PDA

View Full Version : How many of you sneak things home?

cathyg_99
04-04-2011, 03:49 AM
Just curious as to how many of you sneak things into your tank so your significant other doesn't get mad because you bought another fish thing...

I know I do... Did you buy a new pump? None I just replumbed it... And that's not a new coral I moved it from the back...

hound96
04-04-2011, 03:55 AM
can't the other half knows the finances right down to the last penny

Edmonton newbie
04-04-2011, 03:58 AM
no point here we maintain seperate accounts and as long as all the bills get paid nothing is said about new fish or equipment :)

Ian
04-04-2011, 03:59 AM
Is it sneaking if you just don't mention a new addition....:mrgreen:
No thats not a new fish it is just getting its adult colors now is another favorite on mine

The Grizz
04-04-2011, 04:50 AM
As long as I have cash in my wallet and don't have to use the debit card I can sometime manage to sneak the odd thing home :biggrin:

es355lucille
04-04-2011, 04:53 AM
I just ensure that Doug at Red Coral does not say the price out loud. My wife comes along to look at the fish and corals and there is not usually a problem until one day Doug says out loud "That will be $525.00" ----->>>then I get a look!!!!!!!! and a WTF! Seriously I could walk out with a large skimmer packed in a giant box and she might ask me what it is.....LOL! I love her.. he he

Now that I have Doug trained........we are good to go into Red Coral again! LOL!

abcha0s
04-04-2011, 05:09 AM
Yeah, my wife knows what my general tank budget is, but not how I spend it. I don't tell her how much each item costs. If she knew I spent $300 on a fish or $700 on a powerhead, I'm not sure she would be all that impressed.

I'm not beyond telling her that the MP60s are really just cheap pumps :smile: I did tell her what I paid for my lights though.

Lance
04-04-2011, 05:15 AM
No secrets in this house; we both enjoy the tanks. Besides, she can't say much, she spends as much on her crafts.

fishoholic
04-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Now that I have Doug trained........

You mean he can be trained :lol: :razz:

In the past I often mislead my ex as to what fish related stuff I had or what it cost or how I got it. Now I don't need to since Doug is usually with me when I buy something, or he just brings me fish stuff :mrgreen: Have I mentioned how wonderful he is :love:

globaldesigns
04-04-2011, 05:36 AM
Nope, no secrets here.

Raven34
04-04-2011, 06:09 AM
My wife thinks show size Queen angels and such cost around 40$.

rynoe
04-04-2011, 06:53 AM
My wife was away for the weekend last month and I upgraded from a 72 bowfront to a 135. Couldn't really hide it. I will be making it up to her for the next year i'm sure.

es355lucille
04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Trained might be a bad word, lets just say we have an understanding. LOL!

You mean he can be trained :lol: :razz:

staceyd72
04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi,

I have a budget for my hobby, as long as the item(s) are within my budget all is well.

I don't get upset when my spouse spends money on things that I feel is 'uhh'

My rule is, if I can't pay cash for it then I cannot afford it :smile:

Just curious as to how many of you sneak things into your tank so your significant other doesn't get mad because you bought another fish thing...

reefwars
04-04-2011, 02:22 PM
ummm just read my signature lol

cathyg_99
04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
umm... well i would say i do all of the above, good to know that im not the only one haha... hes gone for 3 weeks then i leave and already theres pulsing xenia, toad stool, frogspawn and im sure more by the time he gets back... The purple mushrooms grow into toad stools right? thats believable?

oh he also didnt notice that i put 2 blue chromis in the tank he thought they came with the rock, like the emerald crab we found... I love him but hes so dumb some times

ALang
04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Yes I do sneak things into the house.
Other spouses sneak shoes and purses, I just do corals and fish. Don't know why I still do that, maybe it's due to the amount of SPSs that I regularly killed before I can get them to grow...Now it's just a habit.:mrgreen:

Takes him months to actually notice something new, unless it's a fish, then it's hard to hide that fact.:twised:

Dez
04-04-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't really have to. She knows the aquarium is expensive to run and start, but she loves it. It sometimes takes a little bit of convincing to buy a $300 goldflake angel though. But in the end, everybody is usually happy.

sgreen
04-04-2011, 03:12 PM
We can't hide anything from each other...we are both into this as much as the other is!!! We have both become 'addicted' to this hobby, so, it let's us do something that we both enjoy...together. And we usually go to the LFS' together to check out what is new. Or for me, sometimes, just to socialize while Jim is looking at something.

paddyob
04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
If you can't be honest with your spouse/partner thats too bad.

My wife does not like what or when I buy stuff... but I would rather her be mad at me for a day than feel like I am always lying to her.

Better to be trust worthy 100% than give her a reason to think I lie about other things too.

Just my 2 cents.

Leah
04-04-2011, 03:45 PM
You mean there are some that don't sneak stuff in. :lol: :biggrin:

dsaundry
04-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I just tell her it must have multiplied:mrgreen:, she laughs and walks away.. all good, more or less....the odd time perhaps.

Edmonton newbie
04-04-2011, 04:07 PM
wow gotta say i like my situation the best lol in 08 i left the house for a 10 day trip to fort mac driving a minivan and can back 10 days later in a new pathfinder all that was said was she liked the mod work i had done lol. I probablly should have told her i was thinking of upgrading before the papers were signed and in the driveway lol once that went through anything for the tanks doesnt even bat an eyelash

jorjef
04-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Is lying by ommision "REALLY" lying.... wife..." so that coral, it cost about about $50.00??" Me ... " mmm hmm".....We have seperate accounts so not a big deal, she just rolls her eyes..

rocks
04-04-2011, 04:22 PM
What my husband doesn't notice doesn't hurt him. or hurt my ears

riceboy
04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
lol i've sneaked in coral and fish at 11:-12 at night before, but my mom keeps a keen eye on my tank and takes notice of everything lol, i just tell her i get it for free or for 5-10 bucks from buddies lol, or i just tell her that i'm not spending money on boos or drugs just on corals and fish lol

phi delt reefer
04-04-2011, 04:59 PM
lol i've sneaked in coral and fish at 11:-12 at night before, but my mom keeps a keen eye on my tank and takes notice of everything lol, i just tell her i get it for free or for 5-10 bucks from buddies lol, or i just tell her that i'm not spending money on boos or drugs just on corals and fish lol

lol this could go one of two ways :) - wife would be very mad if it wasnt booze, but the other :D, LMAO

i am smart. I show her all of your 100+ gallon builds with Deltec Skimmers/ Vertex LEDs etc. Then when i go buy my stuff she thinks i am practically stealing it from the retailer!

all jokes aside - what my wife spends on MAC makeup/Guess/Marciano/Diesel jeans/tanning/purses is no where near what my initial investment into my system will be. She has 50+ pairs of jeans - most are $150 a pair. She has a couple that cost $300. As long as we both pay our bills each month - we dont say anything... just cringe, lol.

cathyg_99
04-04-2011, 05:03 PM
If you can't be honest with your spouse/partner thats too bad.

My wife does not like what or when I buy stuff... but I would rather her be mad at me for a day than feel like I am always lying to her.

Better to be trust worthy 100% than give her a reason to think I lie about other things too.

Just my 2 cents.

I tell him after the fact it's just funny to see that he has no clue when the tank is completely redone he thinks it all looks the same

paddyob
04-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Uhmm... your Mom? Monthly allowance? Ha ha! JK.

riceboy
04-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Uhmm... your Mom? Monthly allowance? Ha ha! JK.

The price you pay for living with your parents still lol

Lysa.anne
04-04-2011, 06:07 PM

I know I do... Did you buy a new pump? None I just replumbed it... And that's not a new coral I moved it from the back...
No secrets here! He's just as addicted to the aquarium as I am :)

es355lucille
04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Thats a good way to go and is the same as us. My wife (KissMyWrasse) loves the aquarium as myself and one of our kids has asthma....so no doggies which she would love to have. So we have......well fish and other marine critters!

No secrets here! He's just as addicted to the aquarium as I am :)

Madreefer
04-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I do. So wheres the poll?

chewie
04-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I used to sneek stuff all the time. After many suck up episodes after she notices I decided to bring her to local fs with me. Once there it is me telling her that we shouldnt get this or that just yet, that we have to take it slow and buy only a few things at once, "but its sooo pretty".

She still goes on about how expensive it is. It just urks me that they think nothing of spending money on other stuff (such as sented candles at $20 each that just go up in flame) and its me that has an expensive hobby....
:B-fly: Love you honey

brotherd
04-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Just dropped 260 for a new pair of sunglasses.She was with me and didn't even blink.If I spend 50 on fish stuff in front of her I hear about it for a day.You should of heard the fireworks when I spent 1200 online!So yea,I have to sneak stuff from time to time.:mrgreen:

lastlight
04-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I've lost track of how many times she's asked if I'm hiding another tube of epoxy in my pocket.

fishytime
04-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Like Laurie(fishoholic) said.....we dont have to sneak stuff......she is usually the one saying "go for it hun"......might be really dangerous to our bank accounts if we ever move in together......

now the ex on the other hand was a different story.......I would get the hairy eyeball every now and then and comments like "where did that come from".....and I would be like, "what?" she would say " that coral/fish/clam!".....I would say...."um.......I dont know:noidea: ..........it must have hitchhiked in on something:mrgreen:

Lance
04-05-2011, 12:10 AM
I've lost track of how many times she's asked if I'm hiding another tube of epoxy in my pocket.

Atta Boy Brett! Much better than a roll of pennies.

fishytime
04-05-2011, 12:14 AM
twonies impress the ladies more Lance

Lance
04-05-2011, 12:18 AM
twonies impress the ladies more Lance

That's right. And a tube of epoxy is like 8" long. Better yet.

DiverDude
04-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Lies are bad for a relationship. So, we have a policy...she doesn't ask and I don't have to lie ! Works REALLY well ! :mrgreen:

I have seen the odd twinge of surprise form her that leads me to believe that she's not really up on what some of this stuff costs. When I let on that I'd spent $400 for a used light fixture (for which I don't have the tank yet), she raised an eyebrow -but she maintained the code and didn't say anything.

Zarstar
04-05-2011, 01:54 AM
If you mean sneak into one tank so the other doesnt notice.... then yes

bvlester
04-05-2011, 06:47 AM
I do joke about sneaking stuff in but I have not had to yet the wife notices everything and will say something about it for sure. If I come home with coral frag I tell her she's going to notice anyways.... and I don't like leaving thing out in a cold truck for a few hours after I get home.

Bill

c me fish
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
So far so good, she enjoys the tank as much as I do, so no sneaking required... The only time she's upset with me is when a fish doesn't make it through quarantine. Thankfully it's only been a couple of times in the last 3 years.

adamsarmywife
04-05-2011, 01:27 PM
As I've taught my sister it's always best to ask forgiveness not permission.
I never lie he's just late catching up with the developments :biggrin:

That's how we bought our house. Gotta love a man that works over seas:wink:

kien
04-05-2011, 02:32 PM
My wife is actually quite happy to see me bring in new fish tank purchases. Sure beats the hookers, drugs and booze I used to spend all my money on. So she says anyway.. :noidea:

Lance
04-05-2011, 04:32 PM
My wife is actually quite happy to see me bring in new fish tank purchases. Sure beats the hookers, drugs and booze I used to spend all my money on. So she says anyway.. :noidea:

My wife likes to see new fish as well, though she's not into corals as much as I am. And I've been weaning her off the hookers, drugs and booze. :mrgreen:

ALang
04-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Boy! Any chance any of your wives might read this!!??

jon.smolders
04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Financial issues are the source of 90% of marital problems. It's not healthy to lie to a spouse about anything... just causes problems in the long run, and yes, the omission of truth is a lie if it is omitted to twist the truth. :)

My wife and I have our own "fun accounts" ... anything spent from this account is fine. No questions asked. The problem is that we're not in a position financially with school and work and living situations and paying off the vehicle to be regularly contributing to these accounts other than Christmas or birthday money. I had $30 left in mine, and I bought some snails that came to $35... had to use the other account. I told her about it, and she's keeping a mental IOU. But she's generally ok with me spending small amounts of money from our joint account.

That being said, my new tank is currently empty, and there's a nice clove frag for $20 at the lfs. We were in looking at it yesterday, but I didn't buy it. I am really, really tempted to go out and get it before she comes home from work. :mrgreen:

wayner
04-05-2011, 06:19 PM
My wife knows by now that anything that appears to be new in the tank has grown out of the Live rock, clams, corals, fish, etc

:biggrin:

Leah
04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
My wife knows by now that anything that appears to be new in the tank has grown out of the Live rock, clams, corals, fish, etc

:biggrin:

:lol: good one.

DiverDude
04-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Financial issues are the source of 90% of marital problems.

Really !?!! -and all this time I figured it was the mistresses that were ****ing her off !

:wink:

fishoholic
04-05-2011, 08:24 PM

My wife likes to see new fish as well, though she's not into corals as much as I am. And I've been weaning her off the hookers, drugs and booze. :mrgreen:

:tsk: :lol:

Harpo
04-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Who doesn't?? LOL! :mrgreen:

bauder1986
04-06-2011, 02:39 AM
It's funny that someone would ask this because nearly every single person that would come over to buy frags from me would say shhh be quite my wife is on the phone and she hunks I'm out getting an oil change! Or some other excuse haha

Ian
04-06-2011, 02:57 AM
I think sneaking may be done for ...my wife wants a seahorse tank and we have a tank just waiting for this.....sneaking may have been easier on the wallet than 2 addicts :wink:

Murminator
04-06-2011, 04:58 AM
Funny story wife is leaving for work she asks what are you going to do today? (it was my day off) gonna wash my quad it was pretty muddy took it to the car wash washed it up then stopped by the dealership for some maintenance parts ended up working out a deal on a new quad. Brought it home put it back in the garage. Wife comes home from work and says wow did you ever get you quad clean...I say nothing. Later that evening watching survivor she says I thought you quad was red?? (replaced it with a blue one) ........BUSTED..... glad she didn't log in to internet banking while at work cause she woulda called that bank thinking we were hacked

....so yeah i try to sneak

Aquaria
04-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Lol funny topic I got a pistol Shrimp a week ago and the next day I was pretty close to just going an buying his goby since he seemed so lonely (that's what I told my g/f anyway) but I thought there was no way I could hide a yellow goby an her not notice since she looks into the tank as much as me lol.I'm acually really glad I don't have to hide things i think it makes it more enjoyable if I'm not sneaking around like a ninja although I won't lie when I say If I had a significant other who was anal about my tank I prob would be a master ninja by now

Coleus
04-06-2011, 08:48 PM

I got to say most asian wives has this same thinking, my wife says the same.

However, i think i still spend less money than my wife spending on her shoes and purses so she has no problem me buying stuff home. Even encourage me to get my 400 gallon project going....

DisneyCoralReef
05-24-2011, 06:42 PM
What an amusing thread. My fiance is extremely supportive of the hobby and is in fact usually the one picking up what we need for the tank :lol:

gobytron
05-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I am the master of my own domain...

DisneyCoralReef
05-24-2011, 09:18 PM
So you're a master of sneaking things? :behindsofa:

Parker
05-24-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't sneak things past my wife, no need. She constanly bugs me to make our tank look like the nice display tanks at the store.. I told her that costs money and she is Ok with it.

gobytron
05-25-2011, 02:21 PM
So you're a master of sneaking things? :behindsofa:

I feel genuinely sorry for those who actually do have to sneak stuff past their significant others...

what a way to live your life...:cry:

christyf5
05-25-2011, 02:53 PM
unless what I buy is standing at the front of the tank waving at him saying "hey look at me I'm new!" my husband is unlikely to notice. He will ask if I bought anything after a trip down to Victoria but mostly I think that its just so I'll reciprocate when he's talking about a hockey game or something interesting to him that I'm supposed to care about :razz:

DisneyCoralReef
05-25-2011, 03:01 PM
unless what I buy is standing at the front of the tank waving at him saying "hey look at me I'm new!" my husband is unlikely to notice. He will ask if I bought anything after a trip down to Victoria but mostly I think that its just so I'll reciprocate when he's talking about a hockey game or something interesting to him that I'm supposed to care about :razz:
You make a good point. I think buying new equipment is all relative. If it's something you need, or something you want to add to the tank, I think unless you're spending your household life necessity income, I can't imagine you are "sneaking" anything in. We are both new but into our new fishtank, so to use we share the enjoyment of having some new to the tank together. I am VERY fortunate that way to share the same interest.

christyf5
05-25-2011, 06:50 PM
I agree. My husband knows this hobby isn't cheap. He also has a dog that eats $100 worth of food a month. As long as its not taking anything away from the important stuff that needs to be bought, I'm pretty much good to go for tank purchases, that being said, my tank is pretty full and has a lot of bells and whistles already :wink:

Wanderer
05-25-2011, 06:52 PM

this is one of the benefits of being single my friend ... i don't mind eating KD to be able to afford a new toy :D

FaRico
05-25-2011, 07:18 PM
I don't sneak anything in, but when asked how much, the answer is always "It was on sale"

DisneyCoralReef
05-25-2011, 07:33 PM
I don't sneak anything in, but when asked how much, the answer is always "It was on sale"
BAHAHHAAAHA!

Chowder
05-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Was this not a Seinfeld episode?

gobytron
05-26-2011, 02:28 PM
totally different context.
In seinfelds sense of the term, I am certainly NOT the master of my own domain....lol

Proteus
08-13-2011, 04:03 PM
It's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

My wife now accepts the hobby and knows it's better not to ask the price.

Vitaminz
08-13-2011, 10:53 PM
I have to be honest and say that When my tank was at work, I would save up some of my extra spending cash and spend it on the tank without the wife knowing. Now that I shut down that tank, and have a new 90g at home, it is now my wife that I catch sneaking things in the tank....lol Got to love Karama eh?

Jeff

reefme
10-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Yes I do sneak things into the house.
Other spouses sneak shoes and purses, I just do corals and fish. Don't know why I still do that, maybe it's due to the amount of SPSs that I regularly killed before I can get them to grow...Now it's just a habit.:mrgreen:

Takes him months to actually notice something new, unless it's a fish, then it's hard to hide that fact.:twised:

+1

Lampshade
10-22-2011, 12:52 AM
I don't know about sneaking stuff in, but i heard some great words of wisdom a while ago. "Fish cost $5 coral costs $3." So, I no longer sneak stuff in, I just find REALLY good sales. Hardware is harder to do that with... but then again, if I get a vortech I could just write maxijet on the side....