PDA

View Full Version : skimmer

figdish
10-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Newbie back with more questions, received a prism skimmer from Douglas (thank you Douglas) started running this am and twice had to take water out of top where all the yukky stuff goes. Was really loud too, so know I was doing something wrong. I think I have a handle on the water flow now but still doesn't seem to be flowing as smooth as it should or maybe it's supposed to be that loud? If anyone has tips for what I am doing wrong I would appreciate. Afraid to go to bed in case I have a problem

BlueTang<3
10-18-2011, 03:51 AM
You filled the skimmer with water first??? Did you prime it properly with pinching the air intake hose off till it straightens out, the valve should be adjusted until the bubble line is around the neck. .

Reefer head
10-18-2011, 03:52 AM
umm just choke it back a bit close the suction valve a bit on the skimmer to set and those skimmers are pretty loud

figdish
10-18-2011, 04:12 AM
there are 2 separate hose connections, one to prime and once primed I move it to the other. Did that and had to watch as adjustment seemed to take a coupl of hours flow is good now just loud.

figdish
10-18-2011, 04:14 AM
I am used to seeing alot of waterflow out of freshwater filters, is the flow alot slower

Reefer head
10-18-2011, 04:32 AM
What brand is the skimmer? I have a hob red sea prizim running my 10g tank and it is really loud.

figdish
10-18-2011, 04:51 AM
What brand is the skimmer? I have a hob red sea prizim running my 10g tank and it is really loud.
it is a red sea skimmer but since turned flow down doesn;t seen to be as loud. guess flow doesn't apply like frestwater. Hope all it well in morning

Douglas
10-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Hey Figdish, They are a little noisy, but when adding more, and more equipment to a tank,.....it's noise that you've never experienced before. Once it settles down a bit, it'll quiet down. But it will help the tank. As long as there are no air bubbles in the intake pipe, and the pump is only pumping water. It should quiet down.(a bit). Did you try the light? Any better that your original?