PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! SUMP LEAKING

cathyg_99
04-06-2011, 04:17 AM
90G reef so my sump is leaking it just started this afternoon... (im unsure where) i went and moved all my powerheads point upwards and the heater into the main tank and ran to walmart to get a HOB filter (rated for 60g tank) heres my dilemma my tank stand has three doors and two braces (the doors close onto them) one of the braces must be removed in order to pull out the sump is this even possible?? or am i going to have to empty my entire display?

this is not a picture of my tank but so you have an idea its like this (the bar in the middle)
http://www.salofamily.com/troysarah/images/reeftank/Stand%28SkimmerSumpFuge%29.JPG

The Grizz
04-06-2011, 04:27 AM
That really suck Cathy, I would have to say to be on the side of caution you should empty the display. But if there is a way to brace the top of the stand on either side of the sump it could be done. If you do have to end up emptying the display I would suggest doing a little reinforcing of the top so that you could remove the center brace perminately.

cathyg_99
04-06-2011, 04:30 AM
That really suck Cathy, I would have to say to be on the side of caution you should empty the display. But if there is a way to brace the top of the stand on either side of the sump it could be done. If you do have to end up emptying the display I would suggest doing a little reinforcing of the top so that you could remove the center brace perminately.

im not 100% sure if it is a brace it was bought from aquagiant and all ill get from them is "its ok" FRAK! and of course this has to happen when my fiances away, what would you suggest i reinforce it with? just some 2X4s

Reefpins10
04-06-2011, 04:32 AM
It happened to me like that 10 years ago. I just emptied the sump, dried it out with towels and paper towels, then I re-siliconed the whole sump. After 24 hr, I put everything back and it was good for a few more years before I sold the whole system.

ottoman
04-06-2011, 04:32 AM
I am not an expert, but I would think it is very risky to cut any brace. You may want to well plan ahead and install addition support first before cutting out the braces. Good luck.

cathyg_99
04-06-2011, 04:34 AM
im thinking i might just silicone the **** out of it... from what i can tell its leaking on the pump side so far left chamber and its not a fast leak its about 1-2 gallons in like 2 hours the only thing i can think of that i have changed is i put a new magpump and its heavier than the last one but that was about 2 weeks ago now

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-06-2011, 04:36 AM
I am not sure but couldn't you have 2 pieces of wood cut at a 45 degree angle each end and have them extended 1/3 of the way from the center bracing to the sides of the stand and have them screwed permanently,then remove the center bracing.
Just a thought and i am in no means a woodworker(i know there is another word just cannot find it in my head:biggrin:)

The Grizz
04-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Yes, if you can get a couple 2x4's that are a nice tight fit from the floor to the bottom of the tank on both side's leaving enough room for the sump you should be able to quickly pull out the sump. Make sure that everything is free & clear so that when you take out the brace you can whip out the sump fast & get the brace back in.

Borderjumper
04-06-2011, 04:38 AM
Are you sure the sump won't slide out with the braces in place? It must have gone in with the braces in place.. I can't believe that the stand was built around the sump.

cathyg_99
04-06-2011, 04:40 AM
Are you sure the sump won't slide out with the braces in place? It must have gone in with the braces in place.. I can't believe that the stand was built around the sump.

uhh yeah we got it from aqua giant and it came preassembled but the sump was in backwards so the guy had to take out the middle brace to flip the sump and put it back in theres no way to get it out, other than the back which is against a wall...

Reefpins10
04-06-2011, 04:41 AM
I think just putting an extra thick layer of silicone on top of the old one like I did, it should be easier for woman like us when no man is around.

cathyg_99
04-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Yes, if you can get a couple 2x4's that are a nice tight fit from the floor to the bottom of the tank on both side's leaving enough room for the sump you should be able to quickly pull out the sump. Make sure that everything is free & clear so that when you take out the brace you can whip out the sump fast & get the brace back in.

uhh yeah im just going to silicone the crap out of it and do it when we get back from vacation/wedding my fiance just left a week ago and i wont see him until were both in england and then we come back june 8th... so i hope it will be okay i cant do it by myself and my mother in law would have to look after my son so theres no one really to help me brace things

cathyg_99
04-06-2011, 04:44 AM
I think just putting an extra thick layer of silicone on top of the old one like I did, it should be easier for woman like us when no man is around.

uhh lets just say my fiances not very handy at all... ive done most of the repairs in the house haha

The Grizz
04-06-2011, 04:47 AM
Trying to re-seal it while the sump is still in the stand might be your best bet for the interim until your Mr. gets home if you are worried about removing the brace yourself.

Reefpins10
04-06-2011, 04:48 AM
hA hA hA ... What a coincidence, I do most of the things around the house too ...

cathyg_99
04-06-2011, 04:49 AM
Trying to re-seal it while the sump is still in the stand might be your best bet for the interim until your Mr. gets home if you are worried about removing the brace yourself.

im just worried that if something else goes wrong while im trying to remove it theres NO ONE! to help at all

ALang
04-06-2011, 04:50 AM
Cathy,
I have an extra Aqua-C Remora Pro HOB Skimmer on hand right now I am not using, and cannot seem to sell it, so I have it if you want to borrow a HOB Skimmer to do the job until your silicone jobbie is done.

If you are interested, please let me know and we can arrange to get it to you ASAP. Then you can take your time about the draining and siliconing.

Chin up, girl.
Lenny.

The Grizz
04-06-2011, 04:55 AM
im just worried that if something else goes wrong while im trying to remove it theres NO ONE! to help at all

So very true, it is hard sometimes to do things myself on my tanks & have to get the wife to help me as well. If I was coming north I would stop in and see if I could help you out. Do you have a small wet vac to insure that you have got a dry surface & no water in-between the glass panels.

cathyg_99
04-06-2011, 05:11 AM
So very true, it is hard sometimes to do things myself on my tanks & have to get the wife to help me as well. If I was coming north I would stop in and see if I could help you out. Do you have a small wet vac to insure that you have got a dry surface & no water in-between the glass panels.

yes i do, and small no its a large one on the bright side i can use that instead of trying to scoop out every last inch

cathyg_99
04-06-2011, 05:12 AM
Cathy,
I have an extra Aqua-C Remora Pro HOB Skimmer on hand right now I am not using, and cannot seem to sell it, so I have it if you want to borrow a HOB Skimmer to do the job until your silicone jobbie is done.

If you are interested, please let me know and we can arrange to get it to you ASAP. Then you can take your time about the draining and siliconing.

Chin up, girl.
Lenny.

Thanks Alang but at the moment i think im okay i ran out to walmart and bought a cheapo one because nothing else was open and im planning on silicone it tomorrow morning so i think it will be fine, but if that fails then i will for sure hit you up on that offer

pyke
04-06-2011, 05:40 AM
If you can get your hands on some orca sealant from the LFS it can be applied right under the water, I installed both my overflows with the rock and fish in it when I switched to an overflow design from a bottom drilled tank. You just have to take a cloth and wipe the area very well to remove the slime from the tank and them apply the ocra glue over the leak.

re-siliconing the sump can be done if you can drain it and dry it out but that will take some time and is hit or miss.

as for the center brace all you need to do is get 3 -2x4's and 2-45 degree plates and brack the tank and you can remove the center post. I did it when I installed my new sump and the stand didnt move a millimeter.

They must be someone on canreef in Edmonton willing to lend a hand to help out!

Borderjumper
04-06-2011, 05:44 AM
uhh yeah we got it from aqua giant and it came preassembled but the sump was in backwards so the guy had to take out the middle brace to flip the sump and put it back in theres no way to get it out, other than the back which is against a wall...

Dang..

cathyg_99
04-06-2011, 05:46 AM
If you can get your hands on some orca sealant from the LFS it can be applied right under the water, I installed both my overflows with the rock and fish in it when I switched to an overflow design from a bottom drilled tank. You just have to take a cloth and wipe the area very well to remove the slime from the tank and them apply the ocra glue over the leak.

re-siliconing the sump can be done if you can drain it and dry it out but that will take some time and is hit or miss.

as for the center brace all you need to do is get 3 -2x4's and 2-45 degree plates and brack the tank and you can remove the center post. I did it when I installed my new sump and the stand didnt move a millimeter.

They must be someone on canreef in Edmonton willing to lend a hand to help out!

im just going to silicone it myself and wait for my fiance to come home... besides if he breaks it i guess we will just have to upgrade haha

pyke
04-06-2011, 06:02 AM
im just going to silicone it myself and wait for my fiance to come home... besides if he breaks it i guess we will just have to upgrade haha

Thats a great way of looking at it.

If you look at my tank thread you can actually see where I cut out my center brace.

The tank is holding strong so far.

cwatkins
04-06-2011, 06:09 AM
If it's anything like my marineland sedona stand, the center piece isn't load bearing, but more decorative for the doors to close against.

Examples:
http://www.melevsreef.com/55g/55sump.html (1/2 way down the page).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14799737 (see post #8)

Wayne
04-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Cathy if you need a hand you can always feel free to pm me :wink:

Wayne
04-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Cathy your PM box is full so :

No worries, its an open invitation for whenever or whatever :smile:

Transcend
04-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Hey Cathy,

if u need a hand i can help u out, i built my only stand out of 6 8ft 2x4 and 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood. stand weighs about 200lb and can hold a truck. i've never like the stands brought at the store. just seams weak. i have no brace in the middle. reinforcing it will be easy, just need glue and couple pieces of 2x4.

let me know.

cathyg_99
04-08-2011, 08:28 PM
so ive resiliconed it and filled it up, now im just waiting..... if i dont see and leaks in an hour im putting some salt in and starting the pump i really hope it works because with the hob on it my house smells like fish

RedCoralEdmonton
04-08-2011, 11:18 PM
If it does start leaking again we have some Orca glue at the store, you wont have to drain it out again to use it...

Steve

cathyg_99
04-09-2011, 12:32 AM
so far so good... the only things that seem stressed are the toadstool and the anemone but the anemone was stressed before so he might now make it...

ALang
04-09-2011, 03:49 PM
So how are things, Cathy?
Everyone's back to normal now??

cathyg_99
04-09-2011, 08:34 PM
So how are things, Cathy?
Everyone's back to normal now??

yes other than the fact that im an IDIOT! i forgot to replug in my heater so im slowly heating the display again

The Grizz
04-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Good to hear Cathy, I think most of us have had the same issue with either not unplugging the heater or forgetting to plug it back in. I myself have not had that issue with the 8'er since my heater has never be plugged in for almost a year now.

ALang
04-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Shouldn't be that bad, don't beat yourself up for it.
Right now, temps couldn't have dropped too low. Mine's at 76F at night.