PDA

View Full Version : Sps bleaching after nem sting

cathyg_99
03-31-2011, 12:57 AM
I have a mystery sps that got stung when my nem went for a walk 3 of their arms are white now I moved it to a higher place and put a power head on it so it gets slot of current any other suggestions? Or is it just going to die my tanks pretty young still but it was doing fine till the nem took a walk

wtym
03-31-2011, 01:12 AM
In my experience, when my bubble tip stings an SPS it always slowly dies. But, I can sometimes frag it or cut off the part that was damaged if I catch it early enough.

Delphinus
03-31-2011, 01:13 AM
It's an injury for sure but whether it lives or dies depends on the extent of the damage and how fast SPS grows in the system. However in and of itself, usually these things do happen, and corals do recover, it's not an instant death sentence at least.

It is better, however, to have corals outside of the sting zone of an anemone as long-term contact will indeed usually result in the loss of the coral.

Some corals don't mind contact of anemones, some do, it's a very individual sort of thing. One on my carpets routinely touchs a montipora with no issue; yet in the past I've lost corals when a BTA got too large or readjusted its position. So it's definitely a case by case kind of thing.

spawn
03-31-2011, 01:15 AM
+ 1 cut the part that the nem touched off.In my experience, when my bubble tip stings an SPS it always slowly dies. But, I can sometimes frag it or cut off the part that was damaged if I catch it early enough.

ScubaSteve
03-31-2011, 03:56 AM
Frag off the dying part just below where it gets bad. If you don't, you'll regret it. It'll just STN and the whole colony will collapse.