PDA

View Full Version : RO SYSTEM or BUYING RO

Harpo
04-08-2011, 02:41 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if you think buying an RO system would be cheaper then buying it at the store?

Are the RO system filters expensive?

Any thoughts on this one?

BlueTang<3
04-08-2011, 02:43 AM
How much water will you be using? For small quantity just go buy it, as making small amounts of water and then stopping is hard on the filters. Filter cost depends on the number of stages you have.

Harpo
04-08-2011, 02:52 AM
How much water will you be using? For small quantity just go buy it, as making small amounts of water and then stopping is hard on the filters. Filter cost depends on the number of stages you have.

I have a 70 Gallon tank...not set up as I am moving. I was just thinking for the new house what would be more cost effective. How long can RO water sit without being used? Does it go stale?

BlueTang<3
04-08-2011, 03:16 AM
I have water go stagnant but i don't think stale if you keep it slightly agitated. The biggest problem is keeping bugs and stuff out of the water. I assume that bacteria would form on water that sat for an extended period. I usually make 50 gallons at a tie and it sits being agitated for a few weeks and never have problems.

mark
04-08-2011, 03:20 AM
when I had my 75g and using bottles was was something like $15/wk for evap and water changes. Can buy a ro/di unit along with a single change of filters (for a full year's worth of water) for around $175. Buy the filters in bigger quantities costs go down. Definitely cheaper and not have to hump and store the bottles a big plus.

FaRico
04-08-2011, 03:38 AM
What about for a 28 gal nano tank? Ive been flipping back and forth on the subject of getting one or buying as well. I've been trying to read up on the operation of the machine and it seems to be some have problems with auto/automatic shut offs, and wasting of water. Is this something I should be concerned with since I'd only be doing about 15 gal in water changes a month?

Harpo
04-08-2011, 11:51 PM
bump

whatcaneyedo
04-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Still haven't figured it out? How much do you spend weekly buying RO water from a store? Multiply that by 52. If its more than $200 you're obviously better off buying a filter.

Membranes are sort of expensive (+$60?) but only need to be replaced every 3-5 years. Pre-filters are around $5-$15 each depending on how many you buy and where you get them from.

whatcaneyedo
04-09-2011, 12:13 AM
I guess I should elaborate to say that if you're going to be spending over $200 in a year the filter will likely save you money right away in its first year. You will save even more in the subsequent years. For instance. Where I live we pay a fixed cost for water (its included in the rent) so I'm probably able to make over... 2000gal of RO/DI water for around $50 a year.

Harpo
04-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Yeah...not too sure how much I am going to use as I don't use it currently. Do you know of any good systems that would be worth buying? There are so many options out there, it's hard to know what one is worth the money.

Thanks,

whatcaneyedo
04-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Kent's systems use cheaper parts which I don't like and Vertex doesn't offer enough flexibility in my mind. BWI is probably fine but they only have 100gph membranes available... 75gpd has a higher rejection rate and has been what was recommended to me in the past. So I like the units sold on Bulk Reef Supply. They use john guest fittings, Filmtec membranes and you can opt to build your own system consisting of only the parts that you want.

mike31154
04-09-2011, 03:02 AM
First thing you might want to do is some research on your water source at the new house. Find out where it's coming from, presumably the City of Calgary, go on their web site and check the water reports to give you an idea of what to expect at your tap. Then get a cheap handheld TDS meter and take some readings after you move in. This will help determine what sort of RO system you require. Also find out if your water provider uses chlorine or chloramine to treat the water. This will have an impact on how many carbon stages you need (usually one extra for chloramine).

My 77 evaporates about a gallon a day, when I first started I used tap water treated for chlorine. I couldn't imagine having to go out and by RO water then lug it home for weekly evaporation and scheduled water changes. I purchased a system from BWI and am very pleased with it. It came with two carbon stages, but I recently removed one & replaced with a second poly filter since the extra carbon is not required for chlorine.

Harpo
04-12-2011, 02:56 AM
First thing you might want to do is some research on your water source at the new house. Find out where it's coming from, presumably the City of Calgary, go on their web site and check the water reports to give you an idea of what to expect at your tap. Then get a cheap handheld TDS meter and take some readings after you move in. This will help determine what sort of RO system you require. Also find out if your water provider uses chlorine or chloramine to treat the water. This will have an impact on how many carbon stages you need (usually one extra for chloramine).

My 77 evaporates about a gallon a day, when I first started I used tap water treated for chlorine. I couldn't imagine having to go out and by RO water then lug it home for weekly evaporation and scheduled water changes. I purchased a system from BWI and am very pleased with it. It came with two carbon stages, but I recently removed one & replaced with a second poly filter since the extra carbon is not required for chlorine.

Thank you for that great insight! I would of never have thought about finding out from the city as to what water is coming out of the tap! I will have to check that out ASAP soon as I find a house!

Thanks once again for yours and everybodys input!

Any more tips or anything on this topic would be helpful! :biggrin:

mike31154
04-12-2011, 03:38 AM
No problem. Most systems offered for our use are very much the same, but by knowing a little more about your source water you could save yourself one or more stages of filtration. It would help if a few folks from Calgary would provide additional input to help you make a choice. The TDS for folks in Vancouver is so low out of the tap, they could probably run a DI stage only and forego the RO section altogether. My source TDS is in the 210 to 220 range and the 75 gpd RO stage takes that down to 1 or even 0 in the winter with colder water, the DI stage takes care of the residual TDS.

Harpo
04-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Any info from Calgarians?

DiverDude
04-16-2011, 04:57 AM
My TDS is about 130 in NW Calgary.

I have a 35 gal setup presently and just getting the tank up and running the first month of water changes cost me something like $80 in jugs of water.

Before you buy a single jug of water, go and buy an RO/DI system. The longer you wait, the more $ you'll waste on buying water. RO systems aren't that expensive and even a $300 system will pay for itself in a reasonable period (depending, of course, on your tank size / water needs).

I also use mine to replace the Culligan service I had so I'm saving even more. Add to that the convenience of not having to lug jugs to the store and it's a no-brainer.

The Grizz
04-16-2011, 05:12 AM
Get an RO unit for sure, from what I have read about most larger cities the water supply really goes to crap in the spring with all the melting run off so the cities dump more chemicals into there systems to make it consumable. I have a whole house RO system & when the wife & I go any where & have a glass of water the taste of it really makes me wish I was at home.

MMAX
04-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Just wondering for all those in Alberta, where's the best place to buy pre-filters, RO membranes and DI filters?

Lysa.anne
04-20-2011, 08:17 PM
I got my 3 stage one from Filter Direct. We have it as a stand alone though, there's also no tank with it. But it does the job.

brianlow
05-18-2011, 01:33 AM
I just bought a Buckeye Field Supply 75 gph RO/DI unit. $250 shipped with all the fittings to hook up to the water supply. Some info:
http://www.reefcentral.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1280759

I think lugging RO water from the store will get old really fast, especially when you need to do a large water change to solve a problem.

I think at least one fish store in Calgary uses conditioned tap water (maybe it was just a rumor). It might be an option though I suspect not many people would recommend it. Are there any tanks of the month from Calgary using tap water?

DisneyCoralReef
05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if you think buying an RO system would be cheaper then buying it at the store?

You know what I got my system online, and it saved me probably 40% of the cost in stores. If you do some research and see what others use, you should be able to do some research online and find someone who can sell it to you online.

monocus
05-25-2011, 03:01 AM
i just picked up a aquasafe r/o unit with a 3 year supply of filters for $218 delivered off e-bay.the stupid thing was if i went to west vancouver where they make them ,it would have cost me $70 more.this was for a 7 filter system with all the hookups,and a pressure gauge

Capt_kulafu
05-25-2011, 04:17 PM
i would suggest by new RO/DI system than buy a RO in store

you can save a lot bucks and hassle to buy everyweek a RO..

Hi Everyone,

DisneyCoralReef
05-25-2011, 04:18 PM
i would suggest by new RO/DI system than buy a RO in store

you can save a lot bucks and hassle to buy everyweek a RO..
We have the system in place as well, where do you recommend getting the RO from?

Capt_kulafu
05-25-2011, 04:23 PM
me too i have a system in my place i got it 60$ from kijiji...
from culligan distilled water...

We have the system in place as well, where do you recommend getting the RO from?