PDA

View Full Version : Flow Options

Parker
07-20-2011, 06:25 PM
After seeing Dez's tank in action, I'm just not sure I have the right amout / type of flow in my tank to have long term success.

I was thinking of either adding a wave box to the tank ( albiet I do find them to be a tad ugly) or using 2 Vertex Motions on my top two closed loop outlets.. What's the better option to start with? I think I would like to both loooong term, but I want to start with the best option first.

Dez
07-20-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm not sure if there is the "best" option. The vertex motions will just randomize your existing flow hopefully minimizing dead spots. A wavebox will move the whole body of water. I believe a vortech is a good option too. It's smaller than a wavebox but it can make waves or randomize strength of flow as well. I would probably go with that over a wavebox. I went with a wavebox because I wanted to hide it on the outside.

Bblinks
07-20-2011, 07:03 PM
I really like the wave motion that is created by my tunze wave box, but god knows it is friken massive. It takes up a lot of realestate in the tank and I hate it. I forgot if Dez or some one else incooperated the design of the wave box on the outside of there tank, but that is genius. I wish I would have thought about that. There is always the next build.:mrgreen:

Dez
07-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I really like the wave motion that is created by my tunze wave box, but god knows it is friken massive. It takes up a lot of realestate in the tank and I hate it. I forgot if Dez or some one else incooperated the design of the wave box on the outside of there tank, but that is genius. I wish I would have thought about that. There is always the next build.:mrgreen:

Yup, mine is hidden. The outlet of my wavebox is flush with the wall of the tank so you don't see anything.

Bblinks
07-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Yup, mine is hidden. The outlet of my wavebox is flush with the wall of the tank so you don't see anything.

That is obsolutely ingenious. I am getting a 300 gallon marine land deep and I like to copy it but only with your premission. :wink:

Parker
07-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I believe I have enough flow in terms of sheer water moved, however I think I would be better served to supplement that with some form of radomization.. I have time to think about it :)

fencer
07-20-2011, 08:57 PM
You sort of need both

Wave boxes are low energy surges...providing enough for water movement in low circ areas. SPS in particular requires pulses of varying freqency and intensity which you gain from vortech or tunzes. Which inturn keeps the junk off the polyps but doesn't rip them off. You can chain a tunze power head to a wave box and get both effects. An apex controller with tunzes or vortechs can also achieve this

lorenz0
07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Tunze, enough said

to many issues with vortech's powerheads. Parts breaking and the noise. Not one issue with my tunzes in 2.5 years

cwatkins
07-20-2011, 09:42 PM
You sort of need both
SPS in particular requires pulses of varying freqency and intensity which you gain from vortech or tunzes. Which inturn keeps the junk off the polyps but doesn't rip them off. You can chain a tunze power head to a wave box and get both effects. An apex controller with tunzes or vortechs can also achieve this

+1 I'm loving my Vortech's with the WXM on my Apex.

whatcaneyedo
07-21-2011, 12:08 AM
While its not on your list my vote is for Oceans Motions.

monocus
07-21-2011, 12:32 AM
i put a nano wavebox that i got from e-bay for $240 delivered.absolutely no problems with it(running for 3 years now)adjustable pulse with night time sensor.as i have a peninsula tank(220 gal) i built the rockwork around the box to hide it .you can see the movement of the sea snow in the tank and it reaches everywhere