PDA

View Full Version : UV Light Good/Bad

Zarstar
03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Hello I'm a new member, (sounds like AA) i have a question to pose to the reefer community: Is Ultra Violet light beneficial to my tank? Here is my rational behind the question:

1) Silica Glass (most glass) does not transmit UV light (or very little), hence you cannot get a suntan indoors.

2) the amount of UV light at the equator, most coral reefs, is about 1000X higher than at the north pole (the south pole has a man made ozone layer hole)

3) My Maxspect G2 LED's produce a focused yet wide array of light wavelengths that include the UV -A,B,C as well as visible.

4) If i take my glass lid off the tank it will evaporate more and i risk losing fish to Tank Jump Suicide.

So fellow reefers what should i do? take the cover off and give full reign to my overpriced LED's or continue down this path of salt creep and a UVless tank?

PS Dont buy G2's they have no controller or dimmer, I thought in this day and age that would be standard, apparently not in China. :cry:

Twinn
03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
I use a DIY screen top to stop fish from jumping. I also like an open top for the gas exchange.

Zarstar
03-07-2011, 12:16 AM
... i removed my glass top. thanks :lol:

ElGuappo
03-07-2011, 02:19 AM
i voted both yes and no.... if i am using a canopy then no... no canopy then yes usually with the exvception of in the summer as it restricts evap and the temp gets too high...

monocus
03-07-2011, 05:51 AM
i built a canopy&my vertex hangs 12 " above the water

The Grizz
03-07-2011, 05:56 AM
No glass top on the tank but glass shields on my MH fixtures.

Zarstar
03-07-2011, 05:38 PM
No glass top on the tank but glass shields on my MH fixtures.

Interesting thought. The G2 has acrylic glass the best i can tell. Acrylic will transmit down to 300nm so thats some UV. You would think lighting manufacturers would consider this stuff...

Bblinks
03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't know if this will help, I have a glass shield on my 400w mh with a glass top. last month I decided to take my glass top off so I don't have to clean my glass top all the time.(I am not lazy just try to make things easier :redface:) I had the glass off for about three days and all of sudden 5 of my acros started to bleach. Now I am not sure if its due to the sudden change in light intensity and excess uv shinning down but I immediately replaced my glass top, 2 weeks later 3 of the 5 recovered and the other 2 is now in the garbage. I don't believe that coral needs uv to grow but it can definitly with stand it and flourish either way. What I am trying to say is take it slow, raise your light and let your coral get use to it and not just remove it like I did. best of luck let me know how it turns out. :smile:

MitchM
03-09-2011, 08:40 AM
A sudden increase in UV rays can cause your corals to bleach. That's why they need to be acclimated to your tank by starting them off in lower areas and slowly moving them up.
Depends on the conditions they came from.

I'm using Lexan lids on my tank, but that's mainly to decrease the amount of evaporation.

reefan
03-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't recommend a glass top, the tank does better when it can "breathe"

amoreira
03-14-2011, 06:28 PM
In the summer, evaporation cools your tank. This means lower cost for chillers etc.. I run fans in the summer that blow air over the top of my aquarium and that meets all my cooling needs at a fraction of the energy consumption from a chiller.

You can buy clear mesh screening to prevent your fish from committing suicide:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/miscellaneous/miscellaneous-items/clear-1-4-screen-netting-7-x-3.html

There is a video instruction in BRS on how to make a screen top for your tank.

freakshow
03-15-2011, 07:25 PM
A good canopy will excellent ventilation and fans will keep fish from jumping out and the lights can be installed inside of the canopy. I never cover any of my tanks with glass.

Harpo
03-19-2011, 01:06 AM
Does the plastic shield covering my bulbs on my hood reduce the UV light? Will there be any harm that my bulbs will explode or weaken due to salt evap.? I don't have glass covering my tank.

Lysa.anne
04-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Hello I'm a new member, (sounds like AA) i have a question to pose to the reefer community: Is Ultra Violet light beneficial to my tank? Here is my rational behind the question:

1) Silica Glass (most glass) does not transmit UV light (or very little), hence you cannot get a suntan indoors.

2) the amount of UV light at the equator, most coral reefs, is about 1000X higher than at the north pole (the south pole has a man made ozone layer hole)

3) My Maxspect G2 LED's produce a focused yet wide array of light wavelengths that include the UV -A,B,C as well as visible.

4) If i take my glass lid off the tank it will evaporate more and i risk losing fish to Tank Jump Suicide.

So fellow reefers what should i do? take the cover off and give full reign to my overpriced LED's or continue down this path of salt creep and a UVless tank?

PS Dont buy G2's they have no controller or dimmer, I thought in this day and age that would be standard, apparently not in China. :cry:
I use a glass top as I have a suicidal cleaner wrasse. We also lost a lot of water to evaporation without it.
I'm open to going without though, as it would mean less cleaning off salt from the glass.

aquajeep
04-09-2011, 05:07 AM
my glass top broke.only difference i have noticed is lots of evaporation so now i have to fill my top up bucket every 3 days instead of 5-6 days.gay balls! i like it better with glass top personally because of this but will run without until the day comes and i can afford my starfire cube ;-)

DisneyCoralReef
05-24-2011, 06:56 PM
That is a good question. When I was sold the tank, I was sold a glass cover, which bothers me because it looks like it may not be needed-wasted money. Gah! Great thread, lots of information.

parkinsn
05-24-2011, 08:56 PM
That is a good question. When I was sold the tank, I was sold a glass cover, which bothers me because it looks like it may not be needed-wasted money. Gah! Great thread, lots of information.

Have a look here. I would drop the glass lid.

http://reeftools.com/nn/how-to-build-a-screen-top-for-your-tank/#

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74674