PDA

View Full Version : Bristleworm debate

Blom
09-29-2011, 01:33 PM
I was feeding the tank last night when I saw a Bristleworm pop out of the live rock. I would venture to guess it was about a 1/4" in width and had to be close to 6+ inch long. White in color, with hints of red and white bristles. In a short amount of reading last night about them I found just about every opinion one could have. Keep them, keep them only if there small, don't keep them. From the articles many said they are mainly scavengers, with only a few different species actively hunting. But all agreed that the larger they get the more of an issue they can be. Just wanted to see what others opinions are on the site about them, and if there have been any negative experiences with them. My concern is he has grown quite big in a small amount of time, and this is only in a 28G cube.

Bblinks
09-29-2011, 02:51 PM
This is a very controversial topic as must reefer will tell you that they are primarily scavengers. For the most part it's true. When my tank is getting feed that's when they are the most active even if its day time. I have also witnessed larger bristle worm take down large chucks of droppings from aquarium habitants on several occasions. I think the real question is how are those worm appeal to each individual reefer. I myself don't like them and if I have a chance to catch larger specimen I will do so, I do tend to leave the smaller ones alone 1. Because I can't get them. 2. They do clean up all the left over food. So my conclusion is; I don't like them especially when there are size of a garden snake, I will catch any of them if I can but I don't set up campaigns to eradicate every single worm in the tank which you are probably fighting a losing battle anyways.

Blom
09-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the reply, I kind of have the same feelings. Not to mention they are absolutely hideous in my view. Since last night I have either seen another fairly large one, that or the original guy is much longer than I thought. I think I will try and get rid of him/them. Any idea on the best route to go on this? Im thinking trying to trap him would be the "easiest" method. How have others had success on this.

Blom
09-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Snapped a pic of the little bugger. Sorry for the blur

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/c/6/b/184899/dsc_0247-0.jpg?rev=0

FishyFishy!
09-29-2011, 03:43 PM
I like them. I have rarely heard of any issues with them in a reef tank. They like to eat poop... which not many other things out there do.

Here's how I think of it: If its larger than a couple inches, if I can... I'll take it out. I keep the smaller ones around.

As for getting him out... a trap is easy. But the good old plastic tongs and a quick hand are the fastest and easiest way to get him.

Proteus
09-29-2011, 03:50 PM
I leave the little ones alone as they've never seemed to harm anything. But there was a very large one in my bothers tanks which was killing snails and hermits. Not sure of the species but it was pink to red.

Blom
09-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Again thanks for the advice. I just spent some time with a flashlight and I am amazed at how many I found. Most are small <1'" long and very thin. But that big bugger has got to go. Im going to gather some tools today for my hunting trip tonight :mrgreen:

Bblinks
09-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the reply, I kind of have the same feelings. Not to mention they are absolutely hideous in my view. Since last night I have either seen another fairly large one, that or the original guy is much longer than I thought. I think I will try and get rid of him/them. Any idea on the best route to go on this? Im thinking trying to trap him would be the "easiest" method. How have others had success on this.

The best way to get rid of them is with nylon stocking, wrap a piece of shrimp in the middle and leave it overnight. The little bristles that protects them will also be there demise, worms goes in but they dont come out.:twised:

Wayne
09-29-2011, 06:24 PM
The best way to get rid of them is with nylon stocking, wrap a piece of shrimp in the middle and leave it overnight. The little bristles that protects them will also be there demise, worms goes in but they dont come out.:twised:

+1 for trap idea. I personally would be happy never to see another bristle. I have allergic reactions to them when I get nailed by one. So now I trap, physically remove and I also have a 6 line and a Banded coral shrimp ;)

lastlight
09-29-2011, 06:52 PM
I caught a large one (7" or so) in a bottle when I was trying to catch my cleaner shrimp before a red bug treatment. I was going to default to removing it but couldn't think of a good reason to so back in he went. I foolishly tossed it onto my favia which was left with a ton of bristles :twised: I also see my royal gramma from time-to-time with a full beard of the things.

I'd toss one if I ever had the chance again.

Cal_stir
09-29-2011, 10:27 PM
we have a 6 incher, scares the wife, she thinks it's a snake, mainly hangs out in the zoa garden, never bothers anything, excellent scavenger, keep it. the zoas where it hangs out are the healthiest zoas in our tank

Blom
09-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Well I didnt get a chance last night to pull the worm out of the tank. Which is a shame because I woke up to a blue legged hermit crab torn to little bits.

mike31154
09-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Is it possible to get a clearer photo? I'm probably wrong, but from the pic you posted it may not be a brislteworm, but a peanut worm. I've seen the odd bristleworm during the day in my system, have also seen my cleaner shrimp yank a small one & eat it. Since you mention you see these primarily at night is why I think it might be peanut worm. I see a number of these extend from their hole at night, more so than bristleworms. It that's what it turns out to be, they are definitely harmless.

lastlight
09-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Well I didnt get a chance last night to pull the worm out of the tank. Which is a shame because I woke up to a blue legged hermit crab torn to little bits.

You can almost certainly blame another hermit for that one I think.

marie
09-30-2011, 06:16 PM
You can almost certainly blame another hermit for that one I think.

+1 unless it was just an empty molt shell.....

reef684
09-30-2011, 11:42 PM
I just found the same thing, bought an arrow crab. He should hunt down the beast.

MKLKT
10-01-2011, 01:21 AM
While I don't think they're a problem in the tank, I'm also not a fan of getting their fibreglass-like bristles in my hand. I don't have any that I'm aware of in my tank, lots of other critters though.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-01-2011, 02:06 AM
One big sucker (over 8" long) actually killed one of my seahorses years ago. I was watching the tank & it came out of its hole and bit the seahorse in the chest. The pony thrashed about but the worm didn't let go for over 10 secs. I ended up tearing apart the tank to catch the worm out. The pony died a couple of days later. So I'm in the "not a fan" category.

Small ones I have no problems with. Big ones I catch out and kill. A sign you're overfeeding is when there are lots of bristle worms.

Anthony