PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with your LED's???

doch
06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Well boys and girls, I'm in a dilemma. I'm going to be swapping tanks from my current 55 over to my new shiny 160. Super excited! Anyways... I bought 10 bulbs worth of t5 fixture, and am now having second thoughts. Essentially, I didn't do enough research about LED's prior to buying my t5's. Now that I've had a little extra time, and ran across a few articles and sites regarding DIY LED setups... I'm kicking myself.

So... here's the question for those of you that are running LED's on an SPS setup... are you happy with them, and would you do it again? Also, what did you switch from... T5, or MH?

If you could, pleas include a little info on your switch and set up.

Thanks!

parkinsn
06-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Tagging along. Also to add to the OP's questions can you please post brand of LED either DIY or store bought that you are using. Along with tank specs.

amoreira
06-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I switched from 3x250W MH + 4x80W T5HO on a standard 180 gal tank (6x2x2). The unit I switched to is a Aquaillumination SuperBlue Unit with 6x75W fixtures. My corals love it. My algae problems have reduced. I like the rampability of the lights and the reduction in waste heat. I don't have to cool the tank with fans most of the year.

Pirates_Gold
06-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Switched to 3x400W SE MH to 6xAquaIllumination LED Modules and totally impressed with Natural shimmer, Lightning storms, Built-in controller (for intensity, timers, moon phases, etc.). Was also able to remove my inline chiller....so NO Heat issues. The coral response was fantastic too. I purchased these LED's from The Reef Shoppe.

Skimmerking
06-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Switched to 3x400W SE MH to 6xAquaIllumination LED Modules and totally impressed with Natural shimmer, Lightning storms, Built-in controller (for intensity, timers, moon phases, etc.). Was also able to remove my inline chiller....so NO Heat issues. The coral response was fantastic too. I purchased these LED's from The Reef Shoppe.

Dude how much light does this put out?
What size tank are you lighting now?
On a 96 " tank how many LED's units would I need?
I have all LPS and 3 huge clams squamosa's and 3 SPS at the top of the rock work.

Pirates_Gold
06-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Dude how much light does this put out?
What size tank are you lighting now?
On a 96 " tank how many LED's units would I need?
I have all LPS and 3 huge clams squamosa's and 3 SPS at the top of the rock work.

That depends on the depth fo your tank and width of your tank, however, lighting requirements also depend on coral and clam placement. If your tank is only 24" wide, I would suggest 8 of the AquaIllumination LED Modules. I have seen the 30" and 36" wide tanks where 2xmodules are required for ample light coverage. Mine is 30" deep and still getting excellent par values at that depth. The tank is SPS dominated, but do have Clam and Carpet Anemone in the sand bed. All are doing fantastic for 1.5 years now. :wink:

gobytron
06-28-2011, 07:26 PM
even if there are some regrets, you're unlikely to find too may people willing to admit to a 2000 dollar mistake...

Skimmerking
06-28-2011, 08:09 PM
BINGO

Skimmerking
06-28-2011, 08:10 PM
That depends on the depth fo your tank and width of your tank, however, lighting requirements also depend on coral and clam placement. If your tank is only 24" wide, I would suggest 8 of the AquaIllumination LED Modules. I have seen the 30" and 36" wide tanks where 2xmodules are required for ample light coverage. Mine is 30" deep and still getting excellent par values at that depth. The tank is SPS dominated, but do have Clam and Carpet Anemone in the sand bed. All are doing fantastic for 1.5 years now. :wink:

My tank is 96x24x24 how ever i have3 a light mover that i can use so on my tank now I'm using 3 x250's on a 96 " tank.

doch
06-28-2011, 08:53 PM
even if there are some regrets, you're unlikely to find too may people willing to admit to a 2000 dollar mistake...

Never thought of that. hahaha. Hey, it's an anonymous poll... somebody could admit it, but nobody would know it!

abcha0s
06-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I admit to being skeptical when I invested in LED, but let the great debate be over. LEDs are completely and totally ready for full blown SPS systems. My corals have grown more in the past 60 days under LED then they did in 6 months under 250W MHs. The colours are great, the polyp extension is great, the overall health of the system is great.

Now, I confess that I am also supplementing Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium in a much more controlled fashion that I previously was. This is undoubtedly why I am seeing the increased growth, but it still proves that LEDs can and do grow-out beautiful coral.

I completely love the sunrise, sunset and moon effects. It really adds value to my viewing time. The fish are well aware of the light cycle and will act differently depending on the time of day. The dusk cycle inevitably triggers the mating instincts in a number of my fish. The energy in the tank at dusk is incredible.

For what it’s worth, I have zero regrets. None what-so-ever. These lights were one of the best purchases that I have made for my tank.

I have the 6’ Vertex Illumina 260 on a 300G tank (6’ x 3’ - 27" deep) open top.

ensquire
06-28-2011, 11:23 PM
On a 42"H x 18"W x 22"D tank, would I need two of the AquaIllumination LED Modules or would one do the trick ?

Pirates_Gold
06-29-2011, 12:05 AM

Perhaps, but then you would expect to see them being sold off too...and I don't see too many used LED fixtures for sale.

Pirates_Gold
06-29-2011, 12:17 AM
On a 42"H x 18"W x 22"D tank, would I need two of the AquaIllumination LED Modules or would one do the trick ?

Hey Mike, I am no expert and do not know what you are wanting to keep. PAR readings with one of the 72W modules to a 42" depth should be okay for some species, but knowing their specific lighting requirements and placement become key. A pair of these LED modules will definitely be stronger and so allow you to keep more light demanding species. That said...there are other LED fixtures that will provide more light, but will also put a larger dent in your pocket book.

ensquire
06-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Hey Mike, I am no expert and do not know what you are wanting to keep. PAR readings with one of the 72W modules to a 42" depth should be okay for some species, but knowing their specific lighting requirements and placement become key. A pair of these LED modules will definitely be stronger and so allow you to keep more light demanding species. That said...there are other LED fixtures that will provide more light, but will also put a larger dent in your pocket book.

To start, the tank will have some LPS, fish and anenomes. But if I'm going to invest in anything in the lighting department beyond my 6 Bulb T5 fixture I may as well work under the assumption that SPS will be involved down the road. Currently my lighting will hang 4" above the tank in a canopy.

mark
06-29-2011, 12:40 AM
good idea for a poll

phi delt reefer
06-29-2011, 01:01 AM
I admit to being skeptical when I invested in LED, but let the great debate be over. LEDs are completely and totally ready for full blown SPS systems. My corals have grown more in the past 60 days under LED then they did in 6 months under 250W MHs. The colours are great, the polyp extension is great, the overall health of the system is great.

Now, I confess that I am also supplementing Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium in a much more controlled fashion that I previously was. This is undoubtedly why I am seeing the increased growth, but it still proves that LEDs can and do grow-out beautiful coral.

I completely love the sunrise, sunset and moon effects. It really adds value to my viewing time. The fish are well aware of the light cycle and will act differently depending on the time of day. The dusk cycle inevitably triggers the mating instincts in a number of my fish. The energy in the tank at dusk is incredible.

For what it’s worth, I have zero regrets. None what-so-ever. These lights were one of the best purchases that I have made for my tank.

I have the 6’ Vertex Illumina 260 on a 300G tank (6’ x 3’ - 27" deep) open top.

what happened to the ReefTech units? I thought i saw them on your site last week as well but it looks like the product line was changed up.

how far from the centre of the light are you keeping SPS?

Pirates_Gold
06-29-2011, 02:18 AM
To start, the tank will have some LPS, fish and anenomes. But if I'm going to invest in anything in the lighting department beyond my 6 Bulb T5 fixture I may as well work under the assumption that SPS will be involved down the road. Currently my lighting will hang 4" above the tank in a canopy.

Remember that the AquaIllumination LED's are modular. Just my opinion, but if I was in your shoes...I would purchase make an initial purchase of a single LED module, controller and 22" rails. Then run it for a while. If you want more punch later, just order another single module, slide it on the rails and daisy chain them together. I forgot to mention that is another cool feature of theirs....expandable and as my budget can afford them. :wink:

abcha0s
06-29-2011, 02:45 AM
what happened to the ReefTech units? I thought i saw them on your site last week as well but it looks like the product line was changed up.

Yes - We had been working hard to secure a deal with ReefTech for the Canadian Distribution. Unfortunately, we recently decided to pull the line. While the technology looks promising, we had a conflict of interest that ultimately could not be resolved. For anyone interested in purchasing these lights, I would encourage you to contact ReefTech directly. At this time, we have no association with ReefTech.

- Brad

abcha0s
06-29-2011, 02:49 AM

Sorry - I forgot to mention.

My Vertex light is roughly centered above the tank. As the tank is 36 inches from front to back, this leaves about 17 inches on both sides of the light strip.

I have a Red Planet at the bottom of the tank about 6 inches from the front pane of glass. That puts it about 11 inches in front of the light strip. It is probably about 20 inches below the surface of the water. The coral is growing well.

- Brad

ensquire
06-29-2011, 03:47 AM
Thanks, do you run them on a controller or do you use the onboard auto system ?

Remember that the AquaIllumination LED's are modular. Just my opinion, but if I was in your shoes...I would purchase make an initial purchase of a single LED module, controller and 22" rails. Then run it for a while. If you want more punch later, just order another single module, slide it on the rails and daisy chain them together. I forgot to mention that is another cool feature of theirs....expandable and as my budget can afford them. :wink:

Pirates_Gold
06-29-2011, 03:56 AM
Thanks, do you run them on a controller or do you use the onboard auto system ?

You can use the Profilux controller (and I have one on my other system), but I just use the Aquaillumination controller for my LED lights. There is a USB port for online controller software upgrades. I do not like to hijack other threads so please message me if you have more questions. Thanks :wink:

doch
06-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Well, it certainly appears that most of the replies are in favour of the switch. There are however 3 people that have replied as unhappy... if by chance you're reading this, I'd sure appreciate a little insight as to why you're unhappy, and what kind of a fixture you're using.

Thanks for the input everybody!

Oh... and thanks for making me feel like I made a mistake!! lol Good thing money grows on trees! (anybody know where I can find the money forest?)

nc208082
06-29-2011, 04:59 AM
If your looking for a great light. Check out orphek. The pr156 is an awesome light. I think orphek is about the best you can do led wise at the moment because they seem to be the only company producing diodes specifically designed for aquarium use. Sure the ai has tons of Cree LEDs but most of the white spectrums pur is wasted but not being optimum for coral growth.
Just my 2 cents.

msjboy
06-29-2011, 07:52 AM
I also see http://orphek.com/wordpress/new-product-t5t8-led-tubes/ by orphek is pretty cool for those who invested in t5 canopies. Also, The newest orphek lites just came out this couple months can also use cheap ikea lights they say. They also have a uv with the bku and white LEDs. Besides marine depot.com, whwere can one buy it readily in canada.?
Msjboy

sphelps
06-29-2011, 01:02 PM
This poll is too early, the majority of current LED owners have only been using them for less than a year. LEDs work, the par numbers and data are plenty proof of that but the question is (and has been) how will they serve you 5+ years from now. These fixtures have to last many years without any problem in order for the payback to work out. Plus imagine what will be available for lighting 5 years from now, will people still be happy with their LED fixtures then? Will they still be happy with only blue and white color options? Will all these newer companies continue to provide upgrades to those special fixtures and how much will they cost? Will people miss the effect from the new bulb changes, you know that new bulb smell?

I'm much more comfortable with LEDs now than I was before but you're still dealing with new technology (new to the application) that is advancing at a rate not ever seen previosuly with reef lighting. What was good last year isn't anymore and as new technology advances the previous models become obsolete.

Also consider resale, LED fixtures probably have the worst return compared to other fixtures so if you want to upgrade a few years down the road don't count on your current LED fixture helping you out.

As for the effect of LEDs, personally I think MH and T5 tanks offer better color and overall effect depending on what you're looking for. LEDs offer that controllability but at steady state I don't consider them king but this is personal preference.

nc208082
06-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Your not quite right on your led rant sorry. Mh and t5's and pc the best method of comparison is par. But for LEDs the best measurement of their effectiveness is pur.
Mh and t5 only have the blue an white look. LEDs have numerous color combinations blue, royal blue, white , red, violet, ultraviolet to just name a few. LEDs are replacing hid lighting in the rest of worlds application so its safe to assume they will be here for a while. They run a lot more efficient than halides an cooler.

Long term resale is not something most companies are looking for. Because they designed their units to be able to be upgraded that is why they are modular. You don't have to buy bulbs every eight months but you will have the option to swap put for better diodes.

Mh are awesome for coral growth but LEDs are now showing to be as effective. And have more of an ability to make your colors pop. The long term data isn't there yet. But it will be after the short term results we have seen.

sphelps
06-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Your not quite right on your led rant sorry. Mh and t5's and pc the best method of comparison is par. But for LEDs the best measurement of their effectiveness is pur.
Mh and t5 only have the blue an white look. LEDs have numerous color combinations blue, royal blue, white , red, violet, ultraviolet to just name a few. LEDs are replacing hid lighting in the rest of worlds application so its safe to assume they will be here for a while. They run a lot more efficient than halides an cooler.

Long term resale is not something most companies are looking for. Because they designed their units to be able to be upgraded that is why they are modular. You don't have to buy bulbs every eight months but you will have the option to swap put for better diodes.

Mh are awesome for coral growth but LEDs are now showing to be as effective. And have more of an ability to make your colors pop. The long term data isn't there yet. But it will be after the short term results we have seen.
This is all mostly true but has nothing to do with my previous comments. To contradict MH and T5s have more options than blue and white and LED fixtures that are available today for the most part only offer blue and white, yes other colors are available but are they used in fixtures?. Resale is not usually the concern of the manufacturer but it is something a customer should consider. And yes like I mentioned many fixtures are now upgradeable but how much will this cost and when buying a fixture with a premium price for the intention of it lasting many years how financially feasible is it to spend additional money on such a fixture well before it's lifespan?

As it stands LEDs cost more money but have a good potential of saving you time and money down the road and of course offer other advantages relating to heat and controllability. But you still have to consider if this will pay off for the individual. First you should plan on keeping the fixture long enough for it to pay off. Then you need to weigh whether you need/want that controllability as many actually don't. As for heat this can vary as well, people with T5s don't typically have issues and if they do it's a result from a combination of equipment and environment, using LEDs may not solve the problem completely.

As for color saying LEDs is better is providing false information. This completely depends on the individual and like I said is personal preference. I personally like the single light source effect from halides for a more natural look. Also T5s IMO offer better color distribution and the actinic effect available just doesn't compare to what's available in today's LED fixtures.

One needs to consider more than efficiency alone, doesn't matter if you compare PAR or PUR you're still talking about efficiency and there are many debates regarding which is the better measurement. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-LED I'm actually currently building a custom LED fixture but it's important to consider everything and remember LEDs may not be for everyone. This is not a rant, simply providing information to consider.

doch
06-29-2011, 03:54 PM
sphelps - I agree with you to some extent in regards to the timing of this poll. Unfortunately, I'm in the market today, not 4 years from now, hahaha! I'm looking specifically for info in regards to coral growth and coloration... essentially, I want to know if these fixtures are worth it.

Since I can't afford to buy an AI, or vertex fixture (read: my wife would castrate me)... one new question for those of you who have built a DIY fixture... can you still get the lightning storm effects and things like that? Can you run them off of your controller (I have an RKE)? I really like the idea of the sunrise, sunset, cloudy day, and lightning storm effects. If I can't do this, I may end up waiting until the prices come down.

sphelps
06-29-2011, 04:05 PM
sphelps - I agree with you to some extent in regards to the timing of this poll. Unfortunately, I'm in the market today, not 4 years from now, hahaha! I'm looking specifically for info in regards to coral growth and coloration... essentially, I want to know if these fixtures are worth it.

Since I can't afford to buy an AI, or vertex fixture (read: my wife would castrate me)... one new question for those of you who have built a DIY fixture... can you still get the lightning storm effects and things like that? Can you run them off of your controller (I have an RKE)? I really like the idea of the sunrise, sunset, cloudy day, and lightning storm effects. If I can't do this, I may end up waiting until the prices come down.

Yes you absolutely can still take advantage of the features of external controllers with a DIY build, if anything it opens more options. If you're thinking of using a profilux you can get a PWM modual from them which can link up to 4 different sets of drivers to open up the full control you're looking for. However there may be a little more expereince needed as I believe some drivers such as meanwell do not have an open drain PWM input and will require the addition of a pull up resistor. This isn't hard to do but again something to be aware of as it's not aways a simple plug and play DIY project.

parkinsn
06-29-2011, 04:16 PM
To contradict MH and T5s have more options than blue and white and LED fixtures that are available today for the most part only offer blue and white, yes other colors are available but are they used in fixtures?.

Have you seen the Sfiligoi Genisis? They are using other colors in the same diode. The colors can be seen on the thread below. Now it doesnt look like you can run all the colors at the same time, however with a custom/modular light im sure you can.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1849626

As for cost saving to the owner, I had 6 54w T5HO's and 2 250w SE MH's replaceing bulbs twice a year is roughly $500 or more in 1 year. I assume that most people will keep their light for 3 years. A $2200 LED Vertex replacement for the light above, over 3 years will be paid off with approx. $1500 in lamps in 3 years + the energy saved. Not to mention that ballasts will start to fail in 3 or more years.

I have seen many tanks running LED on RC and other sites that are now pushing 3+ years with good SPS growth. No, they are not 5 years in like you say. I feel that there are enough case studys out there if you look for them to prove that LED is a viable solution. It still remains to see what fixtures will stick around as there is new ones every month. But there are a few names out there that have lasted a few years already.

sphelps
06-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Yeap seen them and the price tag to match makes them out of the average budget. Like I said for the MOST part fixtures don't offer such options.

Also lets not get into specific examples of return as this will vary greatly for each idividual and therefore should be left up to them to decide if it's worth while. They certainly do have pay back periods but it will vary and the individual needs to decide if it will pay off or not, this was my only point but as an average I would say 5 years is fair.

Also I don't doubt the LED fixtures will last but my comments were more based on if people would still be happy with the purchase after several years as aspose to several months.

As for ballasts failing after 3 years, that's total BS and you know it.

parkinsn
06-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Yeap seen them and the price tag to match makes them out of the average budget. Like I said for the MOST part fixtures don't offer such options.

Also lets not get into specific examples of return as this will vary greatly for each idividual and therefore should be left up to them to decide if it's worth while. They certainly do have pay back periods but it will vary and the individual needs to decide if it will pay off or not, this was my only point but as an average I would say 5 years is fair.

Also I don't doubt the LED fixtures will last but my comments were more based on if people would still be happy with the purchase after several years as aspose to several months.

As for ballasts failing after 3 years, that's total BS and you know it.

I dont think that the genisis is that out to lunch. All dependent on your application and budget of course. When you look at this model it is far less than the equvelant all in one or pendant.

http://www.aquaticselite.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GE-LED-348

Or look at the Pacific Sun, more than likely your going to need a master and a slave to get the proper coverage and par on your tank. Depending on depth you may have to step up to the next wattage of these pendants.(based on a 48" tank)

http://www.conceptaquatics.ca/index.php/aquarium-hardware/lighting/fixtures/ps-black-python-led-lamp-110w-crp-master.html

Absolutly It will be up to the consumer to justify the upfront cost and if it will work for them or not. Is anyone really happy with their fixture in 5 years? Seeing all the technology change so rapidly from T12 to MH to T5 to LED, dont discount plasma as well, its hard to keep up. There will always be something newer and better that you will want to have.

Im not here to argue your point, I see what your saying. I'm on the fence still with LED. I would like to look in my crystal ball and see how they work and customer satisfaction in 5 years, but its broken right now. However that was not the point of this thread. Are you happy with your current store bought or DIY LED or not? I would like to hear on this thread or in PM from the few people that voted unhappy, as to why they are unhappy fixture type, system etc.

(I guess the ballast that I have seen fail were in my dreams... lol but that's not the point here)

lastlight
06-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Scott I'd like to just chime in and say the banged-up old PFO you sold me is still rocking hard lol =)

I'm also still on the fence with LED. I enjoy the thread as I enjoy the other 10 new threads that are started daily. It should be noted that LED thread generation still lags new LED company generation. It's the gold rush!

sphelps
06-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Kind of my point regarding people not being happy in general with equipment after so many years with new and better stuff always coming out. Since LEDs in general require you to keep them for about 5 years for the efficiency to pay off and the fact this specific technology continues to advance more rapidly than anything else it's something you really need to consider. It's also why I mentioned resale as continuously upgrading LED fixtures will not likely pay off financially.

As for the price of the fixture we discussed it is certainly cheaper than I expected as when they came out I recall pricing one out for around $4K. The price you linked is much more reasonable at $1600 however this is only a 120W fixture which I don't believe is ideal for sps in a 48" tank. The 240W verson is probably a better match for the average reef application which will cost you over $3K with the RGB option. If compared to other fixtures like the vertex in terms of wattage you'll see a bigger premium involved in going this route.

Also didn't mean to suggest products don't fail as pretty much anything can including LEDs. But to suggest ballasts will begin to fail after 3 years isn't accurate.

parkinsn
06-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Scott I'd like to just chime in and say the banged-up old PFO you sold me is still rocking hard lol =)

I'm also still on the fence with LED. I enjoy the thread as I enjoy the other 10 new threads that are started daily. It should be noted that LED thread generation still lags new LED company generation. It's the gold rush!

I will show you banged up!! :lol: That thing is the exception, its built like a tank.

gobytron
06-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Never thought of that. hahaha. Hey, it's an anonymous poll... somebody could admit it, but nobody would know it!

yeah...
except for the most important person of all....themselves.:lol:

gobytron
06-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Perhaps, but then you would expect to see them being sold off too...and I don't see too many used LED fixtures for sale.

first off, there arent that many around and in reality, one would need to accept the error of their ways before putting the item up for sale...

even then, could you sell the item to someone else in good conscience?

mark
06-29-2011, 09:46 PM
be nice of those who voted UNHAPPY stated why...

nlreefguy
06-29-2011, 09:52 PM
I switched from 250 MH over my 50 gallon to 36 Cree XP LED's DIY. Totally happy with the looks of it, the dimmability and the flexibility of color combos. It grows my corals like nothing else and is upgradeable if I want. The only thing is that the colors of some of my corals changed when I went from MH to LED. Some for the better, some for the (in my eyes) worse. And when you turn those LED's on, you have to turn them way down because if you don't they'll burn some of your corals. Also, I love the fact that I no longer need to worry about heat and have my controller turning my MH on and off all day due to over-heating. Overall, I'm very happy - my tank has never looked better.

cwatkins
06-29-2011, 09:53 PM

+1. I'm thinking of DIY for a 24" deep 90 gallon. I'd like to hear from the unhappy voters.

Skimmerking
06-29-2011, 11:31 PM
you wont get anyone posting Mark. i bet

Doug
06-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Very happy, so far, with my SWC Extreme led unit over my 20g tank. I,m finally getting some colour and growth from the few sps I have.

naesco
07-03-2011, 01:36 AM
I too would like to hear from the 2 or 3 who posted they were unhappy.

I have had both MH and LED and in my opinion LED is clearly superior.

doch
07-04-2011, 07:21 PM
I too would like to hear from the 2 or 3 who posted they were unhappy.

I have had both MH and LED and in my opinion LED is clearly superior.

+1. Big time.

sphelps
07-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Take the poll for what it's worth guys, no point calling people out. There are many reasons why people might not be happy with LEDs. Could have been a lower grade fixture which didn't perform as expected, could have been a PFO which I don't believe many happy customers still exist, could be a little regret not waiting to buy the newest model, or maybe just maybe some people still prefer MH. Not everyone wants to drive a Prius and you're always going to find some people unhappy with a purchase no matter how strange you might think that is. There are also many reasons why people wouldn't post there experience, one is the risk of being harassed by the new followers of LED religion, I mean you're already calling them out for posting on an anonymous poll.....

reefwars
07-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Take the poll for what it's worth guys, no point calling people out. There are many reasons why people might not be happy with LEDs. Could have been a lower grade fixture which didn't perform as expected, could have been a PFO which I don't believe many happy customers still exist, could be a little regret not waiting to buy the newest model, or maybe just maybe some people still prefer MH. Not everyone wants to drive a Prius and you're always going to find some people unhappy with a purchase no matter how strange you might think that is. There are also many reasons why people wouldn't post there experience, one is the risk of being harassed by the new followers of LED religion, I mean you're already calling them out for posting on an anonymous poll.....

ummmm what sphelps said lol i think you all scared them away lol fact of the matter is not a product in the world that every single person is going to be happy with regardless of how many that are:) and im sure everyone has their own reasons:)

naesco
07-04-2011, 08:50 PM

It is not a matter of 'calling people out' or harrassing them. I am simply interested in the reasons and it could be for one of the reasons you stated.

The original poster wanted to hear from those who were unhappy as well. If they choose not to post their reasons that is fine with me.

aquajeep
07-04-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm sticking with halides till the prices come down more. My corals do great but there's always the heat problem will switch in a few years for sure. My mom upgraded to an 800$ led unit on her cube tank and its amazing. Of corse the diff was huge as she had compacts on it b4.

Delphinus
07-04-2011, 09:25 PM
I'd actually love to consider a move to LED. When I look at the options though .. and I'll give this thread as a perfect example, someone early on mentioned a unit over their size tank that is similar in size to mine - and for the briefest of instants I toyed with the fantasy of switching - so over to the vendor mentioned, find the unit listed and .... oh wow 4 grand, ok, this fantasy is over. To use the Prius metaphor .. that's like buying a Prius but paying the price of a Porsche GT4. Unless I'm overlooking something it feels to me there's a HUGE disconnect between investment and return. To me the question isn't about whether LED's can "work" or not, that's immaterial. They work well enough, I believe that without question. The problem to me is the enormous cost burden up front. With my current setup I probably spent less than $500 to get it set up but I can mix and match as time goes on or add another T5 here or a spotlight LED there .. I can buy a LOT of replacement lamps and pay the difference in electricity for many many many MANY years before I hit 4 grand. I'd love to make the plunge but until I get a huge pile of money to burn it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. :(

doch
07-04-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm definetly not 'calling anyone out' as you say. To me however, the purpose of this community is to share info. If that info is how to keep an animal or coral, perfect. In this case, I along with several others, am wondering about a new technology, and people's experiences with it. If it were me, I would share with you guys. If I had purchased an inferior LED fixture, I would let you guys know that it would potentially work for softies, but not for SPS. If it broke soon after purchase, I'd warn you guys.

Unless I miss my guess, most of the 'unhappy' section likely purchased a low end unit that did not work out for their tank, and their plans for their tank. If I remember correctly, there are 3 people that are unhappy with their LED, and it is their first tank, and first light. I assume that they made an uneducated decision and it didn't work out for them. We've all done it... at least I have.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice to hear from them. No big deal... ALL of the people that have written down info are in the positive column. This leads me to believe that LED's are scoring well.

That said, I'm not 100% convinced, and as said, the prices for the factory units are still very high IMO. That being the case, (and since I've already purchased my T5's) I'll be sticking with my T5's on the display, and likely purchase a cheap ebay fixture like Dez has. That fixture will go on my frag tank where I can gauge the technology and decide if I want to make the switch in the future.

To all who have shared info, I appreciate it! I feel like this poll will help many in the near future. Hopefully it doesn't get burried too deep.

naesco
07-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Tony, Doch.

What are the dimentions of your tank?

In the meantime, take a look at www.fish-street.com under LED lighting. I have the Key model.

Wayne

lastlight
07-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I really identify with what you're saying Tony.

The costs of going LED on larger tanks is unreal. I had previously collected used mh parts as they showed up and need a reflector or two for the new tank and voila... lighting is handled. I can replace bulbs and pay the electric for many years before the costs outweigh what an LED setup may cost me.

I certainly want to try LED more all the time but I highly doubt it's going to happen.

nc208082
07-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Sphelps is right. About the insane price point. That is an obvious problem for some. But when comparing the two I find no one is throwing in the price of a decent halide fixture.

That plus bulb changes and double my hydro bill also comes to around 3-4 thousand. Over next 5 years. Same time frame of Mh usage before I'd upgrade fixture.

The led is not more powerful or better for growing corals. But it is something that is more efficient and removes the need for a chiller and fans.

Delphinus
07-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi Wayne, my tank is 72x30x30. Looking at a single unit for that tank, I see two comparable options:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-ldss1800/Vertex+Illumina+260+LED+Lighting+Fixture+%2872+Inc h%29.html (almost $5k :( )

http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_90_153&products_id=862&zenid=a816e2d59401be12024b84f6d9596c71 ($4k)

If I look at the Key model you mention, the largest unit I see is 78cm x 27cm at $630ish. I'm not sure what kind of coverage you get off that, in the worst case scenario though I could fit 4 of those over top of my tank and $600*4 = $2400, still a pretty respectable purchase price.

I was looking at these Orphek units that fit inside a T5/T8 socket and they look pretty neat but even then it looks like something like $160 per unit (I assume they mean one T5 replacement). I assume that it's fair to expect 5 to 10 times the longevity out of one of these over one T5 lamp so maybe that's fair but then you lose the ability to "mortgage" that part of the tank expenses over time.

I have very little doubt that with most units available today, that most people don't "regret" the jump to LED, per se. I doubt I'd regret buying a Porsche one day, although that doesn't mean I can afford to get into one. Life's funny that way.

naesco
07-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Hi Wayne, my tank is 72x30x30. Looking at a single unit for that tank, I see two comparable options:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-ldss1800/Vertex+Illumina+260+LED+Lighting+Fixture+%2872+Inc h%29.html (almost $5k :( )

http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_90_153&products_id=862&zenid=a816e2d59401be12024b84f6d9596c71 ($4k)

If I look at the Key model you mention, the largest unit I see is 78cm x 27cm at $630ish. I'm not sure what kind of coverage you get off that, in the worst case scenario though I could fit 4 of those over top of my tank and $600*4 = $2400, still a pretty respectable purchase price.

I was looking at these Orphek units that fit inside a T5/T8 socket and they look pretty neat but even then it looks like something like $160 per unit (I assume they mean one T5 replacement). I assume that it's fair to expect 5 to 10 times the longevity out of one of these over one T5 lamp so maybe that's fair but then you lose the ability to "mortgage" that part of the tank expenses over time.

I have very little doubt that with most units available today, that most people don't "regret" the jump to LED, per se. I doubt I'd regret buying a Porsche one day, although that doesn't mean I can afford to get into one. Life's funny that way.

My son's tank is 6' by 4'. He bought 2 eco exotic Cannon LED 'pendants' for just under $600.00 each from Ocean Aquatics. His tank looks spectacular. He sent Ocean a picture that they are using. I guess a techy can let you know the difference between the two you are looking at at J&L
http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led-lights/cannon-pendants/cannon-led-pendants.html

intarsiabox
07-05-2011, 01:05 AM
My son's tank is 6' by 4'. He bought 2 eco exotic Cannon LED 'pendants' for just under $600.00 each from Ocean Aquatics. His tank looks spectacular. He sent Ocean a picture that they are using. I guess a techy can let you know the difference between the two you are looking at at J&L
http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led-lights/cannon-pendants/cannon-led-pendants.html

I didn't see the Cannon's on Ocean Aquatics website but looked up Eco Exotics website and it doesn't give a lot of detail. What kind of spread does a single unit cover and how high does it have to be mounted to get any descent coverage? It looks like one spot light covers a 3'x4' area on your son's tank, is it an SPS tank with only 2 units? It also looks like you can only get one color in each unit is this right also? Thanks!

doch
07-05-2011, 02:20 AM
See, if I did end up going LED, there's no question in my mind that I'd go DIY. From the builds that I've seen, it doesn't look like it would be all that hard. The only thing that I'm not sure if you can do with a DIY LED set up is the lightning flashes. Do I need it? No. Would it be cool to have? Likely. Also, may very well be a novelty that would get anoying after a while. For my tank (48*30*26), I priced it out in the realm of $1200-$1700, depending on what extent I would go to (I tend to go overkill). If I hadn't already bought the t5's my decision would likely leave me with about a 100 LED DIY set up. I already bought the t5's... I think I'll stick with them. For now. Come time to do a bulb swap on my 6*36" t5 (current light, soon to be temporary frag tank light), I'm going to sell it, and build a 48 LED set up for the frag tank. At that time, whether I like the LED's or not, I will certainly let you all know.

intarsiabox
07-05-2011, 02:28 AM
See, if I did end up going LED, there's no question in my mind that I'd go DIY. From the builds that I've seen, it doesn't look like it would be all that hard. The only thing that I'm not sure if you can do with a DIY LED set up is the lightning flashes. Do I need it? No. Would it be cool to have? Likely. Also, may very well be a novelty that would get anoying after a while. For my tank (48*30*26), I priced it out in the realm of $1200-$1700, depending on what extent I would go to (I tend to go overkill). If I hadn't already bought the t5's my decision would likely leave me with about a 100 LED DIY set up. I already bought the t5's... I think I'll stick with them. For now. Come time to do a bulb swap on my 6*36" t5 (current light, soon to be temporary frag tank light), I'm going to sell it, and build a 48 LED set up for the frag tank. At that time, whether I like the LED's or not, I will certainly let you all know.

Just wait until halloween, they always have flashing LED stuff to simulate lightening and other effects. You could easily rig it up to your tank see what it looks like. And after you've had your fun and relized that it's more of a novilty it's only a few bucks down the sump and that DIY LED fixture will look even more appealing.

naesco
07-05-2011, 02:55 AM
I didn't see the Cannon's on Ocean Aquatics website but looked up Eco Exotics website and it doesn't give a lot of detail. What kind of spread does a single unit cover and how high does it have to be mounted to get any descent coverage? It looks like one spot light covers a 3'x4' area on your son's tank, is it an SPS tank with only 2 units? It also looks like you can only get one color in each unit is this right also? Thanks!

It is a brand new tank but he will be adding SPS a bit later on when the tank matures.
I do not have a light meter but the two units had complete coverage over the whole of the tank. In order to achieve this the pendants hang 12inches above the water line. As he likes the fluorescence the LED provides, he chose blue.
I can't comment on the technical aspects or compare this lighting to other LED lighting from a technical point of view but his tank looks great.
He chose the blue because he likes to observe them fluoresce.

A three foot tank would require one pendant at a $600.00 cost which is comparable to a MH system without the added heat and high maintenace cost.
IMO, one unit would leave the edges dimmer on a 4 foot tank.

If a reefer is starting up a new tank I could not in good conscience recommend MH.

For a reefer who has MH they may decide to wait a little longer to replace their lighting. The price of LEDs will go down a bit, there will be more selection and improvements will be made.

intarsiabox
07-05-2011, 03:03 AM
It is a brand new tank but he will be adding SPS a bit later on when the tank matures.
I do not have a light meter but the two units had complete coverage over the whole of the tank. In order to achieve this the pendants hang 12inches above the water line. As he likes the fluorescence the LED provides, he chose blue.
I can't comment on the technical aspects or compare this lighting to other LED lighting from a technical point of view but his tank looks great.
He chose the blue because he likes to observe them fluoresce.

A three foot tank would require one pendant at a $600.00 cost which is comparable to a MH system without the added heat and high maintenace cost.
IMO, one unit would leave the edges dimmer on a 4 foot tank.

If a reefer is starting up a new tank I could not in good conscience recommend MH.

For a reefer who has MH they may decide to wait a little longer to replace their lighting. The price of LEDs will go down a bit, there will be more selection and improvements will be made.

That's pretty amazing that only 2 of those Cannons could lighta tank that size at only 12" above the water. The picture of the units make them look like they would only produce a very focused beam of light. Thanks for the info!

Delphinus
07-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Wayne his tank is 4' tall ? Wow.

When you get a chance please post some pictures, I'd love to see those. I did see those Cannons when they first came out and thought that might be a good way to get into LED's but unfortunately even at $600 versus money already spent for the existing halides it will still be a while before I pull the trigger on the switch over but I'd still love to see them in action besides just the usual promotional stuff out there. Thanks!

naesco
07-05-2011, 05:19 AM
Wayne his tank is 4' tall ? Wow.

When you get a chance please post some pictures, I'd love to see those. I did see those Cannons when they first came out and thought that might be a good way to get into LED's but unfortunately even at $600 versus money already spent for the existing halides it will still be a while before I pull the trigger on the switch over but I'd still love to see them in action besides just the usual promotional stuff out there. Thanks!

No, it is six feet long and four feet wide. I will try to get him to post a pic here.

phi delt reefer
07-05-2011, 11:27 AM
orphek and Kriesel (sp?) make multi chip LED cannon that uses a mix of different colors vs. the Ecoxotic solution which uses one color. Meant to be a halide replacement (ie. strong point source light).

keep an eye out on Dave Fason of Nano Box. He's a hobbyiest doing some CRAZY custom stuff with LEDs that he's trying to bring into the mainstream market.

http://nano-box-reef.com/blog/?category_name=nanoboxnews

the NANO Pulsar looks pretty awesome and might be something you big tank folk may want to consider vs. a $5000 fixture. He's got a pretty sweet controller (Ryujin)designed for the system as well.

RuGlu6
07-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Have you seen the Sfiligoi Genisis? They are using other colors in the same diode. The colors can be seen on the thread below. Now it doesnt look like you can run all the colors at the same time, however with a custom/modular light im sure you can.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1849626

As for cost saving to the owner, I had 6 54w T5HO's and 2 250w SE MH's replaceing bulbs twice a year is roughly $500 or more in 1 year. I assume that most people will keep their light for 3 years. A $2200 LED Vertex replacement for the light above, over 3 years will be paid off with approx. $1500 in lamps in 3 years + the energy saved. Not to mention that ballasts will start to fail in 3 or more years.

I have seen many tanks running LED on RC and other sites that are now pushing 3+ years with good SPS growth. No, they are not 5 years in like you say. I feel that there are enough case studys out there if you look for them to prove that LED is a viable solution. It still remains to see what fixtures will stick around as there is new ones every month. But there are a few names out there that have lasted a few years already.

I dont see many people replacing MH bulbs twice a year, i see many people replacing MH bulbs every 16-18 month.

sphelps
07-05-2011, 08:06 PM
I dont see many people replacing MH bulbs twice a year, i see many people replacing MH bulbs every 16-18 month.
This really is irrelevant, like I said earlier you can beet this argument to death as everyone has a different example of how much they spend on bulbs and energy and how much they would invest in a new fixture, also have to consider if they are replacing a fixture or setting up 100% as used fixtures can pull in some cash to speed up the return but regardless completely dependent on each person.

parkinsn
07-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Most MH lamps will depriciate 50-60% of lumens by 50% of lamp life (dependant on brand, and yes you will find that the MFR will try to hide that and post better findings). So what one person does for lamp change will be different than another. I changed mine 6-8 months, while you do it 16-18 months, to each their own. If you look at a statement like Aquattro, he will keep his MH for 10 more years. Figure out your lamp replacement and Electric/hydro and figure out if you can pay it off in 10 years. Either you justify it or you dont.

This really is irrelevant, like I said earlier you can beet this argument to death as everyone has a different example of how much they spend on bulbs and energy and how much they would invest in a new fixture, also have to consider if they are replacing a fixture or setting up 100% as used fixtures can pull in some cash to speed up the return but regardless completely dependent on each person.

That is really the bottom line. Each person will justify LED one way or the other. Either you see a pay off or not. Like the look or not etc.

abcha0s
07-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Least we forget that it's worth paying more for a superior solution. It is not necessary to recover costs or break even. Better is simply better.

- Brad

Aquattro
07-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Least we forget that it's worth paying more for a superior solution. It is not necessary to recover costs or break even. Better is simply better.

- Brad

Couldn't agree more. I have no concerns over what I'm going to spend over the next 5 years, for me, it's MH all the way. It's what I like, it works for my setup, I've had great success and I have no reason to change. Better is simply better!

Rice Reef
07-05-2011, 11:28 PM
I am staying with MH at this time as the LED tech is changing so fast and being still relatively new, I am still not totally convinced of it's reliabllity. Everyone says that they are good for 5 years but I do not see the warranty reflecting that. In addition, with the price of LED dropping (especially from things coming out of Asia) I am willing to wait it out.

RuGlu6
07-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Most MH lamps will depriciate 50-60% of lumens by 50% of lamp life (dependant on brand, and yes you will find that the MFR will try to hide that and post better findings).

Would you be so kind to post a reference link to your statement ?
I remember not too long ago there was a discussion on here and some good references just to the contrary. That MH bulbs only loose 20-25% in 12 months.

intarsiabox
07-06-2011, 12:33 AM
If the corals are still just as colorful, growing and no algae problems then I don't see the need to change a bulb at a fixed interval just because somebody says I have to. Every bulbs life is going to be different based on mfg, hour usage, temperature control, brand of fixture they're in, etc. This were I don't agree with LED mfg's using short bulb life of non-led's to help justify their high prices in their marketing schemes showing how much money you will save every year on bulb changes.

regent2009
07-06-2011, 11:03 PM
i have my Maxspect G2-160 (X 2) LED to replace the Coralife 150Wx2 mh + 96Wx2 pc for about 14 months now. no looking back whatsoever. heat,energy bill,chiller not an issue anymore. sps seems growing happy. but i did burnt a lots of them ( too close to the water!) at the beginning 2 months. tank is 72g bf with 21g sump.

phi delt reefer
07-06-2011, 11:13 PM
If the corals are still just as colorful, growing and no algae problems then I don't see the need to change a bulb at a fixed interval just because somebody says I have to. Every bulbs life is going to be different based on mfg, hour usage, temperature control, brand of fixture they're in, etc. This were I don't agree with LED mfg's using short bulb life of non-led's to help justify their high prices in their marketing schemes showing how much money you will save every year on bulb changes.

+1. many of the high end units require a board replacement if an led burns out. Haven't heard the cost to replace one board but I imagines it's HUNDREDS of dollars.

The big thing too is many of us change tanks every few years or quit the hobby.6 + year payback isn't realistic IMO.

nlreefguy
07-07-2011, 12:43 AM
For me, though, I have to say that heat was the biggest problem I had with metal halides. LEDs fixed that problem for me. Now you can say it is poor system design etc, but in the end I kept my system exactly as it is and just replaced MH with LED and no more temp problems.

reefwars
07-07-2011, 03:24 AM
For me, though, I have to say that heat was the biggest problem I had with metal halides. LEDs fixed that problem for me. Now you can say it is poor system design etc, but in the end I kept my system exactly as it is and just replaced MH with LED and no more temp problems.

seeing yours fred opened my eyes to led i must say you have amazing growth and beautiful colour.i also learned a couple things mainly that if your gonna diy do it right the first time :) i hope youll help me with mine when i get them:)

chewie
07-09-2011, 12:22 AM
I know this thread is about aquarium specific LED systems but I just cannot come up with the $ for a complete set up. I am currently running mh on both my systems, have a fan built into canopy on both and have no problem with temp. I am however going try some cheap led strip lights from ikea to compliment my atinics. Going with this one to see how diferent colors look in the tank, maybe as moon lights.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50192365

Will update on my opinion of them once installed

intarsiabox
07-09-2011, 12:59 AM
I think I might buy a cheap LED setup from ebay to try over my nano. I took down my 90g tank due to moving of which I had 2 250W MH's over it. The tank was on the main floor and never got above 80 degrees even during the summer. No fans just open top. Evaporation was only about a gallon a day. I used a Belize Sun fixture that does a really good job of venting the heat. I see a lot of heat complaints using MH and this seems to be the biggest advantage for some over LED's but I think a well designed MH fixture won't add much heat to the tank either in my experience anyway.

Skimmerking
07-09-2011, 01:35 AM
I think I might buy a cheap LED setup from ebay to try over my nano. I took down my 90g tank due to moving of which I had 2 250W MH's over it. The tank was on the main floor and never got above 80 degrees even during the summer. No fans just open top. Evaporation was only about a gallon a day. I used a Belize Sun fixture that does a really good job of venting the heat. I see a lot of heat complaints using MH and this seems to be the biggest advantage for some over LED's but I think a well designed MH fixture won't add much heat to the tank either in my experience anyway.

Ya that is what I am thinking about i have a nano too and thinking what cheap LED would work. I want to grow my Ricordia's in the nano. Thought about those LEd screw in bulbs that you can get from Home depot they are 21w soft white thou.

nlreefguy
07-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Very true, I built mine in stages and it is less than optimal but I'm still happy with it. I sure will help you when you get yours.... no problem. I just love building them and seeing the end result from doing something with your own hands that everyone is happy with.

seeing yours fred opened my eyes to led i must say you have amazing growth and beautiful colour.i also learned a couple things mainly that if your gonna diy do it right the first time :) i hope youll help me with mine when i get them:)

RuGlu6
07-09-2011, 03:52 AM
With new BC hydro Smart Meters people have thier hydro bill almost doubled so i guess when BC Hydro will push these on us we will have to switch to LED LOL.

Now the next question, do the LED fixtures emmit any RF?

The easy way to check is to get an old AM radio, set it in between the stations and then get closer to the LED fixture, if noise geting lauder that means the LED fixture emmits RF. With more RF, EMF and ELF a lot of people are getting sick and have head achkes from these frequencies.
As you know power of the signal is not as important in this aspect as much as the frequency it emmits. If the frequency is just right to vibrate the cells it could be very serious. because our bodyes are electric in nature.

http://www.citizensforsafetechnology.org/BC-Hydros-930-million-dollar-rollout-of-the-smart-meter-starts-Monday--Phone-to-register-for-Delayed-Installation,2,1109
http://www.citizensforsafetechnology.org/Smart-Meters-A-Little-Too-Smart---Personal-Surveillance,2,1123

Skimmerking
07-09-2011, 04:14 AM
Very true, I built mine in stages and it is less than optimal but I'm still happy with it. I sure will help you when you get yours.... no problem. I just love building them and seeing the end result from doing something with your own hands that everyone is happy with.

Fred you should build me one old cocky

nlreefguy
07-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Haha.... now what would a guy in Manitoba know about "old cocky"??? lol But if you were here I'd build you one in an instant, me old trout.

mike31154
07-13-2011, 02:25 AM
With new BC hydro Smart Meters people have thier hydro bill almost doubled so i guess when BC Hydro will push these on us we will have to switch to LED LOL.

Now the next question, do the LED fixtures emmit any RF?

The easy way to check is to get an old AM radio, set it in between the stations and then get closer to the LED fixture, if noise geting lauder that means the LED fixture emmits RF. With more RF, EMF and ELF a lot of people are getting sick and have head achkes from these frequencies.
As you know power of the signal is not as important in this aspect as much as the frequency it emmits. If the frequency is just right to vibrate the cells it could be very serious. because our bodyes are electric in nature.

http://www.citizensforsafetechnology.org/BC-Hydros-930-million-dollar-rollout-of-the-smart-meter-starts-Monday--Phone-to-register-for-Delayed-Installation,2,1109
http://www.citizensforsafetechnology.org/Smart-Meters-A-Little-Too-Smart---Personal-Surveillance,2,1123

LED fixtures & RF emmissions? You can't imagine the stuff that's bombarding us constantly from satellites, radar & all the other hi tech devices we can't seem to do without these days. A 'smart' meter or light fixture are the least of your worries, particularly LED. LEDs are DC voltage (very low voltage I might add) devices which means constant current, no frequency, hence nothing even close to any kind of RF. Your halide & fluorescent fixtures are more likely to produce anything akin to RF, not to mention very high voltage. Are you going to stop using your cell phone? There's definitely some RF emitting from that, it is a transmitter/receiver after all.

RuGlu6
07-14-2011, 05:51 AM
I know this thread is about aquarium specific LED systems but I just cannot come up with the $ for a complete set up. I am currently running mh on both my systems, have a fan built into canopy on both and have no problem with temp. I am however going try some cheap led strip lights from ikea to compliment my atinics. Going with this one to see how diferent colors look in the tank, maybe as moon lights.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50192365

Will update on my opinion of them once installed
Got these lights today from Ikea. only good as a moon light but for $40+tax its a little to much for a moon light, the light goes right back to Sweden (China)
Did not even make a dent when main light is ON even when actinics only are ON still couldn't even notice any change.
Don't bother with this one.

chewie
07-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up, was going this weekend to pick up. How deep is your tank, how high above water did you mount etc...?

RuGlu6
07-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up, was going this weekend to pick up. How deep is your tank, how high above water did you mount etc...?

My tank is 24" high less sand and 1" below the rim so say 22" of water.
I held it right on top of the central brace about 1.5" above water.
At that point there was no visible change.

When ALL (MH and actinics ) were off it was interesting to see what LED color brings out what in the tank while changing the LED from white, yellow, green, light blue, blue, pink to red.

If you still planning to try it out, it is on the display at Ikea but not on the shelve. Talk to the pple in the Lighting dep. they will print out a pick up form. Then after you pay at the front, you can pick it up at the main level by the furniture pickup area past the returns desk. I had to wait for at least 15 min to get it though.

RuGlu6
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Are you going to stop using your cell phone? There's definitely some RF emitting from that, it is a transmitter/receiver after all.

Thanks for the heads up. I stopped using cell phone back in 2001. Never trusted corporate "studies" Motorola or BC hydro whatever they tell us The opposite is true 99% of the time.