PDA

View Full Version : 25 gallon questions

cathyg_99
07-17-2011, 10:17 PM
i know its not really a nano but, im downsizing from a 90gallon, i have a 1 bulb T5 and was going to use an HOB filter, any other suggestions for me??

it will just be two clowns, anemone, leathers, mushrooms, maybe some zoas and a galaxy coral

skabooya
07-18-2011, 04:37 AM
Yes 25gals is a nano. Speaking from personal experience 1 bulb wont be enough. You will need at least 2 T5 bulbs over that tank. Over my 28gal long I had 2x39T5HO bulbs... Is yours a High output T5 or normal T5? Anyway, I had 2 bulbs over mine and I could only keep softies and some lps. The lps had to be high in the tank close to the light.
I am almost sure nems need more lighting. Everything else should be fine with 2 bulbs. The galaxy coral may or may not be happy. LPS can be touch and go unless high up close to the light in a system like that.

An HOB wont provide enough flow. I asked about that before because thats what I was going to do. You will need a powerhead for more flow.

Invest in a skimmer unless you are definitely doing religious WC's

Pretty much everything is the same as a larger tank but you just need to be more careful as things happen much faster in a smaller system than in a bigger system. It takes a lot to keep it stable compared to a larger system.

bignose
07-18-2011, 04:57 AM
I would go with a 4 bulb T5HO for flexibility with color.

reefwars
07-18-2011, 10:12 AM
i know its not really a nano but, im downsizing from a 90gallon, i have a 1 bulb T5 and was going to use an HOB filter, any other suggestions for me??

it will just be two clowns, anemone, leathers, mushrooms, maybe some zoas and a galaxy coral

turn your hob into a fuge but dont really count on it for anything else,your nem will def need more light.

skabooya
07-19-2011, 05:31 AM
I agree with the lighting. I had a 2 bulb fixture but I recently upgraded to a 4 bulb and I LOVE it.

cathyg_99
07-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I agree with the lighting. I had a 2 bulb fixture but I recently upgraded to a 4 bulb and I LOVE it.

Do you have any before and after photos i went to ai and they said a two bulb would be fine so thats what i ordred

skabooya
07-19-2011, 04:22 PM
2 bulb is fine for the easy care softies and the hardy lps IF you put them high up in the tank. I though it was enough too. I actually got another 2 bulb fixture (thus making 4 bulbs over my tank) so I could keep higher light macro algaes like sargassum and photosynthetic gorgs. It also gives me a much better selection for bulb combinations If I want more growth or more fluorescence, etc. I can pretty much do what I want now.
I would suggest reasearching nems some more. I dont think you 2 bulb fixture is going to cut it depending on the nem.
My tank thead is in this section. (skas 28 macro algae display) Just under this one :)

cathyg_99
07-19-2011, 04:31 PM
i think im just going to stick with the 2 bulb for now, i do have an additional 1 bulb i can slap on if i dont think there will be enough light... i would like a nem but i think it will just have to wait a bit