PDA

View Full Version : PVC glue question

apexifd
04-02-2011, 08:16 AM
just redo my plumbing in order to fit in a new skimmer. while at it I made 2 1/2" tee connection, hoping to elimate 2 pumps for bio pellet and chiller.

now, my question is, since the tank is stock with fish and sps, should I take special precaution before turning water back on after glue dries?? eg. run it with fresh water first?

also how many hours do you guys wait before turing water back on??

thanks

pter

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-02-2011, 08:27 AM
I usually wait no more than an hour and run it normally with no extra precautions.

mike31154
04-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I'd check the instructions on the glue container to see if they provide the time to full cure. Turn system back on after that amount of time. The stuff cures hard just like the plastic itself, so should be no need to take any further precautions after full cure time is attained.

cathyg_99
04-02-2011, 02:48 PM
i used the standard pvs primer and glue and waited 15 mins before i ran water through it... it works fine no leaks it took all night to CURE hard but the instructions said 15 mins just keep a powerhead going in the tank

DiverDude
04-02-2011, 05:48 PM
The cure time specified is for it to be good for full operating pressures which can be hundreds of PSI. 30 minutes should be fine for aquarium needs.

Maverick00
04-02-2011, 11:54 PM
I ran pvc to and from my sump a couple months ago, i waited a couple hours before running water through the lines and had no issues at all. pvc glue dries relatively fast when exposed to the air.

apexifd
04-03-2011, 06:47 AM
I end up giving it 12 hours to cure before turning the water back on, mostly because of jet lag.

I was more concern about the chemical used in the glue that may leak into the water. Considering I have lost most of my sps in the last 2 week. There's a new die off every day. So, I didn't want the situation to get worth from the glue.

anyway, water is back on, no leak. but, with 2 tee used for chiller and tlf phoban 150 running carbons, my flow rate seems to drop alot(sedra 5000!!!)