it made me think.

I was originally planning on buying a Deltec SC2560 for my tank, but after reading that skimmer, I'm starting to think that maybe spending 2 grand when I can spend less than 1 for something that works as well is stupid.

The sump is already built, and the sump chamber was built expecting a small footprint skimmer (specifically the Deltec), so I can't switch to something that has an obnoxiously large pump sticking off the side of it.

I'm thinking a possible candidate instead would be the Skimz SM-251. Less than half the price, close to the same footprint. I can't find any reviews on this skimmer specifically (though plenty on other Skimz models which are largely positive). Anyone here use one? Know anything about it? It's less than half the price...

Tank will be almost 360 gallons of total water, but display will be around 275

Thanks!

Funky_Fish14
11-30-2011, 02:39 AM
Like you said... not an opinion based on that skimmer specifically, but just adding another positive opinion on skimz. I have an SM-121. The small footprint is impressive... still 'skimz like a boss'. Lol.

Cheers,

Chris

fishytime
11-30-2011, 02:39 AM
my Girly is running one Adam......she is fairly happy with it......it has been a little finicky and tricky to dial in.....she has a model that doesnt yet have the new pinwheel that is supposed to improve things so????......the build quality looks about middle of the road.....the deltecs may not skim any better but I will wager that it will last longer.....I have never met anyone that was disappointed with their deltecs

asylumdown
11-30-2011, 05:18 AM
Thanks Doug & Chris!

The price tag is very enticing... even if I had to replace it in 4 years, it would still be less money than the Deltec. hmmm, plenty to think about. Is the new pinwheel on the models being sold right now?

Funky_Fish14
11-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks Doug & Chris!

The price tag is very enticing... even if I had to replace it in 4 years, it would still be less money than the Deltec. hmmm, plenty to think about. Is the new pinwheel on the models being sold right now?

I guess I should mention.... I ran a Deltec before the skimz, too, but it was not the same model as you are talking about either, haha. I was incredibly happy with the deltec, and it was only a bit easier to set and forget than the skimz. The skimz is fairly well built in terms of the cup, body, and pump area... the valve that controls the output/water level could be a bit firmer. The lid on mine does not fit tight, (does not stay on when flipped upside-down, it moves around when you shift the cup around. Deltec lid was snug). The cup does not connect to the body quite as smoothly... (the angled connection flanges are a bit more chunky)...(like Doug said... the deltec feels like it would last longer)... but in terms of overall skimming... its kicking butt just fine.

I only changed skimmers cause the deltec was too big for my system and I had to downsize and figured I would try something else. The skimz is also WAY cheaper than deltec (mine was 1/3rd the cost)... very affordable and competitive performance.

Cheers,

Chris

lastlight
11-30-2011, 06:16 AM
The Deltec has a shiny sticker on it. I figure if nobody's going to tackle the real issues here it's up to me.

Funky_Fish14
11-30-2011, 08:29 AM
The Deltec has a shiny sticker on it. I figure if nobody's going to tackle the real issues here it's up to me.

Good call Brett, you brought up a great issue with deltec actually!

The shiny sticker on mine fell off on day 2 :lol:

asylumdown
11-30-2011, 08:51 PM
stickers... pffft. When I start my skimmer company, my logo is going to be laser etched in to the plastic then powder coated with ground unicorn horns. I'm also going to fill my tank with angel's tears, which conveniently have a specific gravity of exactly 1.026.

lastlight
11-30-2011, 09:13 PM
stickers... pffft. When I start my skimmer company, my logo is going to be laser etched in to the plastic then powder coated with ground unicorn horns. I'm also going to fill my tank with angel's tears, which conveniently have a specific gravity of exactly 1.026.

Cleverness aside you still want the Deltec =)

asylumdown
12-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Ah that's right you've got the TC 2560 don't you? They are pretty damn sexy I have to admit, do you love it?

fishytime
12-01-2011, 01:19 AM
[QUOTE=asylumdown;655774]They are pretty damn sexy I have to admit/QUOTE]

Not as sexy as the red, white and goo......:wink:

asylumdown
12-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Not as sexy as the red, white and goo......:wink:

Le Sigh. I know, but the sump dimension won't work with one of the big guns in their line. We only made the skimmer chamber 18inches by 15.5inches. The only BK's that will fit are the minis and I don't think the 200 is big enough.

fishytime
12-01-2011, 01:34 AM
thats nothing a hammer wont fix:mrgreen::lol:

asylumdown
12-01-2011, 01:55 AM
thats nothing a hammer wont fix:mrgreen::lol:

you sir, are not being helpful :nono: That one baffle touches every other baffle in the tank, so I'm afraid it will have to stay as it is. Plus, I don't actually think I can move the sump, we sort of sealed it in there under the stand, so hopefully it works the way I planned :confused:

well... i had already budgeted for the Deltec.... But then again we did blow our budget on granite pretty badly.... sigh. Why am i required to think and make decisions?