PDA

View Full Version : 1.5" PVC Sanitary T's -Where in Calgary ?

DiverDude
03-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Looking for some 1.5" PVC sanitary T's to mock-up a Bean Animal overflow but I can't find PVC Sanitary T's anywhere !!!

FYI, a 'Sanitary' T is different from a plain T in that the inlet is curved in the direction of the flow.

Anyone know where I can find these ?

Thanks.

sphelps
03-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Use ABS, don't think you'll find them in PVC, they have no common application in PVC so no typical plumbing supplier will have them.

Delphinus
03-22-2011, 09:29 PM
I was reading up on BeanAnimals just two days ago and noticed the same thing in pictures that the folks were using sanitary T's in PVC.

Around here, easy to find in ABS, and probably completely impossible to find in PVC. Give the folks at Western Pump a call, maybe they have something but to be honest I doubt it. Beyond that maybe some kind of irrigation supply place. Speciality PVC bits around here are hard to come by.

I did find a mail order place just now but no idea if you have to do a minimum order.
http://www.pexsupply.com/PVC-Sanitary-Tees-All-Hub-475000

Good luck.

PS. In my own FOWLR that I was about to do the BeanAnimal on, I ended up saying "screw that" and just went with a modified Herbie (two emergency overflows but otherwise is a standard Herbie). Herbie's are silent and bubble-less anyhow and I have no cause to complain about the one in use on my reef so some food for thought for you on that one.

The Codfather
03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Mark,
As long as you don't mind them being grey instead of white, I can get some to you on the weekend. Let me know,
Bob

cathyg_99
03-22-2011, 10:01 PM
i found them at plumbers village in edmonton they also have sanitary pvc that wont leach chemicals ect. into your tank

DiverDude
03-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Mark,
As long as you don't mind them being grey instead of white, I can get some to you on the weekend. Let me know,
Bob

Bob, I suspect that if it's grey, it's probably for central vacuum systems and the schedule will be wrong.

The Codfather
03-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Mark,
I am a plumber by trade so most fittings I can get at the shop or the wholesale. If you need let me know, these are for a drainage application, not vac systems.

abcha0s
03-22-2011, 10:43 PM
I ordered white PVC sanitary tee's from some site in the US. It cost me something like $3 each for the tees and $20 to ship 4 of them. Oh well.

More importantly - you should really consider an external overflow. You can still apply Bean's principals, but you might not need the sanitary tees.

On my 90g, I built the Beananimal overflow exactly as it is documented. It worked great. On my new tank, I modified it a little and built it externally.

Just a thought...

- Brad

DiverDude
03-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Mark,
I am a plumber by trade so most fittings I can get at the shop or the wholesale. If you need let me know, these are for a drainage application, not vac systems.

Ah. Well then you'd know, wouldn't you ! I've seen several sanitary tees that are NOT schedule 40 though so I'm wary !

Bow plastics makes a Sanitary Tee in PVC:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Bow-430017-1-1-2-PVC-Sanitary-Tee-4252000-p

..so they exist but they're not common in sizes under 3". I can buy 4" at Home Depot.

Unfortunately, I have all the pieces -except for the Tees- already so I'm trying hard to keep the aesthetic straight.

The Codfather
03-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Mark,
Any sanitary fitting will only have a DWV rating(Drain, Waste and Vent) in other words it has no pressure application or schedule number, but will handle more than enough for our overflows. I have grey on hand, if you want white I can take a look and see what I can find. My wife will be in cowtown this weekend and can bring some in if need be.
Bob

DiverDude
03-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Bob,

ok...now I'm learning something. I always thought that 'schedule' referred to a combination of O.D. and I.D. but apparently, after a little research, that's not right (1.5" schedule 40 and schedule 80 pipe are both the same O.D., but different I.D.). As you point out, schedule is simply a wall thickness that affords a particular pressure rating -which I don't need.

The issue I have is that right now, I have the pipe and all the fittings (except the Tee) in white and all schedule 40. I'd be happy enough to switch all that to a grey PVC of whatever schedule (or none) as long as I can get all the bits for that to match up (and fit). I have no idea where to get the other pieces in grey !

I wasn't going to glue any of this in case I ever need to take it apart (and since there's no pressure to speak of, I didn't see a need).

If you have a chance to look and see if you have the white pieces, I think that would be my simplest solution. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

The Codfather
03-23-2011, 03:43 AM
I will have a look. if I cannot find any white, send me a pm of what you need. You will just have to pick it up in south cowtown on the weekend, have to stay here this weekend, have a tank to build.
Do yourself a favour and glue everything up, I know that there is only head pressure on the system, but...... Murphy has a way of showing up at the most inconvenient time.
I get the feeling that the piping will be exposed?? Hence the need to keep everything the same colour?
Also schedule number is an indication of pressure rating, it is directly related to the wall thickness. So what you have so far is all pressure rated fittings.