PDA

View Full Version : Help: New to SW

Beano1169
07-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Hi I'm new to the salt water game, I have experiance with Fresh but I have become bored and want to start something new and exciting.
I have some knowledge and research on Sw tanks and are I am continuing to expand on that. It is possible that I will be obtaining a 40g tank drilled in both back corners with overflows. I may also be getting a 29g which i will turn into a sump from some DIY vids. In the mean time I have a 15g non drilled, T8 lighting Fw tank taht i might try to start a Nano in, any suggestions on how to go about converting this tank into SW. And if anyone is selling parts for a 40g SW setup I would like to hear from you on that matter. Thanks for your time.:mrgreen:

Money pit
07-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Welcome to Canreef
If you keep your eye on the buy/sell section, pretty much anything you need will eventually come up for sale. Good luck and enjoy.

abcha0s
07-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Welcome to this awesome hobby that we share. Read through some of the build threads / tank journals here. There's lots of great information buried in them.

If you just want to chat about some of your ideas, feel free to come for a coffee. I'd be happy to walk you through my setup.

- Brad

FishyFishy!
07-23-2011, 02:31 PM
On a tank that size, without being drilled, I would recommend an Aquaclear 110 or 70, modded into a refuge. I have a small 10 gallon running on a aquaclear 110, with a heater, floss, a deep sand bed, live rock rubble, and then cheato with a fuge light.

That combined with a good T5HO or Metal halide light would work awesome.

You are more than welcome to swing by and have a look at the setup. I have had many different things growing on that setup. Take a look at my build thread located here:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71793

I also have an extra AC70 that I could give you to start out. Already modded for a fuge, and some cheato trimmings if you need it.

Here is a good DIY thread on modding the AC110 into a Fuge:

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32267

Jenn_737700
07-23-2011, 07:00 PM
+1 for Fishyfishy, my 10gal is set up almost exactly the same way:biggrin:

Beano1169
07-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the input, this has really helped. I think I'm going to start setting up my fifteen gallon for sw. I want to make just a fowlr tank at first cause I dont have the lighting for coals just yet, and suggestions on live stock and substrate and lr. Any inaifht is greatly appreciated.

FishyFishy!
07-23-2011, 08:54 PM
In a 15 gallon, you could do a couple of small clowns, and a couple small gobies. I like yellow and green clown gobies, and the Catalina Goby is crazy colorful. Some inverts like Porcelin Crabs and Cleaner or Fire shrimp would be awesome as well.

Here is a link to Nano tank Fish:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

Liveaquaria is a good place to search for ideas on livestock. They have a pretty decent database for lots if different fish/inverts/corals. (Just remember its just for information as they do not ship to Calgary).

As for subsrate, just do an inch-ish thick layer of Caribsea Agramax Select sand. A 30 lb bag of it should be sufficient, and you can pick it up at your local PetSmart for way cheaper than anywhere else.

Caribsea Aragamax Select Sand / Substrate - 30 lbs (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/cs-amaxs30/Caribsea+Aragamax+Select++Sand+++Substrate+-+30+lbs..html)

Jenn_737700
07-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Well, first off, I would suggest to get 15 lbs of live rock for your tank. You can get that either at the lfs or from someone who is taking down their tank. ( lfs will charge you an arm and a leg for it, $10 a pound or more:razz: so its generally quite a bit cheaper to get it from someone on here.) If you dont want all live rock, you could go with part base rock and part live rock, but for beginners I would reccomend you start with just live rock.

Sand can also be obtained from someone on here, and whether you choose a shallow or deep sand bed is entirely up to you.

For livestock, you could probably put about 3-4 fish in there. ( I have 4 fish and a large shrimp in my 10gal, but its pretty crowded )

Some ideas for fish:
-clowns ( occelaris, percula )
-gobies ( neon, trimma, firefish, clown )
-damsels ( three spot, yellow-tail )
-blennies ( tailspot, their awesome, I have one )
-atlantic pygmy/ cherub angel
-yellowhead jawfish
-dottyback ( royal )

Here's a link to an awesome guide to nano fish:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74703

Good luck :biggrin:

Beano1169
07-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Hey so thank you all for the various info!
haha I have been constantly reading up and understanding the process that is saltwater hahahaa. If I ask another question, what equipment would I need to start setting up asap. I have the heater and lame lighting so just looking for other things i would need such as portien skimmers, powerheads, filters. The tank is undrilled and will remain that way for sometime haha. I dont exactly know which size and type of equipiment i need exactly for direction is muchly noted!

reefwars
07-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Hey so thank you all for the various info!
haha I have been constantly reading up and understanding the process that is saltwater hahahaa. If I ask another question, what equipment would I need to start setting up asap. I have the heater and lame lighting so just looking for other things i would need such as portien skimmers, powerheads, filters. The tank is undrilled and will remain that way for sometime haha. I dont exactly know which size and type of equipiment i need exactly for direction is muchly noted!

i run a 20g reef as basic as it gets like above i have a ac110 modded for a fuge just like in the thread,youll need a heater and powerheads(i use 2 koralia nanos) your gonna want a refractometer to measure the salinity and your gonna want a thermometer for temp.your going to need to get test kits....the basic kits come with nitrate,ph,amonia,nitrite but would recomend getting tests for calcium,allalinity and magnesium.

when you first set your tank up you will need to measure for amonia and nitrites and nitrates afterwards you wont need your nitrite and hopefully not your amonia kits anymore.

aim your powerheads in a way that gets flow all around your tank and i keep one pointed towards the top to agitate the surface and increase oxygen in the tank.

everything should be regular like water changes and feedings top off water and husbandry your tank will appreciate it.

do not over feed and keep an eye on nitrates and phosphates or you will be battling algae blooms like no tomorrow.

use ro water or at least prime if using tap water

invest in a hob skimmer if possible but if your going to upgrade anyways i wouldnt worry about it for now i dont use one and have not with many set ups but the benefit is tremendous if you do.

consider running a phosphate reactor or media reactor for carbon

this is the basics for a simple set up its really not hard its when you get lazy or dont follow the steps that problems happen

two golden sayings in the reef hobby memorize them and think of them for everything you do

"nothing happens fast in a reeftank(or fowlr) but disaster"

"the solution to pollution is dillution"

patience is the key read read and read some more and when you think you know it read it again i guarantee youll learn something new every day :) any questions just shoot we are all here to help and have a little fun with this awesome hobby

cheers:):)

o and by the way check your wallet cause your now broke lol

Beano1169
07-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Haha awesome well break down starts tomorrow!!! And the buying begins lol. Timeto empty t out my. wallet haha can't wait to start-up

Beano1169
07-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Hahah so slight delay on the removal of the freshy stuff, but thats happening all tomorrow. Does anyone have an Idea about where I can go to find some Nano Koralia power heads for super cheap, and possibly a decent t5 lighting system about 24"-36" 2x or 4x the light space. Thanks for the help, also justa quick shot in the dark, would a 15g be to small for an anemone. Only reason I ask is cause Im kinda thinking clown fish are fun haha and I need an idea to build me tank around at this point in time; any suggestions?

Beano1169
07-28-2011, 06:05 PM
I found a brand new t5 lighting system and I was curious if anyone knows much about this specific lighting system.

Coralife Aqualight T5 HO 24" Double Linear Strip Fixture

And if anyone has input on a more inexpensive fixture this one runs about 139.99.

Beano1169
08-01-2011, 12:00 AM
The tank is bare, the filter moded. A korralia nano fire flow and next paycheck we start the cycle.

intarsiabox
08-01-2011, 02:30 AM
I found a brand new t5 lighting system and I was curious if anyone knows much about this specific lighting system.

Coralife Aqualight T5 HO 24" Double Linear Strip Fixture

And if anyone has input on a more inexpensive fixture this one runs about 139.99.

Well, you can get that fixture at JL Aquatics for $120 plus free shipping. I don't think you'll find much cheaper fixtures and one of these will do for a 15g FOWLR tank or maybe a few easy to keep soft corals. Anything else and you will want to upgrade the light.

Beano1169
08-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Tank is set up, koralia nano powerhead, heater, and ac110 fuge mod. just gotta wait till next pay day and boom, waater, LS and LR :)

just a question about my ac100 fuge what all do i use as media?

intarsiabox
08-04-2011, 01:54 PM
LS, LR rubble, macro algae and a small light fixture. If you google ac110 mods you can see lots of setup pics.

Beano1169
08-04-2011, 03:13 PM
awesome thank you very much :)

FishyFishy!
08-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Do you have pics of how you modded it?

Beano1169
08-05-2011, 03:43 AM
I can post some but I followed that build you sent me to a tee.

Beano1169
08-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Hey all, just a few questions. Will my fuge mod ac110 and a koralia nano 240 powerhead be enough flow for my 15 gallon, possibly a 20 if I decide to upgrade? and will the fulval E series 50W heater be enough? thanks for your time, count down till friday to grab some more equipment

FishyFishy!
08-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Those will be plenty of flow. The AC110 is a big filter at pull power.

Beano1169
08-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Thanks fishy, another question if you could then is the Sunlight Supply New Wave 4 Bulb T5 better then the marinelane double bright LED the sunlight never specified the lumens but marineland said it housed 8 1w leds producing 600 lumens. it was unclear if that was per light or the entire fixture. In time i want to keep amazing corals much like many tanks I have seen so I was hoping to get a pretty decent light fixture to start with. Each of these I have seen on JL for under 200$ for I was hoping to get some insight on which is best.

Beano1169
08-09-2011, 01:05 AM
How much light is too much light? A colleague of mine informed me that I could very well harm my reef and corals with too much light. So corresponding to my previous message, which light could possibly be too intense so to speak for my size of tank? The exact demensions are, 14"H x 23 3/4"L x 11 3/4"D

FishyFishy!
08-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't worry at all about too much light with either of those lights. And if you're stuck between the two, I would go T5's for sure. I'm not a fan of the marineland LED lights. T5's also give you a better range of color spectrum/bulb selections.

Beano1169
08-10-2011, 09:35 PM
well the odyssea is thw winner haha Im just now trying to get a good handle on where to find some cheap base rock small pieces for buidling caves and junk :) or smaller pieces of Lr

abcha0s
08-10-2011, 10:01 PM
well the odyssea is thw winner haha Im just now trying to get a good handle on where to find some cheap base rock small pieces for buidling caves and junk :) or smaller pieces of Lr

We have some good cheap base rock in stock. Seems like a good excuse to stop by. You can cherry pick the pieces you like.

- Brad

fishytime
08-11-2011, 12:57 AM

Red Coral will have both LR and Marco rock......just watch out for "Zeus" in the LR bin......one thing to keep in mind is......base or dead rock will take a long time to become live.....it doesnt happen over night or even in a month.....it may take months.....so the more dead rock you use, the more patient you will need to be about livestock additions.....

Beano1169
08-20-2011, 05:06 AM
I have just come across a new rimless 20-25 gallon tank that will now be used for my nanreef. I just am curious, will my modded AC110 be alright to continue to use for this tank and together with my 240 koralia nano powerhead will this be enough flow? previous, I am curious to know if I will need more watts for my odyssea MH+T5+led set up its a 298W should I upgrade to the 346Watt system, Im going to try for mainly softies with a few sps corals.

Beano1169
08-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Hey all I found someone that can build me some sweet tanks, if you have seen anymore threads of mine you will know whats up for the large tank. But at this moment Im getting a tank with the demsions 30"L x 14"W x 13.5"H , around 25 gallons. Being so Low is it too much light to use the odyssea 346W MH system?

Beano1169
09-19-2011, 05:12 PM
The lights are here. The tank is close to running. Just gotta wait for carpet in the new house before water gets in :) pics will be up soon

christyf5
09-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Awesome!! Cant' wait to see pics :biggrin:

Beano1169
09-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Just as a brief over view, I was curious if my new lighting system the odyssea 346W is too much light for softies. It includeds a 250W MH light, with 4 x 24W T5 actinic lights and 4x 3W actinic LEDs, is this going to be to much light for softies such as frogspawn, fingerleathers, toadstools, and stuff like that. also I would be interested in some SPS if anyone has suggestions. Also I have heard constant back&fourth to the idea of anenomes in small tanks, is there any i could possibly fit in my 25 Gallon tank?

Beano1169
09-19-2011, 06:43 PM
also I will have a combined GPH of 740, is this too much flow for my tank?

Beano1169
11-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Hey, so the tank is ranking longer then I want. But with all this free time I have come across a few tanks. I was looking for some suggestions about how I can drill a smaller tank for my sump and where in Calgary I could find someone to drill for me.