PDA

View Full Version : Is Marine Reef Tanks a Guy Hobby?

msjboy
07-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Just curious, my wife says salt water reef aquariums is a guy thing; she thinks only guys appreciate its beauty in different eyes just as purses and shoes are pretty to women; she also pointed out my other sub-interest, venus fly traps/carnivorous plants is also a guys thing. You know, looking at all these forums and the people who shop at LFS, I think she is right.... I would say, its 80% guys. Would be nice to do a simple poll here.

msjboy

fishytime
07-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I think there are plenty of reef Girlys....I'm not sure a reef forum will be a direct reflection of the market..... I don't think as many Girlys get as deep into it as guys do(going onto the forums and such) ....but we do see a lot of women in the shop.... I don't think it's a 50/50 split but 20% seems small to me

lastlight
07-12-2011, 06:58 PM
It's a total sausage party here you're right. But the ladeez are pretty vocal so we seem to have some sort of balance in the force.

mark
07-12-2011, 08:03 PM
might be my hobby but only because the wife allows me to play

ScubaSteve
07-12-2011, 08:09 PM
It might be a bit of a guy thing but I know plenty of lady reefers. Oddly enough, though guys dominate the hobby I think women tend to appreciate it more. My girlfriend and other female friends are always completely fascinated by the tank and talk about the corals the same way they would a flower, etc. (oh it's sooooo pretty! OMG, that Pom Pom crab is soooo cute!) A guy on the other hand is more likely to to kinda give the talk a once over, grunt and say "that's cool"'and then walk away.

I think the hobby isn't as one-sided as we think it is, I think the guys just tend to nerd out about it a bit more... It's kinda like a cool version of a comic book convention.

lastlight
07-12-2011, 08:19 PM
I think women tend to appreciate it more

My wife will be on the couch and ask me what I've been staring at for the last 30 minutes as I keep moving around the 3 viewable sides with my nose pressed to the glass. I never use any flowery language tho lol.

Carmen
07-12-2011, 08:32 PM
I would say it is mostly men but I am very much a reef girl! With no help or support from my husband, I appreciate every aspect of the reef tank not just the "pretty corals" or "oh look it's nemo!" :wink:
So we may be fewer in numbers, but us girls can take on the hobby of reef keeping with the best of you guys!
:wink::biggrin:

Skimmerking
07-12-2011, 09:21 PM
It's a total sausage party here you're right. But the ladeez are pretty vocal so we seem to have some sort of balance in the force.

HOMO COUGH COUGH !!!!!!!!!

Hey Brett what time are you coming over tonight grunt grunt:lol:

jorjef
07-12-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm trying to get across to my 18 year old son that Salt tanks are "chick magnets" When he has freinds over all the girls flock over to the tank for a short tutorial by yours truely and the guys are left scratching their heads saying "it's just a fish tank".. They just don't get it lol. A guy hobby for sure but the female side does appreciate it. At least the ones that don't have to compete with the tank for their husbands/boy freinds time... that does see to cause "issues" now and again lol

cathyg_99
07-12-2011, 10:22 PM
i think theres some girls in it.... my husband has nothing to do with the tank other than when i ask him to reach something for me (usually when i drop a frag to the bottom, i have to crawl into my tank to get at the bottom)

lastlight
07-12-2011, 10:25 PM
HOMO COUGH COUGH !!!!!!!!!

Hey Brett what time are you coming over tonight grunt grunt:lol:

Yeah we need more women here. :neutral:

lastlight
07-12-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm trying to get across to my 18 year old son that Salt tanks are "chick magnets" When he has freinds over all the girls flock over to the tank for a short tutorial by yours truely and the guys are left scratching their heads saying "it's just a fish tank".. They just don't get it lol. A guy hobby for sure but the female side does appreciate it. At least the ones that don't have to compete with the tank for their husbands/boy freinds time... that does see to cause "issues" now and again lol

Just don't show'em your 'sweet lips' and your wife should be ok.

jorjef
07-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Just don't show'em your 'sweet lips' and your wife should be ok.

Ya she doesn't see the humour when I ask her "should I get a snapper for the tank?"

kien
07-13-2011, 01:10 AM
The other day my wife acused me and another reefer of acting very girly when we talked reef :lol: I think it mostly had something to do with how Brett kept going on about his bulb colours like girls talk about shoes :-/

Madreefer
07-13-2011, 01:48 AM
I think the hobby isn't as one-sided as we think it is, I think the guys just tend to nerd out about it a bit more... It's kinda like a cool version of a comic book convention.

Well put. I agree