PDA

View Full Version : Regal Tang + Other tang??

doch
07-23-2011, 04:08 PM
On my stocking list I had put the Regal that I already have, and either an Achiles or a Powder blue. I've been doing some reading since and found that the Regal is classified as peaceful, but the other 2 are aggressive. Both say to not put with other tangs. Anybody have good luch with either of these guys with a regal tang? In my first tank way back when, I had a regal and a powder blue, but they were both young.

If either of these tnags are a bad idea, are there any that would work well?

FYI, I'm running a 160 gallon... 48"*30"*26"

naesco
07-23-2011, 04:28 PM
On my stocking list I had put the Regal that I already have, and either an Achiles or a Powder blue. I've been doing some reading since and found that the Regal is classified as peaceful, but the other 2 are aggressive. Both say to not put with other tangs. Anybody have good luch with either of these guys with a regal tang? In my first tank way back when, I had a regal and a powder blue, but they were both young.

If either of these tnags are a bad idea, are there any that would work well?

FYI, I'm running a 160 gallon... 48"*30"*26"

You have a four foot tanK?

In your reading you may have come across the fact that tangs are swimmers. They constantly swim from one end of the tank to the other. They need the length that longer tanks provide. 6 feet. If you observe thier behavious in a suitably sized tank compared to a four footer, it is obvious.

doch
07-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Oh man... and I forgot my reef keeping lisence and tank registration in my other pants... ;)

Madreefer
07-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Oh man... and I forgot my reef keeping lisence and tank registration in my other pants... ;)

Good one:lol:

Aquattro
07-24-2011, 03:22 PM
I have a Regal, a Naso, 2 Yellows and a Powder Blue. The Regal is by far the most aggressive. The Naso won't look at any other tang. The PB is new and smaller, but not taking a lot of crap.
Both the Achilles and PB can be difficult, so ideally have one held at the store until you're sure it's eating well and keeping weight on.

Aquattro
07-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Good one:lol:

Which part was good? The ignoring good advice part, or the sarcasm part?

BlueTang<3
07-24-2011, 03:41 PM
I do agree with the swimming room part but what can I say i have a regal, yellow, purple, powder blue, naso, sailfin, tommi. In my tank for the last year the regal is by far the most timid, the powder blue will thrash anything new in the tank including my arm. He bitten me quite a few times :redface:

reefwars
07-24-2011, 03:44 PM
You have a four foot tanK?

In your reading you may have come across the fact that tangs are swimmers. They constantly swim from one end of the tank to the other. They need the length that longer tanks provide. 6 feet. If you observe thier behavious in a suitably sized tank compared to a four footer, it is obvious.

its true especially with those two species the pb is a really hard fish to care for so like brad said put it on hold to make sure its healthy and eating, the achiles grows to be a fair size and really needs alot of swimming room plus is a tad bit aggressive but then again as are most tangs:) honestly wouldnt be the best choices but id take the pb over the achiles any day with the achiles you eventually have to sell or upgrade;)

Aquattro
07-24-2011, 03:55 PM
the regal is by far the most timid

Which goes to show that it's really hard to predict! Mine rules the tank :) Although the PB is new and a lot smaller, I suspect the tank dynamics to change as he grows.

BlueTang<3
07-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Which goes to show that it's really hard to predict! Mine rules the tank :) Although the PB is new and a lot smaller, I suspect the tank dynamics to change as he grows.

Yeah my Regal will hide in the corals if someone new comes over

spit.fire
07-24-2011, 04:26 PM
mine hides to unless theres food involved, ive got a chocolate and its ALWAYS swimming around

Aquattro
07-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah my Regal will hide in the corals if someone new comes over

Curious, how large is it? Mine is a good size, maybe 6 inches or so. Wonder if they get braver as they grow?

Madreefer
07-24-2011, 04:37 PM

The sarcasm, if it really matters to you. You did'nt find any humor in the OP's response?

reefwars
07-24-2011, 04:51 PM
The sarcasm, if it really matters to you.

ouch.... thats gotta burn....:ban: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgr een::mrgreen::twised::twised::twised::twised::twis ed::twised::twised::twised:

reefwars
07-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Curious, how large is it? Mine is a good size, maybe 6 inches or so.

kinda personal isnt it brad lol lets keep it PG lol:biggrin:

Madreefer
07-24-2011, 07:28 PM
ouch.... thats gotta burn....:ban: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgr een::mrgreen::twised::twised::twised::twised::twis ed::twised::twised::twised:

Dude thats not meant to be fightin words. Nor was I bashing Naesco, it was good advice. Thats the problem with public forums, it's hard to tell how a person is coming across. Sorry, now back on topic we're starting to hijack.

reefwars
07-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Thats the problem with public forums, it's hard to tell how a person is coming across.

i guess your right hence all the smiles i was kidding man take it easy by no need to get mad or whatever else it is your gettin lol

doch
07-24-2011, 11:16 PM

Well, there was certainly a lot of 'tang police' sarcasm in there, which, given the avatar of the first reply, I think it fits quite nicely. I never said that I'm ignoring the advice however. Given my findings on both of these tangs, and the advice from Naesco, I'm seriously considering changing my plan. I may give in should I find a nice healthy powder blue at an LFS someday, but that is more of a lack of will power than it is ignorance.

Should anybody have other tang species that would work well with a regal, and in a 4'x30" tank, kindly pipe in. I'm open to suggestions. What about a Purple? I like them, but I've always considered there cost vs beauty ratio to be a little bit off.

For what it's worth, my regal is pretty mellow... so far at least. 'She' was never harassed by my Flame Angel which I assume would be because she wouldn't let hime push her around, but I've never seen any agression out of her.

mark
07-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Added a Regal to 145g that had a Purple, zero aggression from the start. Both were about the same size.

reefwars
07-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Well, there was certainly a lot of 'tang police' sarcasm in there, which, given the avatar of the first reply, I think it fits quite nicely. I never said that I'm ignoring the advice however. Given my findings on both of these tangs, and the advice from Naesco, I'm seriously considering changing my plan. I may give in should I find a nice healthy powder blue at an LFS someday, but that is more of a lack of will power than it is ignorance.

Should anybody have other tang species that would work well with a regal, and in a 4'x30" tank, kindly pipe in. I'm open to suggestions. What about a Purple? I like them, but I've always considered there cost vs beauty ratio to be a little bit off.

For what it's worth, my regal is pretty mellow... so far at least. 'She' was never harassed by my Flame Angel which I assume would be because she wouldn't let hime push her around, but I've never seen any agression out of her.

i know im gonna get arrested for this by the tp but you could always buy small and trade or give to another reefer when hes out grown its not like your in the middle of no where im sure theres someone in edmonton who would take it when it got to big for you,possibly trade for coral or a small amount of cash:):)

doch
07-25-2011, 12:32 AM
i know im gonna get arrested for this by the tp but you could always buy small and trade or give to another reefer when hes out grown its not like your in the middle of no where im sure theres someone in edmonton who would take it when it got to big for you,possibly trade for coral or a small amount of cash:):)

That has certainly crossed my mind as an option, but I kind of get attached to certain fish... and I'm pretty sure that a nice Powder Blue would fall in that category. That said, we (along with many of the rest of us) are on a 5 year plan up in the mac... when we leave, there will DEFINETLY be room in the new house for a minimum of a 6' tank. So... maybe I'd be ok with the plan of the next upgrade??? We'll see.

reefwars
07-25-2011, 12:36 AM
That has certainly crossed my mind as an option, but I kind of get attached to certain fish... and I'm pretty sure that a nice Powder Blue would fall in that category. That said, we (along with many of the rest of us) are on a 5 year plan up in the mac... when we leave, there will DEFINETLY be room in the new house for a minimum of a 6' tank. So... maybe I'd be ok with the plan of the next upgrade??? We'll see.

heheheh upgrades are fun:peace:

naesco
07-25-2011, 12:47 AM
There are a couple of options. One is a kole tang. It eats film algae so you have to leave one side of the tank dirty.

The other is the scopus tang. It eats macro algae and other green foods.

Reefwars the problem with buying a small tang with the intent that a reefer will upgrade soon is that despite best intentions things get in the way; financial, divorce, kids etc.

I agree with doch, I could never part with a tang once I had it for a few years. I could with a wrasse and many other fish but not a tang. They, like clownfish tend to get personalities.

reefwars
07-25-2011, 12:53 AM
There are a couple of options. One is a kole tang. It eats film algae so you have to leave one side of the tank dirty.

The other is the scopus tang. It eats macro algae and other green foods.

Reefwars the problem with buying a small tang with the intent that a reefer will upgrade soon is that despite best intentions things get in the way; financial, divorce, kids etc.

I agree with doch, I could never part with a tang once I had it for a few years. I could with a wrasse and many other fish but not a tang. They, like clownfish tend to get personalities.

i know that and i do the same i get attached and its true stuff does happen but it wouldnt work for me as theres no one here to give it to but in ft mac you could easily give it to someone in edmonton theres hundreds of reefers there who would take a pb or achiles in a heartbeat but i completely agree not a good practise and i would never tell that to a newbie but doch is experienced so i figured id shoot it out as im sure he knows plenty of reefers:):)

reefwars
07-25-2011, 12:54 AM
i do love the kole tangs though that would be a good choice im not a big fan of scopas but what one person likes another doesnt right:):)

doch
07-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but neither the Kole, nor Scopas intrigue me. Too much brown... not enough colour for my tastes.

Any other suggestions?

reefwars
07-25-2011, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but neither the Kole, nor Scopas intrigue me. Too much brown... not enough colour for my tastes.

Any other suggestions?

possibly a tomini i really the chevron tangs but sadly it grows quite big:):) unfortunetly tangs dont stay small and most get to be larger then 10" a yellow would be fine also but border line

lastlight
07-25-2011, 04:15 AM
No kole dissing! Mine hasn't got a lick of brown on it. Purples and blues and of course yellow.

Then I turn the radiums off ;)

naesco
07-25-2011, 05:35 AM
No kole dissing! Mine hasn't got a lick of brown on it. Purples and blues and of course yellow.

Then I turn the radiums off ;)

I was going to ask doch to take another look at the kole for the colouring you posted but under LED. They have big bright yellow eyes that always seem to be looking at you. Their eating behaviour is really interesting.

doch
07-25-2011, 02:19 PM
After I posted that I actually saw a few pics of some pretty nice looking Koles. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a nice one... anybody seen any nice ones lately? Preferably in Edmonton.

Gripenfelter
07-25-2011, 07:18 PM
I have a 48x24x24 tank and will be upgrading this winter. My tangs are all under 6" so far. Building a 6-8 foot tank this winter.

Currently have the fish in my signature below.

Yellow Tang is the most aggressive in my tank and attacks all new additions.

I put mirrors up against the tank when I add new fish. The fish attack the mirrors and leave the new fish alone.

Recently added a sailfin tang to the tank. He swims along side the yellow tang now.