PDA

View Full Version : Move over every other system monitor! (Check this out!!!)

ScubaSteve
06-20-2011, 09:50 PM
I think I'm in love. Apparently seneye (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/seneye)is a montoring system that can do:

free ammonia (NH3)
pH
light monitoring
temperature
water level
LUX (lx)
photosynthetic active radiation (PAR)
kelvin (K) - Light colour temperature

And all for the low price of $190!!! Check out the Advanced Aquarist (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/seneye) article.

Maverick00
06-20-2011, 10:27 PM
the graphs on the iphone for each parameter is awesome!

intarsiabox
06-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Looks really interesting! I'm curious how it will measure most of those parameters while only being placed at a single spot in the tank though.

Trigger Man
06-20-2011, 11:20 PM
i assumed the owner would have to move the monitor around to get different readings

mike31154
06-21-2011, 12:51 AM
While I really like the idea that someone is finally offering something of this nature that can run on a PC instead of it's own separate interface, I'm not sure this is all that useful in the end. I don't currently own a controller (more features than a monitoring device) and much prefer simple thermometers and test kits to check pH, ammonia etc. Aside from temperature & maybe water level monitoring virtually all the other parameters this thing provides data on are generally one time or occasional requirements only. The only time I ever checked for ammonia was during tank start up/cycling. With regular maintenance & observation, I don't see why constant ammonia monitoring would be required. Same goes for all the light measurements, lux, par, kelvin. I mean once you've set up your fixture and have it dialed in, where's the need to monitor constantly. I suppose it will help indicate when MH or T5 bulbs need replacing, but with LEDs becoming the norm and their longevity, again daily monitoring is a waste of time. I stopped chasing pH numbers a long time ago, live with the daily fluctuations as my livestock doesn't seem to care either. Finally, monitoring parameters is one thing, but being able to do something about certain shifts in these parameters usually requires a controller if you're not around to do so yourself. So I go on line remotely and this thing tells me my pH is out of whack or PAR reading tells me the lights may be off. I still need to either get home or phone someone to correct the issue in my absence.

ScubaSteve
06-21-2011, 03:24 AM
While I really like the idea that someone is finally offering something of this nature that can run on a PC instead of it's own separate interface, I'm not sure this is all that useful in the end. I don't currently own a controller (more features than a monitoring device) and much prefer simple thermometers and test kits to check pH, ammonia etc. Aside from temperature & maybe water level monitoring virtually all the other parameters this thing provides data on are generally one time or occasional requirements only. The only time I ever checked for ammonia was during tank start up/cycling. With regular maintenance & observation, I don't see why constant ammonia monitoring would be required. Same goes for all the light measurements, lux, par, kelvin. I mean once you've set up your fixture and have it dialed in, where's the need to monitor constantly. I suppose it will help indicate when MH or T5 bulbs need replacing, but with LEDs becoming the norm and their longevity, again daily monitoring is a waste of time. I stopped chasing pH numbers a long time ago, live with the daily fluctuations as my livestock doesn't seem to care either. Finally, monitoring parameters is one thing, but being able to do something about certain shifts in these parameters usually requires a controller if you're not around to do so yourself. So I go on line remotely and this thing tells me my pH is out of whack or PAR reading tells me the lights may be off. I still need to either get home or phone someone to correct the issue in my absence.

All very true. I also stopped testing long ago but mostly because it was too much of a PITA. At times though I wish I also had something that could actually tell me all of those things so I can diagnose problems and dial in my system. And I agree that it isn't a controller and actually fixes the root cause, knowing this information is half the battle...

And for people like me who have severly limited working budgets and can afford a high tech tank, though I aspire to, having a tool like this at my disposal for only $190 is pretty freaking sweet. I can take par measurement, track temp, pH and NH3 real time like the big kids... And once I get a chance to figure out it's programming, which I guarantee you is not complicated, I could build myself a 8 circuit controller for about $40.

It's just nice to see a "high end" tool that's affordable to poor shmucks like me.

Lampshade
06-21-2011, 03:52 AM
Wow, i'm impressed. Like others have said, nitrate/Phosphate would be nice. But this is ment for all aquariums it seems, for a planted tank this would be nice. I like it though, for 190 bucks it's cheaper than most par testers, and may give you a spectral plot graph according to the comments section.

riceboy
06-21-2011, 05:37 AM
That lOoks awesome looks like I know what my next purchase is lol

ponokareefer
06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
I don't see anyway of controlling the tank when gone with this controller though, so will probably still go with an Apex. Otherwise, it looks like a great system.

ScubaSteve
06-21-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't see anyway of controlling the tank when gone with this controller though, so will probably still go with an Apex. Otherwise, it looks like a great system.

Well, it is a monitor, so you can't do a plug-n-play controller... it's not designed for that.

But the signals that board is sending to the computer are very simple. I could easily write a LabView or Processing script to piggyback off of their system to run an 8 channel controller that would cost nothing to build... and I would actually have more control options. This could easily be the first "hackable" reef keeping product.

mike31154
06-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Definitely a nice monitoring tool for the price. As I mentioned, I really like the idea of being able to use a PC with it instead of having yet another LCD screen or control head designed only for an aquarium. Eventually all these things go obsolote, as do PCs, but generally with a PC upgrade, you're still able to use the new PC with most software.

sphelps
06-21-2011, 08:38 PM
So you're suppose to keep that big ugly white thing in your display? No thanks, realistically this is pretty useless, only good thing is the par meter which will likely not be as accurate and easy to use as other meters available.

lastlight
06-21-2011, 10:27 PM
So you're suppose to keep that big ugly white thing in your display? No thanks, realistically this is pretty useless, only good thing is the par meter which will likely not be as accurate and easy to use as other meters available.

+50

mark
06-22-2011, 02:54 AM
waterproof PAR meter for $190, looking forward to seeing the specs (accuracy/repeatability).

freezetyle
06-22-2011, 04:13 AM

I think the par feature is more of a once in a while thing. the monitor can sit in your sump/overflow for most other measurements, at least in my mind. I could care less about what par is unless its time to change bulbs or am acclimating a coral and in those instances it would be easily moved.

On a side note i was just reading the website. looks pretty neat. you need to replace "slides" on it monthly. Wonder how much those run?

syncro
06-22-2011, 05:23 AM
On a side note i was just reading the website. looks pretty neat. you need to replace "slides" on it monthly. Wonder how much those run?

I read somewhere $8/month gets you replacement slides and access to their online service so you can remotely monitor your device.

mike31154
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Starting to look a little like the old ink jet printer manufacturer ploy, reel you in with cheap hardware and keep you coming back with proprietary expendables, actually better, add a subscription service for a guaranteed monthly income.

fishytime
06-22-2011, 04:14 PM
I would think that you would need to keep the unit fairly clean for it to accurately read par/lux values.....

DiverDude
06-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I would think that you would need to keep the unit fairly clean for it to accurately read par/lux values.....

You read my mind. A quick vinegar bath every few months would probably do the trick but people need to be aware that it needs to be done.

subman
03-05-2012, 03:54 AM
http://www.h2oplusomething.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=226:seneye-reef-first-impressions&catid=46:water-flow&Itemid=65

interesting article

ScubaSteve
03-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Interesting article. Thanks for posting! Seneye is definitely a cool tool by we'll have to see how it holds up against all the other systems out there. I think their big sticking point is going to be price. $180 is not expensive for what it can do but some of the entry level controllers are less than that. It does have some nifty features though... Time will tell. I think for hardcore nerds like ourselves it might not be everything we want or need, but if they listen well and ureters the product (while keeping it cheap) they may be onto something.